Geocaching as a "sport"

Whenever I call it a sport my wife asks if it's an Olympic event yet.

Personally I think you are using semantics to point out people who are out caching and losing weight or not. Since when did this become the skinny people's game? Do you have to be slim before you find your first cache?

According to the definition of the word "sport" it would apply. But it doesn't mean that anyone needs to be athletic or anything.

Look at some of those professional Bowlers/Golfers/Fishermen/Etc... I'm sure I could out distance them anyday! Hike on fellow Sportsmen/women! :blink:

Sport or not physical exertion is not the only variable in the formula of weight loss. Controlling calorie intake is just as important and with today's easily available high fat and high caloric (sugar) foods, it's no wonder that weight loss is so elusive to so many people. Any exercise is better than none.

So here's my question -- is Geocaching really a "sport" in the sense that it is physically exerting, or are only certain caches physically exerting and most people who are fit are generally the type who would be fit anyway?

Nowhere is it written that all sports require intense physical exercise. It's a sport in the same sense that fishing, hunting, bowling, golf and archery are sports. They fit the definition of sport according to dictionary, you buy the equipment in the sporting goods section and some are in the Olympics (Bowling at one time and archery).

On average, how often do you do a physically-exerting cache compared to driving, stopping, roaming around for a few hundred yards, and getting back into your car / van / scooter / other non-physical vehicle?

I'd say roughly half of my finds involve hikes of a mile or more.

On average, how often do you do a physically-exerting cache compared to driving, stopping, roaming around for a few hundred yards, and getting back into your car / van / scooter / other non-physical vehicle?

To answer your question, every chance I get. But living in (more or less) the city means that sometimes I can't get out for a satisfyingly grueling hike. I suspect most geocachers would take a gorgeous hike over the alternative... at least most of us "old-schoolers" :(:lol::blink::(

Sumo Wrestling is a sport. I'm not so sure about WWF but I'd not tangle with those guys just the same. Both feature some hefty dudes.

Weight is not a factor in determining what a sport is. It's a side effect.. All those fat folks would probably be fatter but for geocaching. Some pro athletes get pretty chunky in the off season as they keep up their peak season eating habits.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I think it's as much a sport as golf. *ducks out of the way of indignant golfers*

It's at least exercise. It may not be rigorous, but it gets a person outside and is sort of competative. I personally would not have gotten my big geobutt off the couch if it weren't for geocaching.

...some are in the Olympics (Bowling at one time and archery).

Technically, Croquet was once an olympic sport (see bottom of the page). That's about as inactive as it can get :D

As for what exercise I do... I typically bike to most caches, which generally involve at least 20km of biking per outing... often more.

Edited by Kabuthunk

<snip>

Most of the caches I find involve a reasonably-long hike. I have no interest, with the price of gas as high as it is now, and with traffic the way it is now, in driving around to find small containers hidden in urban, or suburban, settings. My preference is to park the car and get out and hike from one location. idea.gif

If I can't find caches along a hiking trail, well then I'll just go out and hide some. :D

:D I don't really think of Geocaching as a sport... it's more of a hobby. Each person caches for his/her own reasons. Some happen to like numbers, some like icons, some just like to be out and about. As for the cachers' size, who really cares??? This isn't a beauty contest. I like people for who they are not what they look like.

I was just happy (and surprised) to see so many PEOPLE in one place that share a common interest.

That brings to mind an observation I've always made. There are some cachers who complain about the park and grabs, but they always want to find the closest possible parking. I do understand if you park somewhere that makes the cache area inaccessable due to tresspassing/rivers/lakes/etc, but say a park has 3 parking areas near the cache....why drive around to get 500' closer to the cache if there's a perfectly good trailhead at a parking spot a little further away?

Edited by Mr. 0

When dealing with geocaching as a "sport", forget the exercise issue as that is not relevant. If geocaching is ever going to earn "sport" status it will have to have a clearly defined "set of rules" to operate by and from what I've seen over the years, not too many folks want to play by any rules!!!!

I wouldn't call it a sport either. Sports to me involved opposing forces battling against eachother.

Also, as being one of the aforementioned "fat cachers" (accurate but inelegant), I wanted to point out that "physically exerting" is in the eye of the beholder. At this point, I can't hike over 3 miles without feeling like I'm going to pass out. Last year, I could barely do 1 mile. To a lot of other people, that is barely a stroll in the park. Still, does walking 3 miles instead of 10 make it less physically exerting? Nope. It might even be more so for me because I am fat.

I must say, though, that it is simply fabulous to find a sport/hobby/whatever that people of all sizes enjoy and can feel comfortable doing.

Wouldn't be great to see Geocaching become an "official sport" and incorporated into an event such as the World Games???? It doesn't mean that everyone who participates has to do so at a competitive level. I'm sure most would stay right where they are now and participate at the recreational level but seeing it elevated to an official sport would be great.

Whenever I call it a sport my wife asks if it's an Olympic event yet.

Personally I think you are using semantics to point out people who are out caching and losing weight or not. Since when did this become the skinny people's game? Do you have to be slim before you find your first cache?

"There are only three true sports - mountain climbing, bullfighting and motor racing - all the rest being games." Ernest Hemmingway

one little point, the olympics... weren't they originally contests on violence?

The original Olympic Games in ancient Greece were limited to men, who competed in the nude.

So does that mean if geocaching is a true (olympic) sport, Nudecacher is the only true geocacher? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure any sport where you have to try and conseal yourself from the general public will become a merchandizing mecca (the true judge of a capitalistic sport).

Can you imagine a geocascher in a NASCAR style suit or sponcership on thier car, being able to avoid being muggles?

:rolleyes:

If driving in an oval making left hand turns for hours is a sport than Caching certainly qualifies....if sitting in a tree stand on cold autumn days not making a sound but still coming home empty handed is a sport than Caching qualifies....if beer pong is a sport than Caching qualifies....if my year in little league standing in the outfield looking at the ants and only getting on base by getting hit by the ball count as sport than Caching most DEFINATELY counts.