I wonder sometimes....

roy&roz

I live very near Raleigh NC. I am new to geocaching. When I realized GW5 was being held there, then read about a really big cache hid for that event, I thought, why not place a TB in that big cahce and it can move on much easier with all the cachers coming in for GW5. So a week prior to GW5 we meet up with friends and find RBC. I place my first TB in there and watch it. Wow, it get's picked up before GW5. Then I find out it get's dropped in a massive pile at GW5. What gives? Does this make sense? I can only hope now someone found it at GW5 and will move it on to it's desired mission. Sometimes I wonder.

I live very near Raleigh NC. I am new to geocaching. When I realized GW5 was being held there, then read about a really big cache hid for that event, I thought, why not place a TB in that big cahce and it can move on much easier with all the cachers coming in for GW5. So a week prior to GW5 we meet up with friends and find RBC. I place my first TB in there and watch it. Wow, it get's picked up before GW5. Then I find out it get's dropped in a massive pile at GW5. What gives? Does this make sense? I can only hope now someone found it at GW5 and will move it on to it's desired mission. Sometimes I wonder.

What, exactly, are you wondering about?

Of course it will get moved on. The 'massive pile' of bugs at GW5 isn't a pile of trash or a dumping ground where all good TB's go to die. All of the bugs taken to GW5, or ANY geocaching event, (many are specifically taken to events so they can be seen by everyone AND moved on by people who can help the bug towards it's goal... ) will be picked up and moved.

It seems your goal in dropping the bug early , to be picked up and moved by someone attending GW5, has been met.

michelle

Edited by CurmudgeonlyGal

I like the TB's i see that expressly say do not take this to events. It seems they get lost that way. When we get any bugs, we will also not want them to go to events.

If your TB has a mission there is no better way to get it headed in the right direction than to have it show up at an event.

No, there was not "one big pile", all TBs are checked for mission and destination and put in bins according to where they are headed so that attendees going that way can help move them along appropriate to the mission.

Interesting attitude and position for a "newbie", do I smell socks?

The massive pile of bugs at GW5 (some 3,000 or so) seems to have been handled very well, and were extremely well organized by destination. Barring the usual issues with TBs at events, it should be OK. I had one nice lady pop along with a suitcase of 120 bugs while I was working the table, all were handled with care and placed in the correct destination box.

I dropped off 6 and none have been moved out the event yet...people are still driving home, and the logs will come in time.

Michelle got it right... it moved exactly how you wanted it to. I don't see anything on your bug's page about NOT going to events.

If your TB has a mission there is no better way to get it headed in the right direction than to have it show up at an event.

No, there was not "one big pile", all TBs are checked for mission and destination and put in bins according to where they are headed so that attendees going that way can help move them along appropriate to the mission.

I figured it was just a good dose of 'new guy' ignorance and should have been posted in the 'new guy forum' instead of the 'crotchety old guy forum'.

Now I feel stupid for not thinking of 'sock'.

Hmph. :)

m

I figured it was just a good dose of 'new guy' ignorance and should have been posted in the 'new guy forum' instead of the 'crotchety old guy forum'.

Well, I've been put in my place. Sorry for not knowing how GW5 would work. My thoughts would be the RBC cache would be hit by many, and it was. So my instinct was right in placing it there ahead of the event. I just didn't know it would be mingling with other bugs at the event. I hope it enjoyed it;s fellowship there better than I'm enjoying my welcome here. :)

m

:) I am curious as to why you would accuse this person of being a sock when all they did was ask a question? Can you verify that or?? I have been geocaching for awhile too, and noticed that one of my TB's was also at GW and was concerned about how it would get moved... I had no idea. A friend who went there just came and told me that as fast as they were dropped, people were picking them up so they did move out quickly.

Well, I've been put in my place. Sorry for not knowing how GW5 would work. My thoughts would be the RBC cache would be hit by many, and it was. So my instinct was right in placing it there ahead of the event. I just didn't know it would be mingling with other bugs at the event. I hope it enjoyed it;s fellowship there better than I'm enjoying my welcome here. :)

m

One of my bugs was logged into GW5, I figured if there was any event where it wouldn't be lost, that would be it. Bugs at Geowoodstock events seem to have been handled very well in the past, and it sounds like this year was no different. I got the email today that someone picked the bug up, so all is well. But it's just a bug. If it disppears, eh, it happens.

As for the OP being a sock, he/she looks fine. He/she had a valid question/concern. :)

Anyway on topic. I have, or more correctly, my 6-year-old son has a TB that was dropped in that "pile" of bugs. I'm glad that it was. It stands a much better chance of getting to it's destination that way.

As far as GW5, the earlier posts seem to explain that they were well organized and ready to take the bug in and move them back out. I know from other events the bugs are placed in a particular spot and anyone who can help it meet it's goal takes it. It might take a day or two for the bug to be logged, but it will.

