Group Event

FDMAN

Hello to all. I am thinking of trying to put together some sort of geocaching scavenger hunt. It would consist of a few things:

1. Your starting point (different coordinates given to different sets of people).

2. Each set of coordinates will lead to a cache with coordinates to your next cache. (not sure how many caches there would be).

3. Caches will be evenly spread out over the area. (not sure how large of an area yet, figured 5 to 10 mile radius).

4. Prizes would be offered to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.

I was just wondering if there would be any interest in something like this. If so, great. If you have any ideas to make it better let me know. If not, well that's fine too. Maybe you could give me a suggetion of something better to do.

Thank you in advance to all who reply :anicute:

3. Caches will be evenly spread out over the area. (not sure how large of an area yet, figured 5 to 10 mile radius).

You should limit the area, at least for the competition caches, and declare "no driving". Driving during a competition is just asking for people to be speeding and driving dangerously. Otherwise it sounds fun.

Edited by WindChill

You should limit the area, at least for the competition caches, and declare "no driving". Driving during a competition is just asking for people to be speeding and driving dangerously. Otherwise it sounds fun.

Thanks, I appreciate any input that I can get.

I have done something similar to this, but it was more on the lines of a poker run.

Cachers had to go find caches throughout a 10 mile area. Each cache contained a numbered piece of paper thay had to return to me.

If they returned all the pieces with a certain timeframe, then we dealt out a hand of poker.

Best hand won!!!

People was allows to work individually or as teams., what ever they liked!

If you need details, send me an email.

Eric - TeamOVCacher

Okay, what about this? Would this be more fun in the Spring, early summer, late summer, fall, or winter?

If we do a "no driving" hunt, we can do it on the property where I work. There is about 327 acres that I would have access to. Do you think that would be a large enough area? Please give me some feedback on this. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance! :laughing:

I have been mulling on an idea.

If we make it several states wide it would be harder to get caught speeding.

Anyway basically you have a set of travelers.

Geocoins or TB's or some form of geocacher swag.

Coins and TB's would be good because of the trackability.

They have upon them a latitude and a Longitude or a combination of numbers.

Maybe even a special set for a poker style game.

This will be for the scavenger hunt part.

It would take some dedicated geocachers to keep it up and going within each specified area.

I(we)can come up with the maps and boundaries.

This also needs to be done just in case this becomes a hit and others want to do it they can use the template we create.

I also have a Old Treasure map I have been working with and was recently in a New Movie release called Cave of Gold.

This could also be done in a set of caches located within the specified "Game Area"

I will call the First one Area 51.

Code name: Cave of Gold.

Okay, what about this? Would this be more fun in the Spring, early summer, late summer, fall, or winter?

If we do a "no driving" hunt, we can do it on the property where I work. There is about 327 acres that I would have access to. Do you think that would be a large enough area? Please give me some feedback on this. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance! ;)

For my two cents, early spring and late fall are best. No bugs, good temperatures and less underbrush makes for the best caching.

A 327 acre field wouldnt be much fun, but if it has some woods and a bit of terrain that would be great for all but the biggest events. Recruit a few people to help put out caches, and have fun with it.

Other ideas...

Add a pot luck at the end of the day to let the folks meet each other and share their experiences.

You might consider having some kind of food available for lunch so people dont have to leave the site. With some notice you may be able to get a youth group (Boy Scout, Girl Scout, 4H etc) to come out and set up a lunch stand as a fund raiser.

You can contact some local businesses and ask for items to be used as prizes.

Combine the poker with the caches. Put each card in a sealed envelope and put a couple in each cache. People collect 5 envelopes throughout the day and open them at the end of the day.

On one big event I had a scavenger hunt to give the non-caching family members something to do.

Ive also had geo-bingo at an event. Put an ink stamp or a bunch of stickers in each cache. People mark their card as they find the caches.

Hope these help.

Great Smoky Mtn Geoquest

I attended this one, which was much like what you're talking about. All of the caches were permanent, and were loggable.

Theres also Dude, Donde Esta Mi Chevy?

The cachers that are putting on Dude, Donde Esta Mi Chevy do a scavenger hunt style race every year with prizes. You can also look up on their profile Alien Encounter, and Fragglestock (the 2005 and 2006 versions). Another local cache did Mission Impossible, same style. All very well done, and I'm sure they'd be happy to give you some tips.

The 327 acres is partial golf course, partial wooded, partial field. There are plenty of places for putting caches. I also think I can get a lot of involvment with some businesses in town, either donating prizes or actually being off site caches (if we decide to do anything off site). I have been talking with a local geocacher here and running some ideas by him. I am hoping to do something this fall. I will keep everybody informed of what I can put together. Please keep the ideas coming though. I really appreciate them.

Thanks ;)

If we do a "no driving" hunt, we can do it on the property where I work. There is about 327 acres that I would have access to. Do you think that would be a large enough area? Please give me some feedback on this. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance! ;)

For my two cents, early spring and late fall are best. No bugs, good temperatures and less underbrush makes for the best caching.

A 327 acre field wouldnt be much fun, but if it has some woods and a bit of terrain that would be great for all but the biggest events. Recruit a few people to help put out caches, and have fun with it.

Other ideas...

Add a pot luck at the end of the day to let the folks meet each other and share their experiences.

You might consider having some kind of food available for lunch so people dont have to leave the site. With some notice you may be able to get a youth group (Boy Scout, Girl Scout, 4H etc) to come out and set up a lunch stand as a fund raiser.

You can contact some local businesses and ask for items to be used as prizes.

Combine the poker with the caches. Put each card in a sealed envelope and put a couple in each cache. People collect 5 envelopes throughout the day and open them at the end of the day.

On one big event I had a scavenger hunt to give the non-caching family members something to do.

Ive also had geo-bingo at an event. Put an ink stamp or a bunch of stickers in each cache. People mark their card as they find the caches.

Hope these help.