The hidden value of CITO

PPL is a large power company in PA, and they own a huge amount of land near the Susquehanna river. Most of the land is open to hiking and recreation, and there are some caches there as well. Last year I organized a CITO event specifically to clean up a hiking trail and recreation area that was owned by PPL. In order to pull things together, I had to work with Mark, the land manager in charge of PPL's preserves. When we first spoke on the phone he didn't seem too familiar with geocaching, so I explained the hobby to him. He was glad we wanted to volunteer to clean up some of the lands he managed, so we planned to get together to go over the details. When we actually met in person I went with him to find a nearby cache just to show him what geocaching was all about. Long story short -- the event was a success, we cleaned up a lot of trash and that was that.

Or was it?

Today I was looking for a cache to hunt and saw one called "A Fishy Spot" not too far from home. Upon checking the cache page, I saw the hider was "PPLPreserves". Dug a little further and saw that the PPLPreserves account has 8 caches hidden in PPL recreation areas. Cool, I thought -- glad to see that PPL as a corporation seems to be embracing geocaching. That's good news.

I went out to find the cache and when I did, I saw it had a green Geocaching.com sticker on the top.

Whose name was written in as the contact?

Mark's. :sunsure:

Last year I organized a CITO event specifically to clean up a hiking trail and recreation area that was owned by PPL
Thank you so much, Doc.

Not only did they place those caches in PA, but they also placed 2 more caches in Montana at other land they own there!