New Geocoin - GC10000 A New Beginning

res2100

Back in January I had asked if anyone wanted to design our new Geocoin. Well several people submitted some fantastic design and there was more than one that we really liked, so since it was hard to choose, we choose the top 3 designs to make into our new geocoin.

We received our coins last week and they are now available for sale. For more information on these coins and to order, visit my web page here:

GC10000 - A New Beginning Geocoins

...If you have any problems using the online ordering, you can also send me an email directly.

We spared no expense in making these coins and included many features such as Glow in the Dark, 3D, Edge Text, Hard/Soft Enamel, Epoxy. These coins are 1.5" wide, 3.5mm thick and weigh a hefty 32grams each. They are trackable on geocaching.com and each have their own icon. They all have the unique prefix of "XM" for the tracking code.

Prices are listed in Canadian $ on my web site, but I will convert accordingly where necessary. Slight discounts for ordering in sets.

Here are some pictures of them:

Version A:

f8d93af6-37c0-4b66-bca5-ba7a8fc2773b.jpg

Version B:

f3b0a761-cece-4d2a-8bff-65f863570efc.jpg

Version C:

7ea52088-91db-4578-9a05-3069a51bf4c1.jpg

...thanks all for looking and we really enjoyed the whole process of making these coins.

Please forgive me for my ignorance but you stated "Back in January I had asked if anyone wanted to design our new Geocoin". Is this your new personal? I see no mention of your geocaching name, I was just curious?

We created this series of 3 geocoins to commemorate our GC10000 - A New Beginning geocache. This is the project I was refering to in the January thread looking for people to design this coin of ours. We got 3 designs that we really liked and hence the 3 coins, which I am sure you all will agree are great designs. Other than the initial sketches on paper, I did not do any of the artwork myself. The graphics on these coins are all there for a reason and have meaning, although perhaps not obvious. Even the use of XM for the tracking prefix has a certain purpose. Anyone want to take a guess why XM was chosen?

A few weeks prior to that we also designed our personal coin which you've probably seen already, Donauschwaben-Schwarzwald, which I designed myself and has nothing to do with the GC10000 geocoin.

Edited by res2100
Seeing as mine was one of the winners, I can't wait to get my shipment in the mail. If you need my address let me know. :)

f8d93af6-37c0-4b66-bca5-ba7a8fc2773b.jpg

Yeah, the Peeking Cat is my fav. Gotta order a set ot two. :)

What is "Rhodium" and what does it look like??? :)

CF30

Rhodium is like a shiny reflective/mirror silver. The name just sounded so cool, we had to get atleast one finish in it.

XM=990

So much for the roman numeral convertor I found. I tried Lee's Useless Roman Numeral Converter instead, and for XM it says:

I believe XM = 990.

However, I believe the correct way to write it as a Roman numeral is CMXC

Yes the codes is based loosely on Roman Numerals. It was actually islander1998 who suggested XK (X for roman numeral 10 and K usualyl meaning 1000), and after some searching I thought XM would be more appropriate. X is Roman Numeral for 10 and M is Roman Numeral for 10000, hence XM. However from what I read, the true representation of 10000 in Roman Numerals would be X with a horizontal line (meaning times by 1000) over it like the following:

_

X

...but XM is close enough...

X is Roman Numeral for 10 and M is Roman Numeral for 10000, hence XM.

That would be 100,000 :(

But I know you meant "M is Roman Numeral for 1,000".

Ya I meant 1000 and not 10000 for the Roman Numeral M. I guess I have been typing 10000 way too much lately...lol.

See you at the COG event on Saturday and I'll bring the whole set of coins for you.

It's been a busy couple days packing up the coins for everyone and I really appreciate the tremendous response for these coins. I have most sent out, but still have about a dozen or so orders to package up which I will mail out Thursday or Friday.

I email the tracking codes as I send out the packages, so if you received the tracking codes in an email, it means yoru coins have been mailed already.

I've also sent out Paypal invoices to those who specified paypal, so if you haven't received an invoice yet, please let me know...a couple email orders I received were blank...so if you haven't heard from me, please let me know. I usually reply within a couple hours during the daytime.

...still lots of coins available to go around.

Picked my coins up today,, Very Nice Ralph..

Version A 2-BN 1- AB 1-SN

Version B 1- BN

Version C 1-BN

Thanks Again

Thanks all for the positive comments. We had them at an large event on Saturday and everyone really liked them. Now to find out who won the set that we donated.

Thanks for picking them up Harry...Hope to bump into you again one day.

...I still got about 15 orders to package, which should be all done by tomorrow.

