Geowoodstock 5

It was my 2nd Geowoodstock...and my favorite. You guys did an outstanding job putting it together. :anicute: If you ever wanted to see about 2000 cachers all in one place, you should've been there.

I met alot of people I talk to in the forums, people I've made staffs for, and a lot of old friends.

I kept trying to read name tags to see if I might see someone I knew, but so many people were named "Meal Ticket"? :anicute:

El Diablo

It was my 2nd Geowoodstock...and my favorite. You guys did an outstanding job putting it together. :unsure: If you ever wanted to see about 2000 cachers all in one place, you should've been there.

I met alot of people I talk to in the forums, people I've made staffs for, and a lot of old friends.

I kept trying to read name tags to see if I might see someone I knew, but so many people were named "Meal Ticket"? :anicute:

El Diablo

Wow. That was AWESOME!!!

Everyone kept commenting on that meal ticket thing. :anicute:

GW5 rocked!!! :unsure::anibad::anicute::anicute: , no problems, food was great. We served about 1500 people in 36 minutes! Thanks to all those you helped out, and all those who atteneded!

I was wayyyyy back in line and I got through in 10-12 minutes once they opened the lines.

BTW- Jeremy and Shauna rolled up their sleeves and helped out in the serving line. I thought that was really cool. :D

Had a great time at GW5. Was glad to finally meet so many that I've traded coins with or emailed or just chatted with in the forums!!! I got to meet people from Germany, Canada and all sorts of different states. I wish I had had more time to socialize, but the number of caches in the area was too tantalizing!!! :sunsure:

OH yea, I got to meet Jeremy before I ever signed into the event!!!! We got out of the car and there he was!!! :( Very cool, nice meeting him and Shauna and so many other cachers!!! :(

Had a great time and props go out to NCGO for a well done event!!! :D:D:D

Wish I could make it to California, but alas this Acorn is afraid of airplanes!!! :lol:

Gotta run, stuff to catch up on at home now!

Take care everyone - stay in touch!!!!!!

Edited by The Blind Acorn
GW5 rocked!!! ;);):):huh: , no problems, food was great. We served about 1500 people in 36 minutes! Thanks to all those you helped out, and all those who atteneded!

I was wayyyyy back in line and I got through in 10-12 minutes once they opened the lines.

BTW- Jeremy and Shauna rolled up their sleeves and helped out in the serving line. I thought that was really cool. :D

Jeremy and Moun10Bike's wife? That's how rumors get started! ;) Do Samsy and Jon know?

Seriously, sounds like it was a fantastic event. Wish I could've been there. Glad some Westies made the trek.

Outstanding! congratulations to NCGeo on a job extremely well done across the board. And especially to the food service volunteers (Celeste for Queen) - what a meal and what organization and speed on the service! Our heartfelt thanks to all of you.

And we saw lots of pre-GW5 cache maintenance done all over the area. And used the excellent bookmarked lists that people created to enjoy some days of kayak caching, hiking in the woods, exploring the beautiful town and campus at Chapel Hill, walking the American Tobacco trail and a touch of running silly numbers.

Had a great time Saturday talking to many many folks from all over.

Let's do it again next year :)

Outstanding! congratulations to NCGeo on a job extremely well done across the board. And especially to the food service volunteers (Celeste for Queen) - what a meal and what organization and speed on the service! Our heartfelt thanks to all of you.

And we saw lots of pre-GW5 cache maintenance done all over the area. And used the excellent bookmarked lists that people created to enjoy some days of kayak caching, hiking in the woods, exploring the beautiful town and campus at Chapel Hill, walking the American Tobacco trail and a touch of running silly numbers.

Had a great time Saturday talking to many many folks from all over.

Let's do it again next year :D

I hafta agree on the organization at GW5. I didn't hear one person complaining about ANYTHING with respect to the event all day. It was just perfect teamwork and execution by NCGeo.

The N.U.T.S., RCGDS, & Bay Area Geocachers have some mighty BIG shoes to fill. I know they can pull it off. I'm bettin' 3,000+ will show up at a west coast GW. (I dunno, when all is said and done, 3000+ might just be a conservative estimate.) :D

I'll be there!!! I'm already planning the vacation time. ;)

BTW- Those that are planning to hit Yosemite during GW6 should consider taking 120 over to the Lee Vining area and do some cachin' around Mono Lake. The veiws are spectacular and the terrain is some of the most unique in the world. Some of my best caches are hidden right there, but in a setting like that, they're alllll good.

Ditto!

It was definitely an awesome experience all the way around the horn. It was very cool to meet so many folks that we knew only by name here in the forums as well as getting to hang out with many of our friends from home.

GW6 is probably not in the cards for us because of the location, but I am sure that many from the West Coast will be happy to have an event in their neck of the woods! Next time it swings back to the East Coast, we'll be there!

~ Mother Hen of Evil Chicken

This GW was very well organized. There was plenty of room for the around 2000 people who attended at some point during the day on Saturday to mill around, trade, talk, galk, or just sit and watch the action.

It was realy interesting to watch the kids who were playing in the BINGO game running around asking who was wearing a thong :)

The Documentary screening Friday night was a nice touch. Guess I now know why I saw Ventura Kids hiding under that picnic table. :D

Friday night at the Ramada, I got to sit in the "geocoin widow and widower's corner" and talk with some of the other "widder's". Had a very nice conversation with Cymbaline and the He-Doxie there.