I have released bugs and coins that way before.

You released it. Let it be free.

Travel bugs. Yuck.

Exactly, if the owner has set it free, they really need to let go of it....

And, yes on the yick and yuck factors. I have never understood the fascination with travel bugs and geocoins, and even my own wife trades in the strange and disgusting nasty little creatures. If only I could get humans to realize that TBs and geocoins are baby space alien shapeshifters who use humans to transport them around the world, and if only I could get people to understand that these little aliens also are able to exert mind control on hapless geocachers... sigh!

As far as GW5, the earlier posts seem to explain that they were well organized and ready to take the bug in and move them back out. I know from other events the bugs are placed in a particular spot and anyone who can help it meet it's goal takes it. It might take a day or two for the bug to be logged, but it will.

I also like that info. I just imagined a big pile of bugs on a table in a big mess with everyone and their brother touching them.

Might as well ask and make myself look even dumber.....sock?

Don't feel bad - I'm an "old-timer" and I did not know why you should smell like socks.

Don't let negative reactions from one keep you from asking questions.

Welcome to the hobby and the forums.

You released it. Let it be free.

Travel bugs. Yuck.

Exactly, if the owner has set it free, they really need to let go of it....

And, yes on the yick and yuck factors. I have never understood the fascination with travel bugs and geocoins, and even my own wife trades in the strange and disgusting nasty little creatures. If only I could get humans to realize that TBs and geocoins are baby space alien shapeshifters who use humans to transport them around the world, and if only I could get people to understand that these little aliens also are able to exert mind control on hapless geocachers... sigh!

This is utter nonsense... how do I know? Because my TB told me so!!

Hobby?....wait....I thought I read this was a "sport" so I assumed this was banter like ballplayers use.

I've since learned that for every bug and coin turned in at GW5 they received a ticket for a drawing, so at least I feel better about that. I hope they won.

Edited by roy&roz

:(I am curious as to why you would accuse this person of being a sock when all they did was ask a question? Can you verify that or?? I have been geocaching for awhile too, and noticed that one of my TB's was also at GW and was concerned about how it would get moved... I had no idea. A friend who went there just came and told me that as fast as they were dropped, people were picking them up so they did move out quickly.

I'm wondering that as well. The OP's concern doesn't make him or her sound like a sock to me. Of course i could be wrong and the thing is, i have no earthly idea. Those of you that have this "sock sense",,, please, please, share it with the rest of us so that we don't get duped into posting on a thread opened by a real sock. :blink:

From the TB listings I still see on some event pages weeks and sometimes months after they are archived, leaving a TB at an event is a good way for it to disappear.

I understand that the TB collection at GW5 was well regulated, but that is not always the case.

Well, I've been put in my place. Sorry for not knowing how GW5 would work. My thoughts would be the RBC cache would be hit by many, and it was. So my instinct was right in placing it there ahead of the event. I just didn't know it would be mingling with other bugs at the event. I hope it enjoyed it;s fellowship there better than I'm enjoying my welcome here. :blink:

Didn't mean to sound so negative. I think it was a valid concern. Yes, there's a chance it might go missing due to the sheer number of bugs at the event, but I doubt it. I've had a brand new coin go "missing" at a very small local event, which sucked. Some owners do write a "please, no events!" bit in the bug's mission.. you mighyt consider that. I personally can't think of a better place to start a new TB / coin in a local GW5, I know one local guy who activated and set free some 40 TBs and coins just for the event :lol: .

I bet you a fresh clean ammobox it will turn up ! :(

Well, to me TB's and GC's are part of the game. I'm not sure of their history but I understand them. If I can help one move along I do. If I can't I leave it.

Same with micro's. I've seen some people remark about not ever hunting micro's again. I think they can be a fun part of the game as well.

I can assure you I am far from being a "sock"

I am real, was only pondering why something was done the way it was. I thank all for the helpful remarks. As for the snide remarks, they roll off me.

As for the handling of the bugs at GW5, there was absolutely nothing wrong with that. It seemed to have been working as intended. I was in no way complaining about the handling of tradeables under the tent. I enjoyed our time at the event. Loved the fact of how people were open with one another. One young lady came up and asked me if I could help her with her bingo game piece. It was funny to hear everyone ask, "is that a micro in your pocket."

Edited by roy&roz

I see with all of the sock accusations you've gotten a nice warm welcome to the forum.

As someone who really likes these forums, I have to say I agree. There is a place for sock-usations, but this is stupid. The OP didn't rant, geocide or throw poop-bombs at anyone. They just asked a simple question that seems to have hit some sacred cow nerves.

