extraction tool

Something I still haven't put together for my geocaching backpack is an extration tool kit. What does everyone carry with them (besides a knive) to help them get those pesky caches out of tight spaces? :anicute:

I work in a bike shop and found that a spoke (small hook bent on one end, ring for finger on the other) works great, also have a straight spoke with a bike computer wheel magnet mounted at the end...works great for snagging ferrous containers in tight locations. MooseMaMa is a Paramedic...she has a set of "spoke tools" too, and also uses a hemostat when a locking grip is needed. Don't forget a small mirror to look under, in, and around...a dental mirror works...and one slightly larger works even better.

Bill

One time I had to use the big "pliers" end of my car's jumper cables to get a cache container open . . . but those aren't very handy to carry around. :sunsure:

I use my walking stick -- a lot -- to poke around to find the cache. Tweezers come in handy for those tiny logs that are hard to get out of bison tubes.

Something I still haven't put together for my geocaching backpack is an extration tool kit. What does everyone carry with them (besides a knive) to help them get those pesky caches out of tight spaces? :sunsure:

I work in a bike shop and found that a spoke (small hook bent on one end, ring for finger on the other) works great, also have a ut its the top sespoke with a bike computer wheel magnet mounted at the end...works great for snagging ferrous containers in tight locations. MooseMaMa is a Paramedic...she has a set of "spoke tools" too, and also uses a hemostat when a locking grip is needed. Don't forget a small mirror to look under, in, and around...a dental mirror works...and one slightly larger works even better.

Bill

I use something similar, but its the top section of a car antenna with the end bent at 90 degrees it also works great for getting those pesky magnetic caches out of pipes. For the pesky cache logs we use a multitool

Edited by vagabond

If I have to retrieve a micro/nano cache from a tight spot, I use a spring hook. It has a hook on one end, and a point on the other. Perfect for the one cache I found in a seam between two slabs of concrete, working the log out of a nano, or many other uses in the modern world. Its original purpose is to attach springs to their mounts, so its very stiff, thin, and sturdy. I love the thing.

Something I still haven't put together for my geocaching backpack is an extration tool kit. What does everyone carry with them (besides a knive) to help them get those pesky caches out of tight spaces? :sunsure:

I do not go after such caches. Period. And, if I arrive at ground zero only to discover that the hide is indeed such a cache, I walk away. Period. Thus, no need for extraction tools.

I do not go after such caches. Period. And, if I arrive at ground zero only to discover that the hide is indeed such a cache, I walk away. Period. Thus, no need for extraction tools.

Huh! I figured a V&S extraction tool kit might include a Bell 412 and a rescue basket.

Huh! I figured a V&S extraction tool kit might include a Bell 412 and a rescue basket.

LOL!! :D:lol::D

My reluctance to retrieve such nasty little micros has got to do with my allergy to most (no, not all) micros, particularly micros inserted into strange spots. Oh, and as for rotary wing craft, my ciurrent favorite for extrem caching is the Robinson R44, but admittedly the Bell 412 has far more power and lift/weight capacity for prolonged hoverng below the Dead Man's Curve. :D

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Something I still haven't put together for my geocaching backpack is an extration tool kit. What does everyone carry with them (besides a knive) to help them get those pesky caches out of tight spaces? ;)

I bring friends and family. One of them is normally small enough, tall enough, and sometimes dumb enough to get the cache. No special equipment though.

Up to this point we've always been able to get those pesky logs out of the case. BUT...yesterday while doing a owner maintenance run on several caches in a rural county park, we found that one of our magnetic containers that we thought we had taken the necessary precautions to prevent it from getting pushed back too far, was in fact, pushed way too far back. MrRing took the extra windshield wiper that I had in the back of the Jeep and bent it up to make a hook on the end. We will now be carrying something that will have an extending handle on it.

We've learned our lesson!!!

Chicken :)

Did the topic change to extraction of chicken off the bone? If it did--I love chicken--and find that tools are only necessary if it's really hot off the grill--otherwise just finger lickin' good.

Uh, if the topic didn't change, then carry on, I'm not interested in replying to this thread. :)

Edited by Treasure Pirate

Did the topic change to extraction of chicken off the bone? If it did--I love chicken--and find that tools are only necessary if it's really hot off the grill--otherwise just finger lickin' good.

If it did then there will be a get back on topic warning or a lock soon. :)

We found a micro that was in a tube about 1/4" wide embedded in something big. No way my fat fingers could get that thing out. Glad it was close enough that we could come back!

typically I carry a Gerber multi-tool, my son has a leatherman that he carries just for caching. We also have a small mirror on an extendable handle, and a flexible part retrieval tool (about 2 feet long but coils up) that has retractable claws on the end. You can find both of these at a local auto parts store.

We have yet to be stymied by a cache or log. (that is, once weve FOUND it :blink: )

Edited by The Laughing Gnomes