The Heebie-Jeebies before caching...

I think this is a geocaching topic...I mean it does have to do with caching...so...well, heck...here goes:

I was getting up today and thought I would do some caching. Most of the caches in my 50-mile radius have been found by me, with the exception of quite a few (60 added with MOGA being held this last March) around the Mark Twain Lake area. So, I figured I'd go tackle those...even renting a boat to nab two island ones there.

Well, I got all my stuff in the car and just as I was getting ready to go, GPS up and running, I had a premonition of sorts...kind of like half panic attack and half dreadful feelings. I just could not bring myself to go to the lake. Then...I swear to you...the news came on and told about the people that died on the water this weekend and they talked about a boy that drowned near an area of a big concentration of caches I was going to go for.

I couldn't go...I could drive anywhere *but* towards the lake. The weather was nice, the boat I thought about renting was very sea-worthy and all that...but I couldn't go. I finally ended up plucking a few caches near Columbia that I haven't gotten yet.

Have any of you had feelings like that in the pit of your stomach that you just *shouldn't* go to a particular place to cache or cache at all that day?

I still have the heebie-jeebies... :blink:

I have never had anything like that happen with caching. A partially burnt, dead body of a young woman was found in/near one of my favorite caching parks this morning though. That is a bit creepy. But just in the standard creepy sense, nothing involving premonitions and such.

Anyway, I figure if something like that happens, it is best to heed it whether you really believe in such things or not. Better safe than sorry!

Edited by carleenp

I think this is a geocaching topic...I mean it does have to do with caching...so...well, heck...here goes:

I was getting up today and thought I would do some caching. Most of the caches in my 50-mile radius have been found by me, with the exception of quite a few (60 added with MOGA being held this last March) around the Mark Twain Lake area. So, I figured I'd go tackle those...even renting a boat to nab two island ones there.

Well, I got all my stuff in the car and just as I was getting ready to go, GPS up and running, I had a premonition of sorts...kind of like half panic attack and half dreadful feelings. I just could not bring myself to go to the lake. Then...I swear to you...the news came on and told about the people that died on the water this weekend and they talked about a boy that drowned near an area of a big concentration of caches I was going to go for.

I couldn't go...I could drive anywhere *but* towards the lake. The weather was nice, the boat I thought about renting was very sea-worthy and all that...but I couldn't go. I finally ended up plucking a few caches near Columbia that I haven't gotten yet.

Have any of you had feelings like that in the pit of your stomach that you just *shouldn't* go to a particular place to cache or cache at all that day?

I still have the heebie-jeebies... :blink:

I feel that it is great that you chose to listen to your gut sense. I always listen to such signals from the heart and gut; I feel that is how intuition speaks to us. And, I have a question for you: were you planning on wearing a PDF (personal floatation device), and also largely synthetic (i.e., non cotton) "dry" clothing at all times while you were aboard the boat? They can often make the difference, especially in cooler water (i.e., water below about 70 degrees) between survival and death, and can give you enuf time to get back aboard a boat safely if you capsize.

I feel that it is great that you chose to listen to your gut sense. I always listen to such signals from the heart and gut; I feel that is how intuition speaks to us. And, I have a question for you: were you planning on wearing a PDF (personal floatation device), and also largely synthetic (i.e., non cotton) "dry" clothing at all times while you were aboard the boat? They can often make the difference, especially in cooler water (i.e., water below about 70 degrees) between survival and death, and can give you enuf time to get back aboard a boat safely if you capsize.

Yes...I had all the necessary and proper gear for a boating excursion.

I don't know what triggered it, but man it made me think.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

Well geez, had you gone maybe you would have saved their life!!

Briansnat, I almost always agree with everything you say, but this one went too far. The OP stated that he STILL has the heebie-jeebies from that day and now you go an give him an open ticket, first-class guilt trip. If your comment was meant tounge-in-cheek, a smiley would have gone a long way.

Most of the caches in my 50-mile radius have been found by me, with the exception of quite a few (60 added with MOGA being held this last March) around the Mark Twain Lake area. So, I figured I'd go tackle those...even renting a boat to nab two island ones there.

(During the same time period as the event if I remember correctly)

A two-month manhunt for an accused murderer ended Saturday with the arrest of a man who dodged justice by hiding inside a hollowed-out tree and beneath a rock outcropping in the most remote woodlands of Missouri.

-- authorities say Neal escaped on foot into the nearby Mark Twain National Forest in the south-central part of the state.

police determined that Neal spent about 12 days -- from March 17 until March 29 -- inside a fallen, hollowed-out tree.

