etrex legend + software+ laptop

this may be a silly question but i am going to ask it...

I have an etrex legend, laptop, the cable, garmin mapsource cd.

can i use the laptop in the car w/ the gps hooked up to it via serial or usb. I dont know how to explain it exactly but hope you understand what i mean.

Mapsource, no, AFAIK. But nRoute is a free download, and should work with City Select. You can also buy MS Streets&Trips, DeLorme Street Atlas, or other software and use that.

Be aware that if you use any third-party software you need to set the Legend to NMEA, not Garmin, interface.

Edited by NightPilot

I use DeLorme Street Atlas USA (2006 version is fairly recent).. along with the eTrex Classic (Yellow) and the Legend (clear-blue). as well as both the old Combo data cable/power cord, and the Data Only cord that came with the Legend (Adventure Pack).

The DeLorme software is fairly combersome unless you're used to it. I've used 4 different versions (2002, 2003, 2005, & 2006). It has Voice capability (but I prefer it off.. about a 1/2 second delay between the voice and the actual direction. Remember the Nationwide Commercial? where it says turn right..*CRASH!*..in 50 feet..)

I also use it for Geocaching. I process the .LOC files from geocaching.com, through GPS-Babel, to DeLorme Draw files. (basic setting on GPS-Babel's convertion, Everything!)..

I've assigned wordpad as the default for the .LOC files, so I can cut/paste.. and divide the whole .LOC file of all 2777+ caches close by, to two files.. tofind.loc & found.loc .. In the "Found.loc" file, I change the <Symbol="Geocache"> to <Symbol="Geocache Found>

The resulting translated draw files, tofind.an1 & found.an1, are assigned to the mapfile "geocache.saf" ,which is the local map, and import the two draw files.. the result, on the displayed map, I have the draw files with checkboxes, so I can unselect the found or to-find.

Also, Street Atlas, will also URL-through the caches, to their page. (I.E. If I click on the open treasure chest for "A Knights Tale" (GC12H7Y)(Sorry, shamless plug) It will open my web browser to the page for the cache in a separate window.

I've also found the DeLorme software is faster at transferring waypoints to the GPS's (Via serial).

The Laptop is a Dell Latitude C610 (P3-1.0ghz, 384M RAM, 80GB HD). WIN-XP Home(sp2), all the updates.

Power, is usually a Targus APD10 (DC universal supply) either plugged into the cigarette lighter, or connected to a 18Ah battery, connected through a Anderson Power Poll set (I'm also an amature radio operator)

Kind of a novice still, but 25 caches under my finds list, and one of my own out there.

I know, I probably take the hard way of doing it.. But, I'm more used to Street Atlas, so it's more natural, and I can keep a better view of what's out there, whereabouts, and what I've already found.

I'm still tinkering with an idea, of using a Learning Robot (Original version VEX, prior to Radioshack dropping the ball.) to do a little searching.. the concept isn't very practical, but it should work. teaching the robot to read the GPS co-ordinates, and navigate itself within a few feet. (if it doesn't run off a cliff.) but also deal with its surroundings. (bump, move away, ultrasonic ranging, navigate around.) The base is still in the planning stages.. getting it together, and running autonimous for any situation, then adding the GPS direction.)

Yes, I am a geek.. deal with it! ;)

Stephen (gelfling6)

Edited by gelfling6

To answer your question, yes. It's the same setup I put together for my father's both. You obviously need mapsource maps installed on your computer. Download the free nroute which works via mapsource. The nroute uses the mapsource maps and works like a charm. It will show you tracks, routes, nearest coffee shops, satellite signal, speed, heading, and a bunch of other information. And it will speak to you via your laptop speakers.

When I got my eTrex Legend, in the Adventure Kit package, it included Topo USA, but

required feeding the laptop each section map CD.. But, here you're looking at a

Laptop with a 80GB Hard Drive, and 3 640MB+/- CD's.. Wait a sec.. Could this work?

After installing Mapsource TOPO-USA, (This works with version 3.02 from the package)

(for those who are registry paranoid, Don't try this!)

Click on Start, choose RUN, and type in regedit

Now, click on the My Computer, right arrow if it doesn't expand. down-arrow to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Right-Arrow to expand this registry set., down-arrow to SOFTWARE

Again, Right-arrow this key set, and down-arrow to GARMIN

Again, right arrow this key set, and down-arrow to MAPSOURCE

again, You guessed it, Right arrow to expand, and down arrow to Products

Right arrow One more time..., you should see 4 keys appear.. 6, 7, 8, & 9.

