New Yahoo Maps on cache pages

Lizzy

I like the new maps. Gives a general area picture & the detail similar to the old maps & loads up quickly. Thank you!

Also like the new "send to GPS link" on my search caches listings. Haven't tried it out yet, but it looks like it's a nice feature.

Anyone found where you actually download the plugin off the Garmin website though? Its easier navigating the English channel with all ferries crossing and a thick fog! At night time. In a storm! (but then it wouldn't be foggy...)

But you get what I mean...

nice idea with the maps but next to useless for most regional areas in Australia ie the detail for Yahoo maps is very poor so it gives you no idea which road its near etc...

I think the mapping needs to be configurable as on vendor doesn't fit all in this case

I like the new maps. Gives a general area picture & the detail similar to the old maps & loads up quickly. Thank you!

Also like the new "send to GPS link" on my search caches listings. Haven't tried it out yet, but it looks like it's a nice feature.

Humm... the new maps may become somewhat usable, but as they are now most caches worth their salt will be the only thing shown on the map. A red star on a green background doesn't tell anyone much. Unless these are simply for the urban cacher, the scale should be increased so that some roads show up so they are useful is seeing approximately where the cache is in relation to something else. Include perhaps double or maybe even triple the area. Almost all my caches are the only detail on the map. If we need more information we can look for it, but these maps should be scaled so they can be good for sorting out what to do and what to skip.

Humm... the new maps may become somewhat usable, but as they are now most caches worth their salt will be the only thing shown on the map. A red star on a green background doesn't tell anyone much. Unless these are simply for the urban cacher, the scale should be increased so that some roads show up so they are useful is seeing approximately where the cache is in relation to something else. Include perhaps double or maybe even triple the area. Almost all my caches are the only detail on the map. If we need more information we can look for it, but these maps should be scaled so they can be good for sorting out what to do and what to skip.

This is a feature. If the only thing that shows is a red star on a green or gray background then you know this cache is not an LPC :blink:

nice idea with the maps but next to useless for most regional areas in Australia ie the detail for Yahoo maps is very poor so it gives you no idea which road its near etc...

I think the mapping needs to be configurable as on vendor doesn't fit all in this case

In the United Kingdom forums, people have been working with Greasemonkey to replace the Yahoo and Google maps with Ordnance Survey maps. With the changes that Groundspeak have done (which I don't have an overall problem with, they're entitled to do that) the greasemonkey scripts have stopped working. The greasemonkey gurus have already implemented the changes and we're back on our 1:50,000 maps.

A link to the greasemonkey forum map chat.

With a dial-up connection and Yahoo maps, might as well count players in remote areas like ours out. There's no detail in Yahoo maps. And the slow server is now the mega-slow server, so planning a day of caching takes longer than most people have for play, even when they're retired.

Even though the old maps had some flaws, at least it was easy to figure out where one might look on a hard-copy map to pin-point the route that would be logical. With yahoo maps, we can't even tell what city or county to look in.

You also count out all dial-up players who once were able to see the Gallery now and then. It was slow, but do-able.

Some day broadband will be available in our area. Right now it's not! Boy do I hate that word "upgrade"!!!!!!

With a dial-up connection and Yahoo maps, might as well count players in remote areas like ours out. There's no detail in Yahoo maps. And the slow server is now the mega-slow server, so planning a day of caching takes longer than most people have for play, even when they're retired.

Even though the old maps had some flaws, at least it was easy to figure out where one might look on a hard-copy map to pin-point the route that would be logical. With yahoo maps, we can't even tell what city or county to look in.

You also count out all dial-up players who once were able to see the Gallery now and then. It was slow, but do-able.

Some day broadband will be available in our area. Right now it's not! Boy do I hate that word "upgrade"!!!!!!

If anything, it should have sped things up for you.

The maps would not have started to download until the page was loaded and the other cache information displayed to you.

I am sensitive to those that use dial up AND those that have to deal with very slow "wi-fi" connections at hotels, etc. I saw that this weekend while down in Seaside OR. I had to resort to using my cell phone as my modem instead of using the unreliable hotel system.