Commiseration is always much better in numbers :)

I didn't get to socialize as much as I would have liked. There was just too many people there and I didn't seem to have enough time to talk, with all that was going on. However, I did get to meet some new people and catch up with some old friends from far away.

I only got to cache one day out of the 3 we were there, but that was just fine with me. It was a nice balance. We laughed so much we had Chunky Chipmunk rolling on the floor of the car and Altosaxplayer entertained us via his geocaching name change abilities :)

Thankfully, Chunky got all the ticks and Poison Ivy on her and I didn't get any. B)

Oh, and I never thought I would see a group of geocachers be as quiet a church mice until it came to making sure they didn't miss the bewiching hour to hear the "voice from the great beyond" tell them where the cache was at "Midnight" B) You could have heard a pin drop out in those woods when the clock struck 12:00 am !

One thing that I did notice... everyone who attended seemed to be in a positive mood. All seemed to be having a great time doing whatever it was that interested them. I didn't hear one negative comment from anyone that I talked to. Quite a feat with that many in attendence for sure.

I know Itchy (Tennessee Jed) and Pepper were estatic when they found out how much the quilt they had worked so hard on for the last 3 months, went for $550.00 in the silent auction. It sold for higher than any other item in the auction by far. B) It was a fitting tribute to all the work and logistic planning they had done just to make the quilt a reality.

The food was very good and the lines moved lighning quick. Was nice to see Jeremy and Shauna taking time out to volunteer in the serving line.

Since the GW6 venue was announced at GW5, I guess we are on a quest to save enough gas money to make it to the left coast next year.

What a cache run it will be making our way 2500 miles cross country to see what the West Coast Geocaching Community has in store for us! :(

I'm hoping to find time to actually log some of those finds this week...I don't think I've even logged the event. Logging now will bring back fond memories.

Thanks again for a great time

I only logged up to my 500 milestone. I still have a few more caches to log for the rest of my 15 state 3100+ mile loop with Moosiegirl navigating. I have 3 DNFs to log too.

Thank God for skirt-lifters, wally-world caches, cemetary caches, micros, and virts. I painted the map red in 11 NEW states for a grand total of 24 states cached and now 6 states with an event attended. :blink:

My wrist still hurts from scooping that potato salad! I learned a new respect for lunchroom workers, that much is for sure.

GW6 looks to be a bit out of the way for me...but you never know. I've always been partial to road trips, and South Carolina to California sounds like an ultimate one, at that.

We shall see.

GW6 looks to be a bit out of the way for me...but you never know. I've always been partial to road trips, and South Carolina to California sounds like an ultimate one, at that.
Easy to get to also. Not too many turns for you. Jump up to Wilmington, turn left on I-40, and then right when you get into California. :blink:

It's over? Not for some!

Cached Saturday in Nashville with Team NAB, GeoPirat and Cache-n-Keri, still 'on the way home' from the event!

Sunday after the event I cached a great loop down to Charleston SC then up the coast road to Myrtle Beach with Rock&Crystal and their lovely daughter.

This is 4 of 5 for me, I wasn't caching yet when the first was held. All great, fun events that just keep keep getting better!

Thanks and Good Job to the hosts and helpers.

I hope all the vendors found it worth their while, and thanks to Groundspeak for their attendance and support.

Ed

Edit to add: See you in CA!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Hate to rain on the parade and I want to say I have seen at least two caches fixing to be archived in the area because of damage to property to where a cache was hidden. I know one log even stated they as an owner they are going to have to pay for damages that was caused during that weekend.

Let us just take a moment to remember that leave no trace behind does not just apply to caches in the woods, but also urban caches.

::dusts off the ol flamesuit::

Hate to rain on the parade and I want to say I have seen at least two caches fixing to be archived in the area because of damage to property to where a cache was hidden. I know one log even stated they as an owner they are going to have to pay for damages that was caused during that weekend.

Let us just take a moment to remember that leave no trace behind does not just apply to caches in the woods, but also urban caches.

::dusts off the ol flamesuit::

Bummer - that should never happen.

Still, if only two were damaged with ~2000 cachers in town that's not exactly reflective of all cachers, right?

Care to share the particulars?

Rambler you make a vaild point and I can only speak for two caches but I am sure others have some of issues that we might not know about.

From what I understand, a hill that was covered in pinestraw at a local business park by the end of the weekend the entire hill was bare and most of the pinestraw was laying at the bottom of the hill

I don't want my post to be taking the wrong way, the event itself was a year in the planning and the NCGO put on a great event and I enjoyed every moment of it.

I'll add my thanks to the organizers of GW5. It was my first one altho I've been wanting to get to one for a while now. It was good to see everyone again that I've met before and also good to meet others in person for the first time that I've only know thru these forums. Only downside I can see is that there were so many people to meet that I didn't get to catch up to everyone I wanted to . I can live with that tho. Hope to make it to next years. :lol:

I'll add my thanks to the organizers of GW5. It was my first one altho I've been wanting to get to one for a while now. It was good to see everyone again that I've met before and also good to meet others in person for the first time that I've only know thru these forums. Only downside I can see is that there were so many people to meet that I didn't get to catch up to everyone I wanted to . I can live with that tho. Hope to make it to next years. :lol:

Ditto on that bolded part. I hardly had time to catch up with anyone and I've made a lot of good friends at the GWs I've attended. The whole day is a blur. I actually enjoyed the Meet & Greet a teeny bit more. I think.

Thanks very much to YOU though. You are one of the many people that made the day special for me. :)