Need help geocaching on I-64 in Illinois

Lacomo

I'm going to be traveling Interstate 64 all the way across Illinois from St Louis all the way to the Indiana line.

I would like to find a cache or maybe 2 in a rest stop. Just because I've not yet found any in Illinois. I'm going to be rushed for time so I don't want to exit the Interstate other than at a rest stop. Do any of you know of any rest stop caches along that route?

Edit: OOPS spelled geocaching wrong in title and couldn't change it...LOL

Edited by lacomo

It looks like there are only 4 Illinois caches within .5 miles of I-64, and none of them are at a rest area.

They are:

GCH469

GCKRVK

GCWY3D

GCZT5R

Thanks Doughball, I'll probably grab 1 or 2 anyway.

I didn't know how to search for them.

One of the more cache dense towns on that route is Mount Vernon, near the interchange of I-64 and I-57. Try centering your search around N 38 19.080, W 88 54.240. There's about 17 active caches (all traditional) within 10 miles of that point. Eleven of those 17 are within 5 miles of the interstate there.

According to Streets and Trips, that stretch of road takes about 1:47 to complete and exit 80 at Mt Vernon is 41 minutes into the trip. Not a bad stretching point. :(

One of the best ways to find a cache on an Interstate is to check with geotruckers.com. They may miss a few but these truckers and drivers of big rigs look for caches where they don't have to get off the road while traveling. Most of the caches that they list are at rest areas and truck stops. Regardless of what you drive, you are welcome at geotruckers.com and you know if they can get their truck to the cache, you can get your car there!

Terri