-Raine

I'm glad that there are maps again!! One feature I used on the old maps was the ability to click on the map, and then be taken to the mapquest site to zoom in and out to make a printable map to take along for areas that I wasn't fimaliar with.

The maps would not have started to download until the page was loaded and the other cache information displayed to you.

I am sensitive to those that use dial up AND those that have to deal with very slow "wi-fi" connections at hotels, etc. I saw that this weekend while down in Seaside OR. I had to resort to using my cell phone as my modem instead of using the unreliable hotel system.

-Raine

.. faster ... slower who cares if the data is worthless. If the Yahoo maps were accurate and covered an area of maybe 4 square miles instead of one square K then I might see your point but Bahb has it right. These maps make trip planning impossible while on geocaching.com. We will have to go off site to get area maps, print them, then back here to do our planning. Cumbersome compared to the good system that existed a few hours ago.

Edited by edscott

Cumbersome compared to the good system that existed a few hours ago.

... of which is completely broken. Bear with us while we move to a better and permanent mapping system.

If you're map focused you can use the Google Maps functionality on the site. We'll be allowing preferences in the near future to allow for users to switch their mapping options or turn them off completely. This will allow for specific map choices not currently provided (except for the occasional script).

Here is the map data that shows up on most of my cache pages.

ee1e9fc2-25a4-41a5-a24d-8b50d4dbd04f.jpg

Now someone please tell me how this is an improvement over the old system. Has anyone thought this through just a little?

Edited by edscott

It's a cool feature, but the design is a bit messed up. If the cache has some tbs listed and some bookmark lists boxes there's too much space between the new boxes and the cache description.

<snip>

Boy, is that ever true. There are three bookmarks on one of my caches, and below the box at the top, there is nothing but white space . . . You have to scroll the page to see the beginning of the cache description. :D If someone prints the page as it is, I don't think they will get any of the description . . .

Well, the new cache page maps aren't looking very useful for me. Perhaps this is a regional thing and in some areas they show more detail and are useful. I checked several caches and all I see is a red star unless I click and bring up the detailed map. Might as well just be an icon to click on.

I like all the changes recently implemented on the site. Including the new maps. I know a lot of people fear change.. and I think thats what most of the whining is about. But in a couple of months it won't be so new anymore and you might find that you just might like the changes.

One thing I have noticed and am incredibly happy about is that I haven't got any server busy errors since the upgraded site changes. In fact I haven't had to not read any "what does my money pay for" threads. Keep up the great work Groundspeak!

One thing I have noticed and am incredibly happy about is that I haven't got any server busy errors since the upgraded site changes. In fact I haven't had to not read any "what does my money pay for" threads. Keep up the great work Groundspeak!

forums.Groundspeak.com gave me a PHP database error about an hour ago. Max execution time exceeded.

-B

I don't see ANY maps on my pages..can someone figure THAT out for me?? I get a message that the maps are not compatable with my browser. yes..we have an old computor and only have dial-up available..so how do I fix this do do some serious caching that I was planning asap? Kinda the pits since I just got my premium upgrade last week....

the "old way" worked just fine here..sometimes I wish when things weren't broken nobody would try to fix them....

Edited by dsmyhubby

-Raine

.. faster ... slower who cares if the data is worthless. If the Yahoo maps were accurate and covered an area of maybe 4 square miles instead of one square K then I might see your point but Bahb has it right. These maps make trip planning impossible while on geocaching.com. We will have to go off site to get area maps, print them, then back here to do our planning. Cumbersome compared to the good system that existed a few hours ago.

Now someone please tell me how this is an improvement over the old system. Has anyone thought this through just a little?

Well, the new cache page maps aren't looking very useful for me. Perhaps this is a regional thing and in some areas they show more detail and are useful. I checked several caches and all I see is a red star unless I click and bring up the detailed map. Might as well just be an icon to click on.

Yes, the new maps are quite useless. Hopefully everything will pan out nicely.