Sorry that you had to have that as an introduction. :blink: Please don't let that color your perspective of the forums. They can be heated and passionate at times over certain topics, but that is good for the game. Dismissing someone in such a manner isn't.

Just my two cents worth. Events are black holes of death for TBs and Geocoins. Four of the last six events I have attended, going back about 1 1/2 years still have TBs or Geocoins listed. The other two events were probably cleaned up with the "Unknown Location" button by the organizers before archiving.

I see with all of the sock accusations you've gotten a nice warm welcome to the forum.

As someone who really likes these forums, I have to say I agree. There is a place for sock-usations, but this is stupid. The OP didn't rant, geocide or throw poop-bombs at anyone. They just asked a simple question that seems to have hit some sacred cow nerves.

Sorry that you had to have that as an introduction. :D Please don't let that color your perspective of the forums. They can be heated and passionate at times over certain topics, but that is good for the game. Dismissing someone in such a manner isn't.

From what I've seen in here,I'm not surprised one bit.

From the TB listings I still see on some event pages weeks and sometimes months after they are archived, leaving a TB at an event is a good way for it to disappear.

I understand that the TB collection at GW5 was well regulated, but that is not always the case.

I'll agree with Brian. TBs that I was watching disppeared at previous mega events. One of mine disappeared at an event in New Hampshire. One of my coins is still at GW5. Perhaps things were handled better at this event. Time will tell.

I'll agree with Brian. TBs that I was watching disppeared at previous mega events. One of mine disappeared at an event in New Hampshire. One of my coins is still at GW5. Perhaps things were handled better at this event. Time will tell.

All the GW5 TB staff could do is make it easier for bugs to move toward their destinations. They are not responsible for anyone's failure to log.

I worked the TB station for over an hour and checked on the progress a couple of times. The TB trading system I devised for GW4 has been refined and improved by MaxB on the river and The Alethiometrists to near perfection. More bugs were helped TOWARD their destinations than ever before.....Ummmm, that is.... until GW6. :D

Every effort was made to ensure TB safety. Not many event hosts go to such lengths. :D

I've had two bug that went to events, one at least alledgedly left the event and went to Canada and has been in a remote wilderness cache untouched for the past year and more, the other never left the event.

Therefore in my experience events are blackholes for TB's.

AK

One of my TB's went to Raliegh for the big event. I was a little wary of the potential for this item to disappear at GW5. Low and behold it showed up in Delaware on Tuesday night. It is moving again and I am happy about that. I realize that there is a risk that it will just disappear in some cache that was either muggled or some cacher decided it was a cool item. If that happens, I have another TB tag and I know where to get the item I used again at the Naval Station where I work.

In the big scheme of things, I am doing this for fun. I just can't get all worked up over it because that would make it feel like work and I do too much of that as it is. I hope your TB turns up in some interesting place, place there by someone that enjoyed the North Carolina hospitality at GW5. From where I sit in Virginia, I think that is what this is all about.

I guess verbalizing my thoughts was a bad bad thing....LOL.

Yes, Ligthning was picked up at RBC, then moved to GW5, then picked up and moved to a TB Spa in LA, then picked up from there.

I only had concern as a newbiecacher, but have learned lots since posting. Like when to keep your fingers still on the keys...LOL

I've only been caching for three weeks now but find it to be lots of fun and has been a great source of exercise which I needed badly. We made a 10 mile hike Saturday after leaving GW5.

I guess verbalizing my thoughts was a bad bad thing....LOL.

Yes, Ligthning was picked up at RBC, then moved to GW5, then picked up and moved to a TB Spa in LA, then picked up from there.

I only had concern as a newbiecacher, but have learned lots since posting. Like when to keep your fingers still on the keys...LOL

I've only been caching for three weeks now but find it to be lots of fun and has been a great source of exercise which I needed badly. We made a 10 mile hike Saturday after leaving GW5.

It's just the forums. Feel free to type out any opinion, thought, feeling, or perhaps even throw in a fact or two to throw everyone off... and WELCOME !

now for the topic....

I'm not certain that an event is "better" or "worse" than having your travelbug in a cache....I've lost them there also.

In fact, I myself lost a travelbug. It was someone elses travelbug. ;)

Here in California, travelbugs get stuck in the city, and just bounce around from urban cache to urban cache....but never leave...sorta like the Hotel California song.

If I were to choose... I think I would like my travelbug to attend events.

They have a better chance of moving FAR, far, away.

Also... I believe if the travel bug is Creative, clever, interesting, strange, etc... it will stand a better chance of NOT getting lost.

We had a famous geocacher out here... Tommy Trojan... who did not want any of his 200+ travelbugs to be placed in an event.... so I hand carried it, to the event, and handed it to another geocacher (ensured it did NOT get lost). He was happy. (too bad he quit).