Compasses

This question is for the members who use a compass to help them in their "drunken bee dance" when closing-in on a cache...

Can anyone recommend a keychain style compass that is durable?

I have had to throw out two keychain compasses that have had their magnetic disks gradually sieze up from an apparent failure of their pivot bearings. Each of the pivot bearings started to act up after 2-3 months of use. Either I am very hard on keychain compasses or some are built very cheap.

Thanks for the help.

This question is for the members who use a compass to help them in their "drunken bee dance" when closing-in on a cache...

Can anyone recommend a keychain style compass that is durable?

I have had to throw out two keychain compasses that have had their magnetic disks gradually sieze up from an apparent failure of their pivot bearings. Each of the pivot bearings started to act up after 2-3 months of use. Either I am very hard on keychain compasses or some are built very cheap.

Thanks for the help.

When my GPS starts to bounce I just put it in my pocket and look for places that I would hide a cache. :blink: Edited by TrailGators

You could try one of those pin on compasses that you can get at Wal-Mart. They are a clear liquid filled ball with a compass inside that rights itself no matter how much you twist it. I keep one pinned to my GPS case on my belt.

I got about 3 of them for a buck or two on clearance, but I think normally they run $1.50.

I rarely use a compass Geocaching. Your GPS shouldn't bounce so bad as to need one most of the time.

I have yet to use a compass but when this happens i line the GPS N with what direction i think is North and it usually points me right to it.

I have looked for an affordable compass but have not bought one. It could be that i just dont know how they work- but when i played with them at stores i will take 2 or 3 and see if they all point the same way. They usually kinda do but they are about 120° difference sometimes.

Actually, YOUR WATCH CAN BE a compass for you. Try the following, it works! (Assuming it is daytime, and you can find the sun). Works best with an Analog Watch, but can be done with a Digital and a little imagination.

Point the Hour Hand at the Sun. Halfway between that hand and the 12 is SOUTH. Works AM or PM when the sun is out, Northern Hemisphere or Southern Hemisphere. Does not adjust for DST though!

Actually, YOUR WATCH CAN BE a compass for you. Try the following, it works! (Assuming it is daytime, and you can find the sun). Works best with an Analog Watch, but can be done with a Digital and a little imagination.

Point the Hour Hand at the Sun. Halfway between that hand and the 12 is SOUTH. Works AM or PM when the sun is out, Northern Hemisphere or Southern Hemisphere. Does not adjust for DST though!

Why use a watch at all!!!! You can just use sticks if you have a sunny day!!!!! But I believe the OP would like to determine north in a somewhat rapid fashion. That said, a GPS with an electronic compass, a pin-on/clip-on compass, or a wrist compass will work fine. While my GPS has an electronic compass, I always carry a low tech wrist compass at a minimum. It's that "Be Prepared" thang!!!!!

OBTW, Gator Man, I'll be in your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks.

Sticks have a "12" on 'em? :blink:

Eagletrek, how close 'ya gonna be? My Email is on my profile, get in touch before you come "South".

When using sticks, there no need for numbers!!!! Find out how by checking out: http://www.learn-orienteering.org/old/nocompass1.html

I'll be in Jupiter and the surrounding area. I plan on caching in and around Jonathan Dickinson State Park. I'll drop you a line before I depart.

OK, sticks work if you have 8 or 9 hours, but you must reverse the logic once you cross the equator. The wrist watch method takes just a few seconds and works the same both sides of the equator. (Plus your link even mentions the wrist watch method too, so backatcha!)

I don't know, maybe I'll just start taking a glass of water and a needle with me... or look for ants???

Eagletrek, JDSP is a motherlode of caches, somewhere over 60 there. I hope you like hikes in the woods!

OK, sticks work if you have 8 or 9 hours, but you must reverse the logic once you cross the equator. The wrist watch method takes just a few seconds and works the same both sides of the equator. (Plus your link even mentions the wrist watch method too, so backatcha!)

I don't know, maybe I'll just start taking a glass of water and a needle with me... or look for ants???

Eagletrek, JDSP is a motherlode of caches, somewhere over 60 there. I hope you like hikes in the woods!

Hikes are what I'm lookin' for!!!! Hence the "trek" part of my handle. Been seeing way too many PNGs in Central Texas lately.

You could try one of those pin on compasses that you can get at Wal-Mart. They are a clear liquid filled ball with a compass inside that rights itself no matter how much you twist it. I keep one pinned to my GPS case on my belt.

I got about 3 of them for a buck or two on clearance, but I think normally they run $1.50.

I rarely use a compass Geocaching. Your GPS shouldn't bounce so bad as to need one most of the time.

Since I do much geocaching impulsively in good and bad weather, it sounds like a small, ball-shaped compass on a keychain is my best bet. My keys are one of the few things that I ALWAYS carry with me. The keychain, disk-shaped compasses either have unreliable pivot points or they are prone to temporary failure due to static electricity buildup. I have yet to figure out which one it is.

Thanks for all of the advice!! ;)