On the other hand, this scale is perfect for urban caches, where I can see almost exactly the street corner closest to the park so I have a rough idea of how to drive there and possibly even where to park. At least I can actually see "oh, this cache is in the ___ subdivision, near ___ major road" rather than "It's somewhere in Ottawa" which was virtually useless.

Perhaps some intelligence is required on the part of the mapping software to auto-adjust the map scale according to the urban density of the area (not sure if there is currently enough meta-data to make this possible). So for your desert cache, the scale would increase until at least a highway or two were visible.

Edited by GreyingJay

I don't even get a star on a map..... **sniff** if this is it..then I have to say I am done geocaching unless I buy a new computor or something (???)

Please mods..jump in and tell us this is still being adjusted.

I too vote for the old way back...or a way for some of us to access the old way...

I must say I like what I see so far. I've yet to try the garmin instant download (not sure I really need it with pocket queries and all) but it will make for an interesting function. Keep up the good work. -Ken

As Tony the Tiger would say, I think the new stuff is GRRRREAATTTT!

I'm surprised Jeremy hasn't officially announced it yet.

Hopefully that means he realizes they don't have it quite right yet.

You're probably right, I see the GCXXX issue now and admittedly I haven't tried to see the maps for any rural caches yet. It is weird (though I like it in a way) that when you click on the Yahoo map you get the Google map with all the nearby caches.

I think I would like the new maps, but I can't get it to show the caches here at home. The "spinner" just sits there spinning. I know it can be a good thing, because it works fine at work. It would be a shame to "have to" get DSL and upgrade my computer just to see a map of the cache location. The way it is now, I would MUCH RATHER go back to the old maps. They worked fine!

If you look in the UK part of the forums there is a completely different view of the changes as the local co-ordinate system is no longer on the cache page and the conversion ishown (via a link) is not correct either.

Hope we can get the old maps back as unlike previous changes the prevailling view in the UK part of the forum is that this has been a step backwards.

See here http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=164459

Edited by Big Wolf

Agreed.

Even for Sydney CBD, the map has no detail at all. It's a waste of space. Google maps would be a much better alternative.

If you look in the UK part of the forums there is a completely different view of the changes as the local co-ordinate system is no longer on the cache page and the conversion ishown (via a link) is not correct either.

Hope we can get the old maps back as unlike previous changes the prevailling view in the UK part of the forum is that this has been a step backwards.

Yes it is a giant step backwards over here as well. Crap maps are crap maps no matter which side of the pond you're on.

Yes it is a giant step backwards over here as well. Crap maps are crap maps no matter which side of the pond you're on.

Actually, the ones we had were worse than yours.

I didn't often look at US cache pages, but the maps I saw seemed to be more detailed than this:

oldmapssj0.png

As noted the main complaint is the lack of OS Grid References (where UTM coordinates were on US pages).

I can live with the growing pains. A red star is all I get on most of my caches in Vermont also. I hope it changes soon. It is pretty annoying and adds zero to the page. I can wait though.

We to can live with the changing process most annoying so far

1. All the blank space when TB's Bookmarks etc. are involved.

2. That red star on a blank page

3. Who's watching

We can wait for the tweaks and twangs

I can live with the growing pains. A red star is all I get on most of my caches in Vermont also. I hope it changes soon. It is pretty annoying and adds zero to the page. I can wait though.

We to can live with the changing process most annoying so far

1. All the blank space when TB's Bookmarks etc. are involved.

2. That red star on a blank page

3. Who's watching

We can wait for the tweaks and twangs

Umm.. OK

1. What blank space?

2. What red star? Talking about the map that's in the desert with a red star?

3. Who's watching what?

-Raine

As Tony the Tiger would say, I think the new stuff is GRRRREAATTTT!

I'm surprised Jeremy hasn't officially announced it yet.

Hopefully that means he realizes they don't have it quite right yet.

I also notice that the maps are about 1 inch by 1 inch... you have to click on it to see it. Which means, when I print them out (going paperless soon), they print the same way. I like the maps the way they printed before, where I can see them and plan my attack route.

The map that shows in the bottom right hand corner of the page always shows me the map and caches around someplace in Washington State.