All coins for all who have ordered and paid are now in the mail. I think I am just waiting for 3 payments for those that have ordered. I've emailed activation codes to everyone, so if you didn't receive them, let me know and I will re email.

Still plenty of coins left...and there is still 1 set of Satin Nickel left, regardless of the fact that the web site doesn't reflect this anymore.

For those curious, The Satin Gold Version A is the most popular, with the Satin Gold Version C not far behind and then in 3rd place is is a tie for Gold Version B and Black Nickel Version A.

Cute coin! Received mine today... just didn't realize that the black nickel of version A wouldn't have a black and white kitty face, kinda hard to distinguish the kitty's feature.

The kitty definitely looks best and most accurate with the Satin Silver and Satin Nickel. On the other hand, the Black Nickel makes the front of the A coin look really nice and different from the other metals...almost giving it an early evening/nighttime scene. The cat is the same kind as the one my wife had when she lived with her mom. I'll try taking some pictures of the various metals...the ones picture on the order page are the Antique Bronze finishes, with the exception of the front of coin A which is the Black Nickel.

Cute coin! Received mine today... just didn't realize that the black nickel of version A wouldn't have a black and white kitty face, kinda hard to distinguish the kitty's feature.

The kitty definitely looks best and most accurate with the Satin Silver and Satin Nickel. On the other hand, the Black Nickel makes the front of the A coin look really nice and different from the other metals...almost giving it an early evening/nighttime scene. The cat is the same kind as the one my wife had when she lived with her mom. I'll try taking some pictures of the various metals...the ones picture on the order page are the Antique Bronze finishes, with the exception of the front of coin A which is the Black Nickel.

Hmmm, wish I'd known that before ordering, I would have ordered one of the other metals. The black and white kitty looks exactly like one that I have now... named him Trouble because he's always getting into .... well, trouble :rolleyes:

Hmmm, wish I'd known that before ordering, I would have ordered one of the other metals. The black and white kitty looks exactly like one that I have now... named him Trouble because he's always getting into .... well, trouble :anitongue:

I still have plenty of Satin Silver and 1 set of Satin Nickel left if you want me to put any of those aside for you.

These are nice coins, but isn't the new beginning GC00001, not GC10000? This isn't meant sarcastically, but seriously. Was GC10000 the first 7 digit cache doled out?

Yes, GC10000 was the first 7 digit waypoint ID. None of the waypoint ids have leading zeros after the GC. So it would have gone as follows over the years as they added a digit every time...

GC1, GC10, GC100, GC1000, GC10000. And as for going to 8 digits if the trend keeps up, that's several hundred years away, which none of us will see.

And as for going to 8 digits if the trend keeps up, that's several hundred years away, which none of us will see.

I'll bet you an XLE personal coin it's only 99 years away. :):)

...and I'll bet you a whole set of mine... :) Our grandkids can collect...

I have some pics of all the different finishes of the A Version as follows in each pic below:

L-R (Top Row) Satin Gold, Antique Copper, Satin Silver

L-R (Bottom Row) Black Nickel, Antique Bronze, Satin Nickel

7d4b62f0-0d62-499e-af2c-7b90d6c523e1.jpg

857b7ca1-ea67-4cdb-b56d-a03462a03a9f.jpg

They are trackable on geocaching.com and each have their own icon. They all have the unique prefix of "XM" for the tracking code.

Can you tell where I can get the activation code for these coins ?

Thanks

Claude

I will email you the activation codes again...I would have sent these in the email (June 5th) when I said the coins were shipped. If you don't receive my email, let me know and I will send it through your gc.com profile.

...enjoy the coins.

e6942610-a555-4ed6-a1dd-27cf79cded1a.jpg

Last week while packaging these coins I noticed something odd (error) with the Version A GC10000 geocoin. The little deer on some of the coins had the wrong colour ear (see image above). On some of the coins, the deer had 2 brown ears and on others it had 1 brown ear and 1 white ear. Looks like about 10% of these coins have the error with the ear, but I don't know specifically how many.

If you ordered these coins prior to last week, if you don't mind checking your Version A coins and letting me know whether the 2 ears are both brown or whether one is brown and the other white.

e6942610-a555-4ed6-a1dd-27cf79cded1a.jpg

Last week while packaging these coins I noticed something odd (error) with the Version A GC10000 geocoin. The little deer on some of the coins had the wrong colour ear (see image above). On some of the coins, the deer had 2 brown ears and on others it had 1 brown ear and 1 white ear. Looks like about 10% of these coins have the error with the ear, but I don't know specifically how many.

So... which is the error? The brown looks like you're seeing the back of the ear, and the white looks like you're seeing the inside. Both look natural.