Enhanced OS maps on cache pages

Whilst being very impressed with the OS maps, I like the way the Yahoo map is replaced by a Google map showing nearby caches when you click on it!

Yes, it all does seem a mix...

Yahoo maps on cache pages, Google Interactive maps in other parts, which use the Yahoo geocoder, quite a mess of different places.

Very smooth Edgemaster. :D I'd imagine it's brill for urban cachers, but as I never cache in urban areas I found the OS map had far more detail.

Any possibility of these features being combined with the OS map detail in the future?

Keep up the good work.

I take this back. I was looking at a mystery cache where I had updated the final coords in GSAK so I'm used to seeing the actual location of the cache when I export to Memory Map. As the cache is on the top of a mountain and there were no contour lines on this map I assumed it was wrong. Not so as the Mystery location is some way off.

So I remove any "could be better"s and upgrade to a "Top job Edgemaster". :D

Thanks again.

I had this script working great yesterday but due to a problem this morning with the maps not loading I uninstalled it from GreaseMonkey. I am now trying to reinstall it from exactly the same link at the top of this thread but keep getting the following error message, what am I doing wrong please?

1e7a8fb1-2212-4a0f-9b61-8264900ef64b.jpg

I had this script working great yesterday but due to a problem this morning with the maps not loading I uninstalled it from GreaseMonkey. I am now trying to reinstall it from exactly the same link at the top of this thread but keep getting the following error message, what am I doing wrong please?

(Snip image)

It appears greasemonkey has a little trouble with uninstalling things.

You will need to manually delete the copy you have:

Go to Start > Run

Paste in this to the box and hit enter: "%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\"

Go into the folder you see (most likely named something.default)

Go into the folder gm_scripts

Delete the file named geocachingenhancedosmaps.user.js

Install the script as usual.

Hey! Has something happened again?! Looking at one of my cache pages just now I noticed the OS map at the bottom of the page was centred at around 55°44.452'N, 2°47.496'W. ALso at the top of the page the small, useless, Yahoo map has reappeared but is all squashed up into a narrow band.

Checking a couple of other caches and the same thing was showing. Funnily enough my "special reviewer" version still works fine.

Is it me?!

Yep, change confirmed.

Should I wait until things settle down before releasing again?

My script causes the weird squashing of the top map,

They've changed the bindings that my script and some others use, breaking them

On the plus side, this site change now:

Returns the number watching count

Fixes grammar - 'an event'

Has quite a good 'zoom' effect on load of the mini-map.

Edited by Edgemaster

Thanks Edgemaster

Your solution has allowed me to delete the script so I have been able to reinstall it. However, there's always a 'but' isn't there, I now seem to be suffering in exactly the same way as Lactodorum. I'll uninstall again then wait a few days until all the changes that still seem to be falling out of the new GC site have settled down.

Keep up the good work though, I'll definately be back to reinstall as it was great yesterday and I'm confident you'll crack the problem.

A very grateful luddite. :(

I've installed the new user script, but all the replaced maps show the same place 'Pilmuir'... I'm sure I've never placed a cache there before as it's near Edinburgh!

:ph34r::(:(:(;)

Same things happening here too ;)

Phew - glad its not me!

Just installed the script about 1hr ago and getting the Pilmuir map

Yep, change confirmed.

Should I wait until things settle down before releasing again?

Looking at the Reviewers' private forum it would seem a number of tweaks are still being carried out. I don't have any timescale nor a list of what's being changed but I would wait a day or two if I were you, even if it means people are without their OS maps.

Just come over to this thread as suggested, I feel that I also will have to wait that couple of days!! Have a letter box Yahoo map at the top which is unreadable, an OS map of Pilmuir at the bottom, no attributes, whole page a light blue colour and navigation box where the bookmarks are is all in black, the Grid References that used to be at the top from a LE script have also gone. Hopefully all to return in the next 48 hours or so. :(:(

Yeah - things are feeling rather fluid at the moment.

The site is still usable, but I get the distinct feeling of developers tweaking the seams. This, to be honest isn't the best way to release interactive web applications. To be honest it feels like they're using the general public for alpha testing (not even beta!)

new script works fine on UK caches.

but the detailed (second) map does not work as it should do outside the area covered by OS-mapping.

it should show the yahoo map, please.

Same here. I am off to Tenerife in just over a week, and the detailed map doesn't work. In previous incarnations of this Script the Yahoo map was shown.

Any chance of a minor update so that this still happens?

Thanks.

Apologies, I had used the OS Grid References to determine whether a cache was UK-based.

With the recent site changes, I was forced to use Lat/Lon, I forgot to check if the cache was actually in the UK.

Tomorrow I'll try and add the check back in, and possibly start work on supporting Northern Irish maps. (just as a challenge)

Apologies, I had used the OS Grid References to determine whether a cache was UK-based.