Go to EACH number, the key sets should show a Loc key, with D:\East, D:\West... etc..

Click the LOC setting, the modify window should pop-up.

Change each one, under 6, 7, 8, & 9 as follows:

under 6, Loc change from x:\East to C:\Garmin\East (x=Your CD drive)

Under 7, Loc change from x:\West to C:\Garmin\West

Under 8, Loc change from x:\Hawaii to C:\Garmin\Hawaii

Under 9, Loc change from x:\Alaska to C:\Garmin\Alaska

Exit regedit (Click File, then exit.)

Now, comes a slighly long process.. (Approx. 20 minutes with a 16X CD drive)

Insert the Install/Western CD, Right-click the CD drive , and click Open. (if it doesn't auto-launch)

Right-click the West folder, and click on Copy

Now, Open My Computer\C: Drive\Garmin

Right click and click Paste. This will copy the ENTIRE Western USA map file set to the Hard Disk.

Perform this same with the Eastern CD, and the Alaska/Hawaii CD's, copying the West, Alaska, and Hawaii

folders.

Now, close the folder, and remove the CD.. The next time you run Mapsource, it will now find the data on your hard drive, and load faster. And, the fun part, Not needing to change CD's, to go to different map files.

It'll all be right there on the hard drive.

I did this to speed-up, and make it more portable, and not require the CDC change to go to different regions.

The HD access is far faster than CD access.

The usual disclaimers: Garmin does not authorize this modification to the registry, and You are

responsible if the edit fails. This is a User modification, and could result in voiding of any waurantee of

the software, or your computer's Operating System. I do not hold any responsibility for your actions, the

suggested modification is just that, a Suggestion. (In plain words, If it locks-up, Don't blame me!)

But, it works for me. it just chews-up another 2GB space, but results in a faster running program.

Stephen (gelfling6)

When I got my eTrex Legend, in the Adventure Kit package, it included Topo USA, but

required feeding the laptop each section map CD.. But, here you're looking at a

Laptop with a 80GB Hard Drive, and 3 640MB+/- CD's.. Wait a sec.. Could this work?

After installing Mapsource TOPO-USA, (This works with version 3.02 from the package)

(for those who are registry paranoid, Don't try this!)

Click on Start, choose RUN, and type in regedit

Now, click on the My Computer, right arrow if it doesn't expand. down-arrow to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Right-Arrow to expand this registry set., down-arrow to SOFTWARE

Again, Right-arrow this key set, and down-arrow to GARMIN

Again, right arrow this key set, and down-arrow to MAPSOURCE

again, You guessed it, Right arrow to expand, and down arrow to Products

Right arrow One more time..., you should see 4 keys appear.. 6, 7, 8, & 9.

Go to EACH number, the key sets should show a Loc key, with D:\East, D:\West... etc..

Click the LOC setting, the modify window should pop-up.

Change each one, under 6, 7, 8, & 9 as follows:

under 6, Loc change from x:\East to C:\Garmin\East (x=Your CD drive)

Under 7, Loc change from x:\West to C:\Garmin\West

Under 8, Loc change from x:\Hawaii to C:\Garmin\Hawaii

Under 9, Loc change from x:\Alaska to C:\Garmin\Alaska

Exit regedit (Click File, then exit.)

Now, comes a slighly long process.. (Approx. 20 minutes with a 16X CD drive)

Insert the Install/Western CD, Right-click the CD drive , and click Open. (if it doesn't auto-launch)

Right-click the West folder, and click on Copy

Now, Open My Computer\C: Drive\Garmin

Right click and click Paste. This will copy the ENTIRE Western USA map file set to the Hard Disk.

Perform this same with the Eastern CD, and the Alaska/Hawaii CD's, copying the West, Alaska, and Hawaii

folders.

Now, close the folder, and remove the CD.. The next time you run Mapsource, it will now find the data on your hard drive, and load faster. And, the fun part, Not needing to change CD's, to go to different map files.

It'll all be right there on the hard drive.

I did this to speed-up, and make it more portable, and not require the CDC change to go to different regions.

The HD access is far faster than CD access.

The usual disclaimers: Garmin does not authorize this modification to the registry, and You are

responsible if the edit fails. This is a User modification, and could result in voiding of any waurantee of

the software, or your computer's Operating System. I do not hold any responsibility for your actions, the

suggested modification is just that, a Suggestion. (In plain words, If it locks-up, Don't blame me!)

But, it works for me. it just chews-up another 2GB space, but results in a faster running program.

Stephen (gelfling6)