Federal Hill NJ - The Iron Door

KBer

The other day I did a grouping of great caches on Federal Hill in NJ (near I-287 & route # 23).

BrianSnat listed the coordinates to The Iron Door, which we visited. I can not seem to find the WNJ article about The Iron Door on the net. Does anyone have the copy of Weird NJ issue that contains The Iron Door article that I can read. Thanks.

821523ea-e0e0-488c-8393-50a2fb580281.jpg

Powder Magazine for quarrying operations that have existed in that area for years and years. These types of powder magazines used to be all over the place , they can still be seen near some of the old iron mines, but many of them no longer have the doors. Not a big mystery. Explosives of the past were a lot less stable than they are today. So storage was an important factor.

Wow! I just read that one article and it was really neat. I might have to take a day trip up there and check out the area. Maybe I will find the cannon! LOL. Looks like a 2 hour trip for me to get there from south jersey. Can someone give me the coords to the iron door? Not sure if the coords in that article were the correct ones.

Jayman11

Edited by jho135

I've heard that this area is about ready to be destroyed by developers. :lol:

Anyone want to take a final trip to Federal Hill in the next few weeks?

I'd be up for it...wanna do all of Brians' caches (Both Brians).....

we could make it a Sunrise Stepoff....

Brian B was interested in the area too....

M

I do not know why people get so worked up over an old powder magazine. They really ought to be trying to spot the ghost of Slater's Mill. She reportedly can be seen on the 5 nights before a full moon. She is described as being very beautiful and is supposedly seen in the upper windows. Dancing .

Edited by Packanack

I've been by here many times years ago when I lived in North Jersey. If you're going to make a trip out of this, I'd be interested. But no sunrise trips, please. I'm 2+ hours south of here.

I drove around here on Christmas day recently. Looks like a lot of new stores going up in the area.

KBer,

I know it is a bit late, but I am planning on doing the Federal Hill and Iron Door geocaches on Monday and was curious what route you took and what other geocaches you did on the hill.

Thanks,

Mike

I don't think KBer visits these forums very often these days.

There are two popular approaches. The short way is over the RR bridge next to Hamburg Turnpike. It is an active RR though, so you are taking a chance. If you hear the nearby signal go off, say your prayers and run.

The longer, but safer route is to park by the animal shelter on Brant Lane.

KBer,

I know it is a bit late, but I am planning on doing the Federal Hill and Iron Door geocaches on Monday and was curious what route you took and what other geocaches you did on the hill.

Thanks,

Mike

There are two popular approaches. The short way is over the RR bridge next to Hamburg Turnpike. It is an active RR though, so you are taking a chance. If you hear the nearby signal go off, say your prayers and run.

N41° 0.014 W74° 18.781

If you paste these coordinates into the search box on Google Maps (which you'll find on any cache page) it will bring you to the train bridge you'd need to cross. Drag the little yellow man icon to the spot signified on the map, toggle around a bit and you'll get a good image of it. It's not that bad.

KBer,

Thanks,

Mike

N41° 0.014 W74° 18.781

If you paste these coordinates into the search box on Google Maps (which you'll find on any cache page) it will bring you to the train bridge you'd need to cross. Drag the little yellow man icon to the spot signified on the map, toggle around a bit and you'll get a good image of it. It's not that bad.

I live on Wanaque Ave, and you need to go down wanaque ave to the train tracks. If the Animal Shelter is on your right, make a left. Walk over the tressel and down the tracks until you reach the 287 underpass. Walk about 50 more feet and make a right. There should be an open fence. If that's locked, there's a new alternate opening right after the underpass.