Geowoodstock VI-2008

WashoeZephyr

I am glad to see it on the left coast next year.

but, still unlikely ill attend, too far north in ca for my tastes.

Whats wrong with northern California? Other than the obvious ;);)

I'm just happy that it is in driving distance for a change!

Edited by LostinReno

Whats wrong with northern California? Other than the obvious :):)

Huh?? "Other than the OBVIOUS??" Whoa. NoCal is the ONLY Cal! SoCal does nothing except steal our water, has way too many people and cars, and all that stuff. :):)

not sure what the obvious is, but its a 12+ hour drive for according to google.

12+ hours isn't that bad!! Plus look at all the caches that are on the way :)

It was meant as California in general, too many people was what I was getting at. Nothing personal against the northern half of the state. :)

Whats wrong with northern California? Other than the obvious :blink::(

Approx 750 miles according to streets and trips

approx 460 for us but we'll be spending a week caching in the area

Whats wrong with northern California? Other than the obvious :blink::(

Huh?? "Other than the OBVIOUS??" Whoa. NoCal is the ONLY Cal! SoCal does nothing except steal our water, has way too many people and cars, and all that stuff. :lol::P

So So cal must be better more people live there. If not they would all move north. :P This looks like a good time to take a vacation how far from Reno is it??? by the way we do get thirsty don't we :(

I'm seriously considering a trip to this Geowoodstock. Granted I'll have to drive an extra half an hour more than Nero is willing to drive.

If I can get a carpool together... that will be a bonus. I'm sure there are a few folks in the PHX area that are also wanting to go. If it's cheap enough, I'll fly, but I'd rather drive and hit some caches along the way.

So So cal must be better more people live there. If not they would all move north. :D This looks like a good time to take a vacation how far from Reno is it??? by the way we do get thirsty don't we :D

A lot of em moved to (erm, took over) Nevada (North and South) and we didn't have any water to begin with! ;);)

Sac/Weatland is about 2 hours away. Wooot!

I'm seriously considering a trip to this Geowoodstock. Granted I'll have to drive an extra half an hour more than Nero is willing to drive.

If I can get a carpool together... that will be a bonus. I'm sure there are a few folks in the PHX area that are also wanting to go. If it's cheap enough, I'll fly, but I'd rather drive and hit some caches along the way.

If it were in Phoenix, we'd still go!!! Southwest flights are pretty cheap but the drive is definately more interesting!

We're talking about a 2 day caching road trip from Las Vegas. The more, the merrier!

Might have to take a few days off prior to partake in this escapade! :(

The Las Vegas Road Trip crew has started many rumors of fun and frolic. It may be deserving af a new thread in this forum.

I think I might head out early to take point of this Road Trip Crew and warn the local PD's that trouble is coming and to lock up all weak and susceptible.

Naw I'll just pop over the hill and go caching - let you guys roll into towns unannounced - that'll be entertaining.

Whats wrong with northern California? Other than the obvious :P:anibad:

Huh?? "Other than the OBVIOUS??" Whoa. NoCal is the ONLY Cal! SoCal does nothing except steal our water, has way too many people and cars, and all that stuff. ;):P

So So cal must be better more people live there. If not they would all move north. ;) This looks like a good time to take a vacation how far from Reno is it??? by the way we do get thirsty don't we :P

Can't we all just get along? (Spoken as a San Francisco-born resident of Southern California.)

I think I will be visiting my sister in NoCal for the long weekend!

The drive from SoCal to the Sacramento area isn't bad. I prefer the 99 to the 5, since it gives you more places to stop along the way (and more geocaches). I-5 get pretty lonely in spots...

Dave_W6DPS

The drive from SoCal to the Sacramento area isn't bad. I prefer the 99 to the 5, since it gives you more places to stop along the way (and more geocaches). I-5 get pretty lonely in spots...

Dave_W6DPS

99 is much better than I-5, they need to put some S turns in I-5 just for the heck of it! ;) I'd swear someone drew a perfectly straight line down the length of the state and said "Put freeway here"! :anibad:

Whats wrong with northern California? Other than the obvious :smile::smile:

Huh?? "Other than the OBVIOUS??" Whoa. NoCal is the ONLY Cal! SoCal does nothing except steal our water, has way too many people and cars, and all that stuff. :lol::lol:

So So cal must be better more people live there. If not they would all move north. :D This looks like a good time to take a vacation how far from Reno is it??? by the way we do get thirsty don't we B)

Can't we all just get along? (Spoken as a San Francisco-born resident of Southern California.)

Dave_W6DPS

Well........... You see, part of the problem is that San Francisco folks think they live in Northern California when, in actuality, SF has nothing in common with the actual North state. I cringe every time I hear SF referred to as Northern California.

However, I say welcome to all for GW VI. Looking forward to seeing anybody and everybody who can make it.

Whats wrong with northern California? Other than the obvious :smile::smile:

Huh?? "Other than the OBVIOUS??" Whoa. NoCal is the ONLY Cal! SoCal does nothing except steal our water, has way too many people and cars, and all that stuff. :lol::D

So So cal must be better more people live there. If not they would all move north. B) This looks like a good time to take a vacation how far from Reno is it??? by the way we do get thirsty don't we B)

Dave_W6DPS

Well........... You see, part of the problem is that San Francisco folks think they live in Northern California when, in actuality, SF has nothing in common with the actual North state. I cringe every time I hear SF referred to as Northern California.

However, I say welcome to all for GW VI. Looking forward to seeing anybody and everybody who can make it.