A two-month manhunt for an accused murderer ended Saturday with the arrest of a man who dodged justice by hiding inside a hollowed-out tree and beneath a rock outcropping in the most remote woodlands of Missouri.

-- authorities say Neal escaped on foot into the nearby Mark Twain National Forest in the south-central part of the state.

police determined that Neal spent about 12 days -- from March 17 until March 29 -- inside a fallen, hollowed-out tree.

Presumably they found him by noticing the pile of parallel sticks at the end of the trunk. :(

Well geez, had you gone maybe you would have saved their life!!

Briansnat, I almost always agree with everything you say, but this one went too far. The OP stated that he STILL has the heebie-jeebies from that day and now you go an give him an open ticket, first-class guilt trip. If your comment was meant tounge-in-cheek, a smiley would have gone a long way.

Thanks. I mean, I still have that feeling and all, but I don't really have a guilt trip going on. If you read my OP, I said I listened to the news and heard about the boy drowning...my planned trip was after the fact, not before.

I was going to go after a hiking cache at the lake and it was the beginning of "snake season". I didn't go that weekend because I had dreamed of a nasty snake encounter and the topic of snakes came up at work a couple of times by some co-workers. Got the cache the next weekend!!!! No Problem.

I was going to go after a hiking cache at the lake and it was the beginning of "snake season". I didn't go that weekend because I had dreamed of a nasty snake encounter and the topic of snakes came up at work a couple of times by some co-workers. Got the cache the next weekend!!!! No Problem.

Yup, ya gotta watch out for those Giant Anacondas that ply the waters of Stillhouse Hollow Lake!!!!! :ph34r::(:(

Last year a friend and I were going to a old school site to coin hunt. The school had been closed back in the 40s but most of it was still intact. Yes I had a feeling that it was going to be a interesting day.

We parked in the front of the old school and started coing hunting. I went one way and my friend the other.

The old school is rather big so taking my time I made it to the back in about 25 min. I saw the car and flach about the same time. There were two quick shots that hit, one just in front of me and the other just behind me as I ducked back around the corner. I did not know where my friend was but I yelled for him to watch out.

I could hear the car take off around the other side of the school and then two more shots.

I found my friend trying to get under the truck as the car left the yard. He did not get hit but the truck had a window shot out of it.

We called the local Law and a DPS officer came out. He found two empty cans of starter fluid and some other things that had been dumped. We gave a discripton of the car but no tag #. He told us that we had probably found a moble crack lab and said that we were very lucky.

The week after I started checking into getting a license to carry and then got a call from my friend who ask me if I wanted to take a class with him. We had a great time and learned alot.

Bottom line is that you never know. Snakes and animals around here dont bother me at all. Its the two legged ones that shoot at you that get my attention.

Even if you dont want to get a license the class is well worth taking.

I get feelings of doom and apprehension all the time. I ignore them, because they're almost always wrong (and the few times they're right could easily be chalked up to coincidence). But then, I have a number of anxiety disorders.

That's not to be confused with common sense, though. If there's a rational reason why I shouldn't do something, I don't do it. The tricky part is separating "rational" from "rationalization" :rolleyes: .

You did what you felt was right, I would of done the same. Besides you can always go get those caches another time when it feels right. I enjoy caching, but if it doesn't feel right, I'm not gonna enjoy it as much. Follow your gut, it sure won't put you in a bad situation.

Edited by simplyred

While visiting London, I had a chance to go visit a friend from High School who was

going to Oxford...Anyway, when the time came to board the bus I was struck

with the most intense, blinding pain in my head. I simply could not do anything except

step back off the bus and stagger into the station. Instantly, no more headache. OK.

Since the bus is still boarding, I go towards the bus and wham! Intense pain returns.

I gave up and let the bus leave without me and voila, no headache. Not really like the

premonition/ heebie Jeebies, but clearly I was not going to Oxford. Period. For the rest

of the trip I was fine and my poor friend was completely bewildered as to my explanation.

Me too really.

There is a cache only a mile from my house, easily within walking distance. A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

The last find is nearly a year ago and it looks like I have to walk nearly 1/4 mile through some guy's property to get to it. I walked over there a few weeks ago to find it and just had a feeling I shouldn't be there.

