Simultaneous Topo and City Navigator?

RE: Garmin 60CSx

Can I load both City Navigator and a Topo map together, in one download?

If so, what does the display look like? Are the maps super-imposed or is it selectable between the two, for a given area?

Edited by MikeSD7

Yes, you can load them simutaniously to your GPSr. Hovever, only one is visible at a time. I believe you can have all the maps "on" on the GPSr, but only the one on "top" is visible. To see any underneath, you have to turn the top one(s) off.

I assume there will be some sort of new Menu Option, after I load a topo? I don't see anything now on the GPSr to do this. I have the basemap and CN. I don't see any way of turning either off to switch between these. Perhaps it will be different, if and when I load a top?

I don't have my GPSr here, so I can't verify, but this is what I remember. On the map screen, bring up the options. On the "tab" that is the I for information, you should see a list of installed maps. THose with checks are "on" and those without are "off". So it is from there where you would switch between map sets.

Yes. You choose the maps you want on your computer first, City Navigator maps segments, then Topo maps segments. Then you send all the maps to the GPSr at the same time.

Once they are on your GPSr, you can choose between the City Navigator or Topo maps.

If you have the Topo maps showing during a hike, and you get back to your vehicle, make sure you go to the Map Menu and "Show" City Navigator maps again before you try to do a "Go To" and "Follow Road" or the poor GPSr will get very confused if you are a long distance away from a main highway.

Ask me how I learned that . . . icon_smile_blush.gif

Cool, I just found where this is changed. Under Setup, the "I" icon at the top is where I can check them on or off. Only one line per scroll though. And with lots of maps, that's a lot of scrolling. However, I was able to see that if I unchecked my state, the basemap appeared. If I check CN for my state, it returned.

Now, about the installation process.

It might become obvious, when I get them but right now, in my MapSource, I see a map of North America, in the right pane of MapSource, for my CN maps. If I install a Topo, it will cover the same area, I guess. I assume I still see North America with both topo and CN. Will there will be some sort of way to select either Topo, CN or both, from the same Map, to download?

Thanks,

In the Mapsource tool bar, there is an irregularly-shaped icon. That is the Maptool.

You use that to select the map tiles you want. You choose the maps from the CN, then switch to Topo and pick the maptiles on it. In the "Map tab" you see which maps are in the list. For people with non 'x' GPSrs, they have to check the list carefully to make sure they are not going over the amount of memory their GPSr has. The eTrex Legend only has 8 MB. My Vista C only has 24 MB. :blink:

Cool, I just found where this is changed. Under Setup, the "I" icon at the top is where I can check them on or off. Only one line per scroll though. And with lots of maps, that's a lot of scrolling. However, I was able to see that if I unchecked my state, the basemap appeared. If I check CN for my state, it returned.

When you get to the "I" press the menu button once more. This opens a new window that allows you to show or hide all the CN or the TOPO maps at once.

In the Mapsource tool bar, there is an irregularly-shaped icon. That is the Maptool.

You use that to select the map tiles you want. You choose the maps from the CN, then switch to Topo and pick the maptiles on it. In the "Map tab" you see which maps are in the list. For people with non 'x' GPSrs, they have to check the list carefully to make sure they are not going over the amount of memory their GPSr has. The eTrex Legend only has 8 MB. My Vista C only has 24 MB. :blink:

A suggested clarification: when you have both topos and CN loaded on your PC, you can only view one set at a time just like on the GPS. There is a drop down menu on the MapSource tool bar where you select which map set to display. Select CN from the drop down menu in MapSource, select the map tiles you want to download to the GPS using the map select tool as described, then toggle to the topos and select the topo tiles you want to down load. These will be added to the map tab on the left side of the screen. When finished selecting maps from all sources, then download the whole lot to the GPS.

NeoGeo has provided a nice step by step on modifying the registry so that you can copy the topo CDs to your harddrive and not deal with the CDs any more. I highly recommend doing this.

The total memory requirements of the selected maps will show at the bottom of the maps tab. You are limited to roughly 2050 total map tiles regardless of the size of your unit's memory. With the topos, you will exceed the tile count limit long before you reach the memory limit of a 2Gb memory card.

Happy trekking.