Dog Treat Cache

River_Cat16

Dogs would probably think they are COOL. I believe that the reviewers would think any kind of dog food would be UNCOOL. Non food items would probably be OK. If I could find it and it has a logbook it would be COOL for me. Dick

Edited by W7WT

Dogs would probably think they are COOL. I believe that the reviewers would think any kind of dog food would be UNCOOL. Non food items would probably be OK. If I could find it and it has a logbook it would be COOL for me. Dick

Pretty much what he said! As a cacher, just fine. I would add that as a dog owner I would find it cool. If it were placed in a dog friendly (especially off leash) area, even cooler! And any kind of food . . . dog or human . . . very un-cool. Besides, my Daisy is juat about as picky as they come, doggy food-wise! :anicute:

Edited by FluteFace

Have seen/done a couple back when I started... they'd still contained dog focused items (and treats) and hadn't yet completely succumbed to a massive take-over by The Dreaded McToys.

I would imagine, however, that like 'people' caches, which should NOT contain food... 'dog' caches should also NOT contain food.

I mean, really, do you think a rodent --up to and including a--> bear would differentiate between the two?

I , and others I know, would most likely remove all consumables from said type of cache.

I , and others I know, would most likely remove all consumables from said type of cache.

I do . . . it's amazing what a little piece of poorly contained food can do to an ever so slightly 'moisturized' cache, if some critter hasn't gotten to it first! :D

(Gotta love that avatar! :sunsure:)

Cool? Not Cool?

Interesting question from a cat! :sunsure: There are many dog oriented caches on the public lands around where I live. Dog biscuits and greenies are fairly common contents. I have not seen or heard of any problems with them. The cache owners typically use sturdy ammo cans and hide the caches in places where animals are unlikely to get at them.

I understand the general need to avoid food in caches. I have come across several trashed containers where people had left candy. My general policy is to remove food if I find it. That said, I don't object to packaged dog treats because they seem relatively harmless and the dogs love them. This is one of those guidelines where we need to apply common sense.

Cool? Not Cool?

I understand the general need to avoid food in caches. I have come across several trashed containers where people had left candy. My general policy is to remove food if I find it. That said, I don't object to packaged dog treats because they seem relatively harmless and the dogs love them. This is one of those guidelines where we need to apply common sense.

If a 'packaged dog treat' seems relatively harmless... then why doesn't a 'packaged human treat' seem harmless, as well?

Does that make any sense to you?

They both smell. They're both consumable. Both items will attract unwanted visitors to a cache. Common sense would seem to be that if it is an edible item FOR ANY BEING then it does NOT belong in a cache. Just because you wouldn't eat it and dogs love them doesn't necessarily make it ok.

michelle

Edited by CurmudgeonlyGal

However well-intentioned, it is NOT cool. Just as we should not put human food in caches because it will attract wildlife, neither should we put pet treats in caches because it will also attract wildlife. Besides, most cachers would be no more likely to feed their dog a treat found in a cache than they would be to feed their child a piece of candy found in a cache.

However well-intentioned, it is NOT cool. Just as we should not put human food in caches because it will attract wildlife, neither should we put pet treats in caches because it will also attract wildlife. Besides, most cachers would be no more likely to feed their dog a treat found in a cache than they would be to feed their child a piece of candy found in a cache.

I would NEVER feed my dog something I found in a cache. However unlikely, it could have been intentionally poisoned by someone who doesn't like dogs and I am not willing to take that risk. It would be like allowing a child to eat Halloween candy that they got from strangers -- probably OK but is it worth risking their life or health?

Tennis balls, frisbees, toys, dog bandanas...all get a thumbs up from this team!

Tennis Balls are great in a cache. Caching a few years ago with Ajetpilot at Howe Farm, his dog Woody was good at sniffing out caches

that had tennis balls in them. He loved tennis balls. Did I log a cache that was found by a DOG? You bet I did!!

If a 'packaged dog treat' seems relatively harmless... then why doesn't a 'packaged human treat' seem harmless, as well?

Does that make any sense to you?

They both smell. They're both consumable. Both items will attract unwanted visitors to a cache. Common sense would seem to be that if it is an edible item FOR ANY BEING then it does NOT belong in a cache. Just because you wouldn't eat it and dogs love them doesn't necessarily make it ok.

A reasonable argument in general. But I'm thinking of local caches put out by experienced cachers who know one another. It would be presumptuous of me to remove the treats especially since I have not seen any harm done by them. I did remove some treats from one of my own caches that wasn't an ammo can (I've never seen an ammo can breached by an animal although I'm sure a bear could do it if there were any left around here).

The dog treats I have come across in caches are fairly neutral--I can barely smell them--whereas human treats tend to be like candy, gum or, at best, expired energy bars (ugh). I routinely remove food and other items that can cause a mess but, in my experience, most dog treats are quite durable unless exposed to moisture--not generally a problem where I live.

So, I don't recommend that people put dog treats in caches but at least in my area it is not the forbidden item it may be elsewhere. A slightly different take on heaven, I guess. :(

The first time we found a milkbone, Belle was so happy that I have to confess I now leave these in caches that are dog friendly, and animal deterrent.

I have a one of those shrink seal food machines, and I shrink seal about a dozen of them at a time and throw them in the backpack. Belle can't sniff them out at all, so I figure other animals can't as well.

I know it's maybe breaking the rules, but so far have had zero problem with this idea!

:lol: Cache resulting from your good imput.

Nice swag! Funny that a cache put out for dogs by a cat was found first by ferrets. :)

Coincidentally, I visited a 3-cache series today involving about a 6-mile walk in the desert and each cache (ammo cans in rocks) contained dog treats. A couple of the cache logs mentioned that their dog appreciated it.