Reading the cache page--who does it?

How the cache page looks to me:

Coordinates

blah, blah, blah

hint

:o

That's like asking a (real) man if he reads the instructions before (insert any activity here- especially "some assembly required" projects). :ph34r:

Most times, I just measure the distance from my car to the cache with Delorme, sometimes look at the clue with GSAK, and "take off" with my compass. But that's just my style.

For the past year or so, I've added a touch of excitement to my cache hunts. I pretty much go in "COLD", having nothing more than the coords and cache name loaded in the GPSr.
I have probably missed out on some cool facts and information, as i don't tend to read the cache description very often.
Cache page?

I’ve got exactly what you guys want right here. :P

I read the page. Every time.

I have a friend who finds caches a lot but often has a harder time than needed because he never reads about parking coordinates and rarely takes the name of the cache into consideration. Sometimes the name is an important hint. I'd rather do it the way the hider suggests. It seems to work out better for me that way. I've also learned some interesting history by reading cache pages.

How the cache page looks to me:

Coordinates

blah, blah, blah

hint

:(

That's like asking a (real) man if he reads the instructions before (insert any activity here- especially "some assembly required" projects). :lol:

Most times, I just measure the distance from my car to the cache with Delorme, sometimes look at the clue with GSAK, and "take off" with my compass. But that's just my style.

For the past year or so, I've added a touch of excitement to my cache hunts. I pretty much go in "COLD", having nothing more than the coords and cache name loaded in the GPSr.
I have probably missed out on some cool facts and information, as i don't tend to read the cache description very often.
Cache page?

I’ve got exactly what you guys want right here. :(

Straight and to the point,,PERFECT! :(

Seriously though, what i find most of the time is that cache page descriptions are pretty much routine. There have been a few where i've really enjoyed reading because they were creative or told of some interesting history. Of course there are those that have vital information in them which is necessary for finding the cache too. For example,,, this cache. Took two trips because we neglected to read the page. OOOPS! :)

<snip> Of course there are those that have vital information in them which is necessary for finding the cache too.<snip>

Yup . . . I got a log on one of my caches that stated the information given on the cache page was incorrect . . . :anitongue:

I think the cacher got mixed up, or put the wrong coordinates in their GPSr, or tried to go to "Next Nearest," which is a cache on a parallel trail that is inaccessible from the first cache location.

I felt bad when I read the log, but after reading this thread, I don't think including even more detail on my cache page would be helpful . . . :anitongue:

Adding that I find cache pages especially helpful when traveling. If I have a limited time for caching, then I want the few caches I do find to be interesting (to me), and the only way to determine that is by reading the page(s).

Ditto! I'm planning a 10 day 1700+ mile roadtrip for next month. Some days are travel days, and while I will grab some OYR's and rest stops those days I might miss something special if that is all I look for. My caching time will be limited those days. On the days when I'm spending the night in the area for events or another specific reason, I'll want to seek out more interesting and 'must do' caches in those areas.

RTFCP seems to be the only way to do this right now. Even with some sort of rating/preference system, I'd still do it as I will have different priorities on different days.

I've (probably) read every cache page in my area. I use them to determine whether they stay in my GPSr loads. I also load them all in the PDA. It is part of my evening down time to read the descriptions and be familiar with what I still have to find in my area. I also try and spend a few minutes to make my cache pages amusing, though I tend towards very brief descriptions.

OTOH, when I'm out caching, I usually follow the "go to next" philosophy and don't see them in the field unless I have a problem finding a container. Generally, I remember what the cache is from the title, but it doesn't always hold true. I have spent 30 minutes looking for a container on a cache that was a virtual stage of a multi. :blink: I accept responsibility for those times I end up chasing my tail if it allows me to enjoy the fun of grab and go caching.

Amazing posts... Readers are welcome to my caches, non readers...

"I dont want to look at your stupid view, if I want a view, I'll look at my computer, I have better things to do" was the saddest. A troll or a person missing out on the real world (NOT MTV's version)

I didn't place the Cache, nor did I write the description, for me. A couple nice places most tourists don't see.

Reading about the cache is part of the deal for me. Not into the PDA, Crackberry, cell phone, laptop, GSAK, mapping GPS on the road. My non-posting alter-ego agrees too.

I'll never understand some people... :anitongue:

This is a note from my newest cache:

CAUTION: This is just outside Offutt AFB. DON'T drive through the gate if it is open, or you'll find yourself explaining geocaching to some uniformed MPs. And I don't post bail for nobody!

(Driving through the gate when it is closed is not recommended either. Best to just avoid the gate altogether.)

Sometimes not reading the cache page can get you into a whole lot of trouble. But your call!

:P In the beginning, I would set and read every cache page several times. Then about 3 years ago I went paperless and pretty much stopped reading the pages before going on the hunt. Now days, I will read the cache pages on my PDA if and only if I'm stumped. Sometimes if I'm not driving the cache mobile I'll read the cache description while making the approach. But mostly, cache pages and past logs are only read when I'm stumped. I realize a lot of folks put a lot of effort in their pages, and I often I will look at them when I'm logging, but often I just can't enjoy the long narratives that have little to do with the cache.