I'm leaving it alone for now, at least until either someone else finds it or the cache owner e-mails me back letting me know it's at least still active. It's been three weeks now with no reply.

if you don't follow the little inner voice i thunk your not really in 'tune' with youself. there was something inside you telling you not to go that day. there's lotta folks that don't heed warnings such as you had and wound up in serious trouble. it's always best to be safe than sorry or worse.

a small case in point: while backpacking in the grand canyon on north bass trail. after spending the night at the old surveyors cabin and waking up in the morning there were cougar tracks outside the window. nothing to be alarmed about right. well we follered the trail and the tracks most of the 2miles to the trail head with no problem. when we got to the vehicle(rented car) the battery was dead. it was about a 30mile walk out for help, so i left bobbi(wife) in the car and started walking thinking that i wouldn't have to go far for help and it turned out that some great folks were just getting ready to go down bass trail and were eating breakfast. they gave me some of their breakfast and actually had jumper cables and came and gave us a jump. we've never been able to contact those great nice folks, but they sure are remembered by both of us after a 400yard 'hike' out of a possible 30mile one. it was just one of those great feelings that help for us'ns wouldn't be to far away. sadly bobbi didn't get any of their breakfast...slurpin good it was.

so i say go with the inner voice, it may be wrong, it maybe right. what's the harm in listening which is becoming a lost art as folks filling the air with their talk seems to be their main agenda for just fillin up the soluitude and quietness with babble. some folks will say i'm making no sence with this post, but read it and ponder if what you're feeling or saying really has any meaning.

Always listen to your inner voice, it is a Gift and never wrong. Saved our family's lives as we were attacked, but the premonition helped me to be able to protect our family.

Having "it" is probably not that rare, but to "listen" is.

I often hike by myself, without telling anyone where I am going. Last Sunday, I thought to email someone before I left for a six-mile hike. :anitongue:

Then, when I got to the location, my GPSr couldn't find the satellites . . . :rolleyes:

I started to drive home, but after a mile or so, the GPSr finally figured out where it was. :anitongue:

I still went on the hike and got back safely, but maybe I wasn't supposed to be on the trail at the original time I got there . . . <_<

:rolleyes:

I guess it all depends on your view of the world (both physical and spiritual) and how you want to interpret examples of good fortune. Is it just luck or is it Divine in nature? There have been many example in my life that have made me sit up and take notice with a big "Wow".

I guess it all depends on your view of the world (both physical and spiritual) and how you want to interpret examples of good fortune. Is it just luck or is it Divine in nature? There have been many example in my life that have made me sit up and take notice with a big "Wow".

It's just luck, combined with rationalising based on "count the hits and ignore the misses".

But if you can find out a way to demonstrate the existence of any such phenomenon, that nice Mr. Randi has a million bucks for you.

This doesnt have anything to do with geocaching but here it goes anyways, A few years back I and a group of friends went to Six Flags New England, while waiting in line for the Superman Ride I just happened to touch one of the pillars holding up the ride, and got an instant bad premonition about going on it. Instantly sent a shock wave of fear through my body, needless to say I left my friends in line and made a bee line for the exit. I tried to convince them to get out of line but they would budge. after wasting 45 Minn. would you? They asked me why they should even think about getting out of line, I told them there was a problem with the ride and if I got on it would happen with me on it. They all laughed at me and said see you later. The ride for them was OK . Well 2 weeks later I caught the news and the headline was Superman Ride CRACHES in terminal. what happened was that the brakes failed as the second train was coming into the loading area slammed into the first train and sent it up the ramp about 80 feet, that's not including the area it traveled before getting to the ramp. I wasnt afraid of the ride inpiticular just got a bad feeling about it. You see I used to be a ( Ride Jock ) at a traveling carnival, I set them up, ran them, and tore them down, So I learned to trust my instincts about rides and look for things when I got a bad feeling about them. My boss loved me in that since because, I would usually find problems before they happened. So now I have learned to trust my instincts. P.S. It works good on cops when there hiding to.

Well, I wouldn't call my experience a premonition, more like just being situationally aware and acting on my gut.

I had been caching for a few hours in a few different parks earlier this spring and it was getting toward dusk, but I wanted to snag one more that seemed like it'd be easy (from what I'd read).

As I drove into the park the parking lot was to the south end, there was a pavilion/shelter area in the middle, and the cache was supposed to be in the woods to the north of the shelter and the picnic tables and stuff.

Well, the shelter had very low sloping roofs, with about eight skateboarding teenagers on the roof, and a couple more standing around on the ground.

There were no other cars in the lot, and as I slowly drove in (10mph posted) I could feel all eyes on my car.

I didn't like the idea of:

A)Leaving my car unattended in the lot

B)Walking through the group of youts, twice, on the way to and from the cache

C)Walking into the woods alone, at dusk, while being watched by said youts

So, did a u-turn in the lot and left the park.

I ended up going back another day during full light and made the find without incident.

I don't know if I would've encountered any trouble had I tried to find it the first evening, but I do know I would've been worried from the moment I stepped out of the car to the moment I got back in to drive away, so I would not have enjoyed any of it, and that's kind of my basic criteria for hunting for caches.