Easy there Thrak! Maybe you better call DeLorme and tell them to redo their Northern California Guide as San Francisco is safely included in it. Don't make me come back to Chico and steal more FTFs from you! :lol:

:smile:

You know, I used to feel the same way about Southern Nevadan's until I started caching, I was truly convinced there were no decent people that lived in Vegas. I would dread having to go down there for work.(Mainly because it is made up of mostly big city people who are always in a big friggin hurry to do anything and don't slow down long enough to actually smile)......Up until I started caching.

I think caching brings out a certain common bond for everybody that does it, it brings out those of us who like to slow down and enjoy the scenery, you know, actually have a conversation with a complete stranger (other cachers :smile: )and not feel intimidated. I think I've met more random people in the last 12 months of doing this than I have in the last 8 years! It's almost like being a kid again.

Edited by LostinReno

:unsure:

You know, I used to feel the same way about Southern Nevadan's until I started caching, I was truly convinced there were no decent people that lived in Vegas. I would dread having to go down there for work.(Mainly because it is made up of mostly big city people who are always in a big friggin hurry to do anything and don't slow down long enough to actually smile)......Up until I started caching.

I think caching brings out a certain common bond for everybody that does it, it brings out those of us who like to slow down and enjoy the scenery, you know, actually have a conversation with a complete stranger (other cachers :D )and not feel intimidated. I think I've met more random people in the last 12 months of doing this than I have in the last 8 years! It's almost like being a kid again.

Amen! And it was FUN meeting you at the GBES 2007 Rally!

As far as Southern California goes, there has to be some nice folks down there. There are so MANY people down there, the odds say that some must be nice. Besides, there are loads of caches and cachers down there as well. :D

:D

I think caching brings out a certain common bond for everybody that does it, it brings out those of us who like to slow down and enjoy the scenery, you know, actually have a conversation with a complete stranger (other cachers :D )and not feel intimidated. I think I've met more random people in the last 12 months of doing this than I have in the last 8 years! It's almost like being a kid again.

I'm glad you met me, too. :unsure:

I had a BLAST this past weekend! It was so nice to meet both of you! We spent three hours yesterday de-dusting the grocery getter :angry: It was worth every minute!! I have to say our little stock Xterra did pretty well! We need to get some KC lights or something for next year, just the headlights on the extreme parts were a little nutty!

For me, this is about a 90 minute drive roughly.. and um, I was just caching through that area like 2 weeks ago. The whole area is quite cache dense though out that direction it's a little less dense than Sacramento and the bay area in general. Highway 99 has a pretty good amount of caching along it while I5 does not appear to but then 99 is mostly a wide 2 lane highway where I5 is a freeway with few chances to exit. It should be a fun outing and I plan on attending.

You guys are too funny....

Since I'm not a Californian, I'll just keep my comments to myself :P

Now show me some sweet Cali hospitality; I'm coming down from Montana. I tried to do some research but haven't met with much luck.

Might have to fly but for now am planning on driving. So....

Does the event location have camping facilities? If not...

I've searched the surrounding area for campgrounds and seems to me the closest one I could find was the Far West Campground on the Reservoir? Suggestions for camping locations anyone?

I'd really like to get a head start on my planning, considering the busy holiday.

Is Chico worth seeing? I'd head home that way. Suggestions for sightseeing on my way home (anything north of Wheatland) and/or worthy caches? I prefer my caches to have some mountain hiking with great views or along lakes with pretty trails (not interested in urban/micros). Other than that I'm open to suggestions all.

Looking forward to planning my trip over the months and finally getting to my first mega event :P

Thanks in advance to any help you can give me.

(fwiw, I'm coming from Helena).

tsun :lol:

You guys are too funny....

Since I'm not a Californian, I'll just keep my comments to myself :D

Now show me some sweet Cali hospitality; I'm coming down from Montana. I tried to do some research but haven't met with much luck.

Might have to fly but for now am planning on driving. So....

Does the event location have camping facilities? If not...

I've searched the surrounding area for campgrounds and seems to me the closest one I could find was the Far West Campground on the Reservoir? Suggestions for camping locations anyone?

I'd really like to get a head start on my planning, considering the busy holiday.

Is Chico worth seeing? I'd head home that way. Suggestions for sightseeing on my way home (anything north of Wheatland) and/or worthy caches? I prefer my caches to have some mountain hiking with great views or along lakes with pretty trails (not interested in urban/micros). Other than that I'm open to suggestions all.

Looking forward to planning my trip over the months and finally getting to my first mega event :D

Thanks in advance to any help you can give me.

(fwiw, I'm coming from Helena).

tsun :(

I'm not too sure on the camping facilities down there. We are planning on cruising down there in Octoberish to scope out the areas. (I will let you know what we find!) If they are campgrounds that are run by the Parks Dept of California. They do take reservations online, however they usually post them at 8am on Jan. 2. Since this is falling on a holiday weekend, I'd suggest you put in your reservation on Jan. 2nd! I had a friend this year get denied on a Tahoe site for 4th of July that she tried to get at around 10am on Jan. 2nd.

I haven't been to Chico in about 13 years (my cousin went to college there, yeah, it was true to it's party reputation!) but it is a cool little town! Bike paths everywhere! I'd imagine there are some pretty dense caches there with all of the trails. I don't know if it's still there or not but there was this cool place called Madison Bear Garden, pub with pub grub type of place. One of the best burgers I've ever had. They had the best homemade pickles! Of course that was many years ago :D Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is also made in Chico. Not too sure if they do tours or not. I think they do now days. Back then it was still a very small brewery.

If your headed north of Chico, Shasta is a very nice area to visit too!

Bah, a 6 hour drive? I'll cross my fingers for a Geowoodstock in Southern California. :D

That'll never happen unless/until a southern California caching group works to get it there and to organize the event. This applies to any other location around the country and/or world that wants to host this event.

The River City Geocaching & Dining Society and the Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers worked hard to put in a proposal to get GeoWoodstock and now we're working even harder to organize the event.