With the recent site changes, I was forced to use Lat/Lon, I forgot to check if the cache was actually in the UK.

Tomorrow I'll try and add the check back in, and possibly start work on supporting Northern Irish maps. (just as a challenge)

Thanks - looking forward to it. And thanks in general for your hard work on this project.

Updated, now runs a couple of checks to ensure the cache is listed as being in UK/IoM, and the coordinates are acceptably close to the UK.

This version also allows the map to be resized to the page width, and back again.

Install

(Reviewer edition is in the same place as last time, not tested the resize function on review pages)

Edited by Edgemaster

Updated, now runs a couple of checks to ensure the cache is listed as being in UK/IoM, and the coordinates are acceptably close to the UK.

This version also allows the map to be resized to the page width, and back again.

Install

(Reviewer edition is in the same place as last time, not tested the resize function on review pages)

Thanks indeed! That works fine on my Tenerife caches. B):DB)

And so quickly done!

yep,

works fine now, my dutch caches with yahoo-map and the uk caches showing the os-map.

by the way, the download in the most recent posting ( ending in .js?1.0.4) did not work with me, but the earlier one (ending in simple .js) gave me the updated script.

yep,

works fine now, my dutch caches with yahoo-map and the uk caches showing the os-map.

by the way, the download in the most recent posting ( ending in .js?1.0.4) did not work with me, but the earlier one (ending in simple .js) gave me the updated script.

Sorry about that, I was using one of LordElph's tricks to force a cleared cache. Apparently greasemonkey doesn't recognise it. Oh well, reverted the link to the normal one.

v1.0.6 released

Changes since v1.0.5:

* GC site change fix: Position of small map changed, fix print friendly pages.

(also cut down on the space taken up by pointless items, such as download buttons, which would not be used on a printout)

* Feature: Map on print friendly pages now optional

(can be toggled on/off with the 'User Script Commands' submenu from the greasemonkey logo menu, as shown in picture)

OSMopts.png

Direct link: http://grand.edgemaster.googlepages.com/ge...dosmaps.user.js

Site: http://grand.edgemaster.googlepages.com/os...cedcachepagemap

(Oh, by weird chance, this is the 2899999th post made on the Groundspeak forums!)

Edited by Edgemaster

Hi..

Great script I much prefer the OS maps... However when I try to load this on my Laptop with Vista I only get the option to save the file.. Once saved all I can do is open it with Dreamweaver..... I guess I must be doing something wrong.. Any ideas?

I have greasemonkey installed

cheers

bob

However when I try to load this on my Laptop with Vista I only get the option to save the file.. Once saved all I can do is open it with Dreamweaver..... I guess I must be doing something wrong.. Any ideas?

The problem isn't likely to be vista. But, greasemonkey should kick in and detect that the script is being viewed.

I have no idea why this is happening. As a last resort, save it to your desktop, and then open the file in firefox manually. (File > Open File)

Hi..

Great script I much prefer the OS maps... However when I try to load this on my Laptop with Vista I only get the option to save the file.. Once saved all I can do is open it with Dreamweaver..... I guess I must be doing something wrong.. Any ideas?

cheers

bob

Right click on the link and then click on "View User Script source" at the top on the right hand side you'll get the install button. I have to do this with both XP and Vista, as I get the same error if I just click on the link. I'm wondering if it's anything to do with running the latest versions of FF and Greasemonkey.

I had a Firefox update this week that I accepted and it seems to have screwed a lot of my Greasemonkey scripts. Anyone else experience the same?

Edited to add: I used to have a script that worked on the Forums to allow me mark threads I want to watch and hide threads I was uninterested in. I deleted it to reinstall but now can't find its origin - can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Edited by FollowMeChaps

Edgemaster

EXCELLENT! Thanks not only for the advice but also for the speed of reply - I'll now save these links to a Word document so I can keep them.

I very humbly bow to your, and Lordelph's, skill - you both totally enhance the web based caching eperience for luddites like me. MANY THANKS :anitongue:

Edgemaster

EXCELLENT! Thanks not only for the advice but also for the speed of reply - I'll now save these links to a Word document so I can keep them.

I very humbly bow to your, and Lordelph's, skill - you both totally enhance the web based caching eperience for luddites like me. MANY THANKS :)

FMC the link our script guru gave you is in a permanent pinned topic Multiple Pinned Topics at the top of this forum :blink: , so there is no need to save the link. :)

If anyone knows of a script that needs adding to the list, please let one of the Mods know so that it can be added.

They're tinkering with the site again.

So far, the only changes I've noticed are adding zoom controls under the Yahoo map.

And a new print friendly page design :rolleyes:

In the next version I'll try to make it possible to switch between Yahoo and OS maps, and on print friendly, add the OS map to a new dropdown section.

I'm quite busy for the rest of this week, so it may be a little while.