Am I having a good time? If the answer is 'no', then I'm not going to do it.

About premonition though, any of you ever driving along at 5-10mph OVER the limit and you get a sense you should dial it back a bit, only to see a cop in the next few minutes?

I love it when that happens!

~k

About premonition though, any of you ever driving along at 5-10mph OVER the limit and you get a sense you should dial it back a bit, only to see a cop in the next few minutes?

I love it when that happens!

~k

Never had the Heebie Jeebies before caching, but after is a different story. After returning home from a caching exedition last weekend I almost got smoked by a driver that ran a red light. At that particular intersection the speed is 55mph with no decline in speed. When my light turned green I proceeded to go and my inner voice told me to look right before completing my turn. This guy came within 2 feet of my truck at 55-60mph. That was a close one! :blink:

The interesting thing about the idea of a premonition is that it necessitates having a cause happen after its effect. I can't think of any other example, short of a science fiction or fantasy story, in which the cause happens second and the effect first. No, I take that back. Acts of God, litterally speaking, often imply it.

Does anyone know of any examples where the cause came after the effect?

Well it's not related to geocaching, but I can think of two times in my life that I was walking around with the deep feeling that something terrible was about to happen in my life. I had this deep sense of dread for a few weeks - about what I had no idea.

I'm happy to report that nothing of note happened either time.

My wife, Gift, and I were driving through North Carolina a couple of years ago and decided to try Forbidden Tower since it was close to the road. Here's my log from the page:

B)July 5, 2004 by Mushtang (664 found)

It will be hard to describe in this online log exactly how scary and creepy this find was. Gift and I found this one on our way home to Atlanta from Virginia Beach. As we were driving down 85 we saw a few caches on the GPSr as being nearby, read the descriptions on the laptop, and decided to try a couple. The description for this one seemed a little over the top so we knew we had to do it.

As we were walking down the trail (or path, or whatever the road has become after all these years) we were very hot and sweaty and I made a joke about the temperature saying, "Where's that temperature drop? I sure could use it right now". Just about then we heard sounds of what we thought were people talking coming from the area we were walking to. Fellow cachers perhaps? We thought it would be neat to meet some locals out on a cache hunt. But then the sounds began to sound more like chants and less like conversation. The closer we got the more clearly we heard chanting and moaning, and just then the temperature drop showed up. We were chilled to our bones. Very creepy!

We thought about turning around and just heading back to our car but decided it would be a shame to come this far and not at least try to find it. Getting closer to the coordinates, just when we expected to be able to see who was in the area, the chanting suddenly stopped. There was complete silence until we realized we were standing still and began to walk again. Gift and I were sure we'd meet somebody at the site but all we saw was the old abandoned structure.

Before we began to look for the cache we first wanted to check out the building to make sure we were safe. Inside we found a raised platform about the size of a large desk, that had a big puddle of shiny liquid (blood?) on top and a trail of it leading away. Whoever was here before us had obviously grabbed whatever was on the table and left. There were also about two dozen candles sitting around that must have just been blown out as a couple were still smoking a little.

We just wanted to sign the log and get the heck out of there so with a little further searching (and feeling a little like Indiana Jones) I found the container and brought it to Gift. We both signed it, I returned it, and we left in a big hurry. If the people we heard were still there, they were definitely hiding from us and doing a good job of it. We never heard anything else from them on our way back to the car but that was a good thing for sure.

Thanks for the cache, but I could have done without the weird people that we heard but never saw. At least I hope they were people.

BTW, this was my 250th find!!! Woo-HOO!

My Wife has a similar log with her story on that page too.

At some point within a month or so after that log I got an email from someone at Today's Cacher magazine wanting me to write an article about this find. I had to decline, however, since we'd completely made up the story just to fit the cache description. :lol:

At some point within a month or so after that log I got an email from someone at Today's Cacher magazine wanting me to write an article about this find. I had to decline, however, since we'd completely made up the story just to fit the cache description. :lol:

LOL! B) Great creative writing, very well done. :)

I still have the heebie-jeebies... :rolleyes:

Had this happen this week. I live in SD and am in Tampa for work. Thought I take a bit of time and go caching. Came across one that I thought was just inside a park. But it was back in the woods a couple hundred feet. So I started in, came across a little clearing that had some beer bottles with sticks in them...weird but ok. Then I looked into the woods and saw something hanging from a tree that looked like a small gatorade cooler with a candle burnring on it and something hanging off it. No idea what it was and even though I was really curious, this little 'ping' kept going on in my head to turn around and go back to the car.

So I did. If I had been in SD, I would have taken a look at it. (concealed weapons permit and a Glock 10mm gives a little confidence boost).