TomTom

I have just purchased a TomTom one XL for the car to assist with Geocaching, I have figured out how to put cache's in as favourites one by one, does anyone know how I might download a heap and just transfer them to the TomTom via the computer save me a heap of typing and possible mistakes??

Cheers

Bob

VK2JMP

Wagga Wagga

Download the loc files from Geocaching.com (unfortunately it works one page at a time - unless somebody show me how). Then use GpsBabel - the GUI version - to convert them to OV2. You can use POIEdit to join (append) them together then paste it to the TomTom.

Unfortunately only the name Gxxxxx is left, the descriptions are lost.

I didn't install the POI via the TomTom Home application.

This is how I installed the POI to the best of my recollection.

1. I downloaded all the .LOC files from geocaching.com that I wanted, then I used a text editor to put them all into one file that I called Geocaching.LOC

2. Ran GPSbabel to convert the LOC file into an OV2 file for the TomTom, name Geocaching.ov2

3. Created on the TomTom unit itself a new POI Category, via the following steps:

Select Change Preferences, then Manage POIs, then Add POI Category. I created a category called Geocaching (the upper and lower case must match your OV2 file name) leaving off the .ov2 in the category name.

4. Connected my TomTom to the computer, and opened the SD card in the TomTom via Finder/Explorer (depending on if you are using a mac or pc).

5. Copied the Geocaching.ov2 file into the North America folder (where there exists a Geocaching.bmp file since I created the Category on the TomTom).

6. Disconnect TomTom from USB and reboot.

This should allow you to update the ov2 file with new locations if you choose, and just simply move it onto your TomTom directly to use it.

(I answered this on this thread earlier)