Moun10Bike V2 Geocoin - Pewter - Geocaching hard find

fivedime

I don't know what this clown's game is, but...

"No, I don't have the coin. This is a TEST auction, not a real one. As far as I know, this coin was lost by the current owner, thestosh. This is just part two of a hoax on the Geocaching forums. They shut the thread down before I got a chance to come clean!!"

Reply from the seller on eBay, "mollymock*" when I asked about the coin. I guess he thinks it's funny to cause such a stir here. :anicute::anicute:

Well this note was added on the 27th !!

On May-27-07 at 03:17:46 PDT, seller added the following information:

Test Auction!

Bid early and Bid often!!

Free shipping to Geoching.com forum Moderators!

Seems at this point ebay "SHOULD" take action, as it is a misleading ad from the begining, that is now a binding contract to deliver the goods.

Ebay "does" allow test auctions, but only for ebay beginners testing formats , This person is clearly not a beginner, this is a hoax, and the bidders do have a contract for the specified product as claimed prior to this note being added.

Once again Familyof4 doing wrong. BTW that Kansas coin was dropped in a cache, untill it is picked up we will not know if it's the real or the copy

Edited by glennk721

I'm sure that ebay has received several notices of this auction...given their standard response -

Thank you for writing eBay's SafeHarbor Department about a listing or

seller you would like us to investigate for fraudulent activity. We are

concerned about this type of activity and want to assure you that we

will review your report as soon as possible, usually within 24 hours.

I'm sure they'll lock it up eventually. Since it's the holiday weekend, things may move a little slower at ebay and at Groundspeak.

I'd vote for not giving the troll any more food or attention in this matter.

Locked before he could come clean? For pete's sake, start an apology thread! And, if for some reason he was givin a "time out" email someone and ask THEM to post it for you.

He isn't trying, in any way whatsoever, to come clean!

Locked before he could come clean? For pete's sake, start an apology thread! And, if for some reason he was givin a "time out" email someone and ask THEM to post it for you.

He isn't trying, in any way whatsoever, to come clean!

Would it make a difference or do any good? I know I personally would choose not to deal with this person or anything they are involved with based on what I have read, no matter what degree of sorry they can state. It is one thing to forgive, but to forget is a whole other story. They only reason to come here to explain would be if this was nothing but a hoax put onto him by someone else. If he did any of these things on his own, then there's not much to come here and explain.

I don't know what this clown's game is, but...

"No, I don't have the coin. This is a TEST auction, not a real one. As far as I know, this coin was lost by the current owner, thestosh. This is just part two of a hoax on the Geocaching forums. They shut the thread down before I got a chance to come clean!!"

Reply from the seller on eBay, "mollymock*" when I asked about the coin. I guess he thinks it's funny to cause such a stir here. :sunsure::D

Wow imagine that, the same exact response I received, can you say copy and paste? He claims the thread was shut down before he could come clean, let see what happens first, the mods shutting down this thread or MollyMock coming clean.

Response from mollymock*

mollymock*( 85)

Positive feedback: 100%

Registered on: www.ebay.com

Item: Moun10Bike V2 Geocoin - Pewter - Geocaching hard find (300115246521)

This message was sent while the listing was active.

mollymock* is the seller.

No, I don't have the coin. This is a TEST auction, not a real one. As far as I know, this coin was lost by the current owner, thestosh. This is just part two of a hoax on the Geocaching forums. They shut the thread down before I got a chance to come clean!!

Respond to this question

Responses in My Messages will not include your email address.

Edited by Damenace

The second one was shut down because we were promoting bidding or somethign like that.

Promoting bidding by discussing how this item was a fake and the seller was a con-man? Seems if no one said anything that that would be the disservice.

Maybe someone needs to start a board on a domain like notgeocaching.com were we can discuss threads that were locked by TPTB on this board ...?

:D ... hmmm ... :sunsure:

Either way they need to deal with this person now and quit saying they are "going to."

I really dont know who you are speaking about?

eBay will choose to do nothing. They act very quickly if they are going to do something. They don't wait days to take an auction off. What would be the point of that?

What can Groundspeak do besides possibly suspend the possible sellers account?

Just got back from a maintenance run on my geocaches and had this email waiting for me:

Dear eBay Community Member,

The bid that you entered for the item (300115246521) has been cancelled. You can view the reason provided for the cancellation by selecting the (bid history) link from the individual item page.

Regards,

eBay

Also had a couple of emails from the lister similar to ones already posted.

I asked him if he just enjoyed tormenting people, to which he replied:

"Yes, wonderful, isn't it?"

I think he got all the attention he needs on this one. I guess it is now back to pulling wings off flies or some other form of weekend entertainment.

On a semi-related note, there are now pewter editions up for sale of the Kansas, Tennessee, and Scotland geocoins. Can anyone who was involved with those coins confirm if any "official" coins were minted in pewter? At the risk of repeating myself, I suspect not but do not know for sure.

What is more suspect is the fact that if this was a replica, There is reason to believe that this "replica" had to be created from a actual coin at some point. It would account why the last number on the coin was hidden/ photo chopped as well. This behavior of taunting people for gain is also a statment for the mindset of this person/people. I care not to shead further spotlight , but there are questions that have gone unanswered in the closed thread about the copy Kansas coin, and the same person suspect here with this "test" auction, and another "copy" coin possibly cast from the MIA original Moun10bike coin.

It was nothing more than a photoshop "replica."

It appears we have a garden-variety troll on our hands, nothing more, nothing less. On most of the other forums I frequent this type of person is shown the door quite quickly, and not invited back. *sigh*

At least motivations have been exposed to the light of day, for all to see...

The second one was shut down because we were promoting bidding or somethign like that.

Promoting bidding by discussing how this item was a fake and the seller was a con-man? Seems if no one said anything that that would be the disservice.

Maybe someone needs to start a board on a domain like notgeocaching.com were we can discuss threads that were locked by TPTB on this board ...?

;) ... hmmm ... ;)

There are a few already out there... and one forum specific to geocoins.

;) ... hmmm ... :huh:

There are a few already out there... and one forum specific to geocoins.

I think that I've heard of that one, ;)

Yes, it's been cleared up that this was a "test auction" likely done for the sole purpose of stirring things up.

This issue is closed as is this thread.

If you see other "fake coins" or copies for sale, please let Eartha or I know and we'll work with Groundspeak to take action. Opening another thread to discuss it is just feeding the egos of the people doing this for fun to rile everybody up.

Man, what happened to the queit holiday weekend....? :)