Traditional Ammo can hiding spots

Newenglandtrails

Just a question for a phrase I have read while exploring for Ammo can caches...: Alot of the description of how to find an ammo can cache refer to "seek a traditional hiding spot for an ammo can"

So far I have had more luck finding micro-caches or traditional non ammo-can caches.. I thought finding a big old ammo can would not be a problem, but I've been out on a couple of searches for ammo cans and have had no luck. I have looked under ledges, in holes under uprooted tree's, In stone walls and up in the trees..

Hoping someone can shed a little light on what a traditional ammo can hiding spot might be like.

Thanks NET

Well who knows what someone means when they put that in their description, but here are the usual places I find ammo cans:

-- sitting at the foot of a tree/pole in a wooded area

-- hiding in/under a fallen tree

-- inside a hollow in a tree

-- crammed under a rock

Just a question for a phrase I have read while exploring for Ammo can caches...: Alot of the description of how to find an ammo can cache refer to "seek a traditional hiding spot for an ammo can"

So far I have had more luck finding micro-caches or traditional non ammo-can caches.. I thought finding a big old ammo can would not be a problem, but I've been out on a couple of searches for ammo cans and have had no luck. I have looked under ledges, in holes under uprooted tree's, In stone walls and up in the trees..

Hoping someone can shed a little light on what a traditional ammo can hiding spot might be like.

Thanks NET

What very unhelpful descriptions or hints for a person just starting out!!!!

Around here, typical might be under a pile of rocks, branches, or a natural "hole". Have others found the ammo cans that you're missing? It is possible that a non-geocacher (muggle) has taken off with the cache or it's been otherwise lost.

Don't forget under a bush, under an artificial pile of rocks or sticks, or Palmetto branches, depending on what's available . . . :rolleyes:
I would check in stumps, deadfalls, and between large boulders. Make sure your coords are accurate by letting your GPS settle. If you are under trees you may have to find a clearning to get an accurate bearing to point where the cache is hidden.

I can usually spot an ammo can by the large number of sticks or other type of ground cover needed to hide it. Although these are 'natural' items, an excess amount of rock or stick cover stands out if you are looking for it. Good Luck!

I found the most excellent hiding spot for an ammo can recently. There was a huge crack between two large slabs of slickrock, and the can fit perfectly in the crack. All I had to do was find was a couple of thin rocks to put over the top and the hiding spot was almost "invisible." :sunsure:

However, most of the time, the hiding spots for ammo cans are pretty obvious . . .

Edited by Miragee