Tom Tom Geocahce POI

Paste the two generated files (ov2 and bmp) created from GSAK into the root directory of the UK map folder. Then on the TomTom itself do a route to a POI - if you scroll through the POI list you should find your GSAK created ov2 file - whatever it was called. When I generate mine from GSAK I call them "Geocache Local.ov2" or for next week up in the Lakes it will be "Geocache Lakes". That way in the POI list they always show up on the letter G! But note, if you want to rename them, make sure you rename both the ov2 and bmp files.

If you want to be really sad you can have an audible warning when you are near a cache!!

Chris

Paste the two generated files (ov2 and bmp) created from GSAK into the root directory of the UK map folder. Then on the TomTom itself do a route to a POI - if you scroll through the POI list you should find your GSAK created ov2 file - whatever it was called. When I generate mine from GSAK I call them "Geocache Local.ov2" or for next week up in the Lakes it will be "Geocache Lakes". That way in the POI list they always show up on the letter G! But note, if you want to rename them, make sure you rename both the ov2 and bmp files.

If you want to be really sad you can have an audible warning when you are near a cache!!

Chris

Thanks a lot Chris - Success!

(PS I had already set audible alerts :anicute: how sad does that make me?)

Chris

Thanks a lot Chris - Success!

(PS I had already set audible alerts :anicute: how sad does that make me?)

Audible alerts? It makes you as sad as us!! But at what distance from the cache as you are driving do you get the alert? This could be a thread on its own.... I normally use 1000 yards.

By the way, you can load up as many POI files as you like (if your card has space!). I create several from GSAK.

Chris

Edited by The Blorenges

This is cool! Exported from GSAK & loaded some onto my TomTom today and it works a treat! I also set mine to 1000 yards alert, and it's amazing how many you drive past. The ones that went off today I think I'd already found, so I really need to filter them better in GSAK before I export them. It really is rather amusing - when I'm approaching a speed camera the TomTom goes "boing!" and if there's a cache near I've set it to the "bugle" sound. ;)

This is cool! Exported from GSAK & loaded some onto my TomTom today and it works a treat! I also set mine to 1000 yards alert, and it's amazing how many you drive past. The ones that went off today I think I'd already found, so I really need to filter them better in GSAK before I export them. It really is rather amusing - when I'm approaching a speed camera the TomTom goes "boing!" and if there's a cache near I've set it to the "bugle" sound. ;)

I have the bugle as well...........and caches set to 500 yards....am I more sad or less sad???????

I have the bugle as well...........and caches set to 500 yards....am I more sad or less sad???????

Cuckoo at 250 meters.

Or create your own warning using this free program

http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/

Once you've created your masterpiece you need to save it as an oggvorbis (.ogg) file. Make sure the file name (apart from the extension) is EXACTLY the same as the file name for the TT bmp and ov2 files, copy this to the map directory where the ov2 files are, then when you approach the poi you will get your spoken message instead of the bells, whistles, moos, etc.

You can tell if the new voice file is installed correctly as you will not be given a choice of audible alert.

Works OK for me using TT6

Bob S

Having read this thread with interest and found that others use TomTom much as I do, I will add my two pennyworth by adding that I start the names of my geocaching POI files with an"A" so that they come top of the list when I browse for them to add to the POI goto display - e.g. "A Home.ov2" or "A Lakes.ov2". It saves a few milliseconds when I am setting TomTom up for a trip.

Thanks to everybody for all the GSAK advice here and in similar threads - can't wait to go try entering them more efficiently than I've been doing!

Audible warning range: I had mine set to audible at 1000 yards...and it went off too much...then down to 500...then 300...then 200...now it's down to 100 yards so it only goes of if I'm so close I shouldn't miss the opportunity, and not so often that it goes off just while driving about (and my wife is no longer annoyed). :(

It WAS playing the Star Trek red alert klaxon before, but I changed it to the Moo for my kids...besides, one Moo is less annoying than the three red alerts!

As for audibles going off on already hit caches...I move the caches I've found to a separate POI category 'Geocaches found' so I still have them if I want to go back to them, but I see them on the map differently and I have the audible disabled on those. (They get the skull and crossbones icon - treasure already found!)

Thanks again -

J

Edited by imanxman