Geocacher Needs Maintenance Geocoin

scobey

These micro coins were made by Oakcoins and are 1" (25 mm) in diameter, 2.5 mm thick, and finished in imitation hard enamel. 450 black nickel and 50 gold versions of the coins were manufactured. The cost of the coins is $5.50 sold in the US and $6.00 sold outside the US plus a flat $1.50 per order shipping and handling fee.

CNMBNBACK150.jpgCNMBNFRONT150.jpg

The inspiration for this coin came from a most unfortunate incident. Scobey and I were heading out to beta test one of his puzzle caches when he fell on the ice and received a proximal femur fracture of greater trochander. The initial logs of the 221B Baker Street - The Case of the Deep Puzzle cache document the events of that cold March evening. Additional information may be gleaned from the GeocacheAlaska! Scobey's Slip thread and the geocaching.com Cache Owner Needs Maintenance..., Ever been injured hunting your own cache? thread.

Twenty-five of the gold coins were given to Scobey for his personal use. The remaining 25 are available only to the first 25 cachers who order coins and post a link documenting a caching mishap that required a trip to the emergency room medical treatment and/or drew blood documented with a photo in this thread. Be sure to include your caching name in the comments field on the PayPal order page so your order can be matched with your forum post.

The coins are trackable on geocaching.com with a custom icon CNM%20GC%20ICON%2032%20S[1].JPG and the activation codes are available at Oakcoins.

The geopins are 1" (25 mm) in diameter with the black nickel and imitation hard enamel finish. They are also made by Oakcoins.

Scobey is back up and about finding caches and hiding evil caches, but the pain of the medical bills will take longer to fade. These coins may be purchased on the GeocacheAlaska! website at the geocoin sales page. All proceeds from sales of this coin will be donated to Scobey to help dull the pain.

Many thanks to NorthWes for working up the artwork for the coin and the custom icons.

Thanks for your support!

Edit: Revised criterion for the gold version of the coin from emergency room visit to medical treatment required. Don't forget to link to the relevent cache log.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

I dont know if this one qualifies, but we have a cacher down our way who manages to injure himself at almost every cache he does. This is a link to the forum post which links to some 'painful' logs :P

CONGRATULATIONS to Swampy for his startling ability to injure himself on most caches attempted - these two are stand-outs...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...bb-99254d5c22d6

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...6a-d9ff8b31129c

We recommend the following as a must-have item for future caching adventures:

4e6389c2-08fc-406a-af97-7fd6bbb31631.jpg

(ooh aint we stinkers :twisted: )

Mrs CP may also have to invest... :oops:

The Cheesy Pigs hope Swampy hasn't hurt himself too badly :rolleyes:

Edited by Cheesy pigs

I don't know whether to be happy or disappointed that we are are not eligible to order this coin! I think I'll go with happy...LOL! Very cool coin!

Anyone can order the black nickel version of the coin in any quantity. The gold version is reserved for those who have been injured while caching and provide a link to the cache log documenting the mishap.

This is old, but how about this...

This was perhaps my 25th cache find. it's called "My Happy Day!"

Click

Yow! Was the return to the cache site necessary to complete the log sign-in, or avoidance behavior vis-avis Mrs Nero? In any case, sounds like this one qualifies!

For those who're not premium members (sign up now!)

or who've not yet accessed the logs on

"221B Baker Street - The Case of a Deep Puzzle!"

I'll re-publish here the Iconographic Short Story

inked to memorialize scobey's slip...

f5448dc5-31e5-4937-9624-4f3a5275fab6.jpg

cf83a5a1-f5bf-4fb4-94b1-8a4222a97a2b.jpg

ea239f70-dddb-43b1-852e-dfc48dda3879.jpg

ffff3752-e299-4942-8fdf-f5d5f94a9c63.jpg

35ed5b1d-9636-44c4-8f51-6b30ad6e87be.jpg

By the way, based on scobey's "Oh Nurse" series of cache hides

around town here, some suspect he's fond of opportunities to be

found in the care of the Nurse...

5ebbaeb7-0f40-4b80-99a8-6050919ddb25.jpg

...and from the Iconographic Short Story came the

"Cacher Needs Maintenance" geocoin...

:rolleyes:

Ordering mine now. Posting here first. I'm ordering for my younger son...lil checkers. The poor kid was either just barely 4 or ready to turn 4 and we were looking for a place to hide a cache in a nearby park. The two boys were running around the par course equipment when the little one cut it to close and ran into the wooden bench. He started shreaking, so I looked at his leg and discovered a VERY large splinter just under the skin on his leg. There was no way I could get it out, so we had to go pay the $100 copay at the emergency room and have it cut out. This splinter.....1.5 inches long and the diameter of a toothpick. I was so shocked that I forgot to save it or take pictures of it. I did however return later and place the cache...HERE

That is why I am ordering this for my son.

Well no pictures here, but this is probably got to be the worst thing that has happend to me that is documented, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...eb-ca06db15b02b.

I did a hike once that almost got me a helicopter ride, this hike landed me in the hospital with knee surgery this last February. Maybe I can scan the images of the surgery and post pictures, it has blood. Would this count? Link to log from hike. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...3c-35fdbdfc564b

Edit:

To add I have a picture of me being arrested while caching, does this count?

Edited by Damenace

This is old, but how about this...

This was perhaps my 25th cache find. it's called "My Happy Day!"

Click

Yow! Was the return to the cache site necessary to complete the log sign-in, or avoidance behavior vis-avis Mrs Nero? In any case, sounds like this one qualifies!

We went back after the hospital visit/stitches to actually grab/sign the log.

also, I ordered 3 coins, I definitely want one of the gold, but didn't see a box to add info.

i'm the po box in Phoenix!

Edited by Nero

... I have a picture of me being arrested while caching, does this count?

Ow - double ouch - Ow! Barbed wire at nite by maglite...

not my idea of a great night caching experience;

were the scars cool enough to make the ladies look twice?

Hmmm - head over heels going over barbed wire qualifies,

but Damenace being arrested...

sure and there's an icon for this one...

I see it in my mind's eye right now...

you're in striped prison garb,

pulling your pockets inside out,

shrugging sheepishly

(no hidden meanings here :P )...

because no geocacher who frequents the geocoin forums

has near enough money left to hire a lawyer!

:rolleyes:

Well the worst I've had happen to me is smashing my wrist on some rock bluffs and saving the GPS - it was a no brainer, right? haha! Well anyways I got all bloodied and such, but no hospital visit so I guess that leaves me out of being able to get this cool looking coin. I guess I should be grateful, actually...

Love this. Fortunately the closest we have come to an injury is a few stinging nettles, till yesterday. My son did fall off his bike yesterday when headed for a cache. Skinned his arm up. I wonder if he did it on purpose as his questions was, "can we get one of those coins now?" OK, you know you have coin problems when you read back over your message and see that you have typed "unfortunately" instead of fortunately. It's a good thing we don't quality for this coin, right? :-)

Edited by buddyluv4

Well, I sprained my ankle pretty good going up to Little Bear Mountain cache last August -- almost in sight of the Emergency Room of the hospital in Seward, AK -- just 500 feet up. But I wasn't going to let that stop me from getting to the top. Not when a first to find certificate from Ridgeseeker and Suzaru was up for grabs!

So I'm glad to say I'm not eligible for the gold geocoin. But will be ordering some of the others pronto, since so many of my searches are prone to injury. Or is it that the cacher is prone to injury?

This isn't my log, but my cachedate Zuma took Da Bloodhound out caching and this was the result.

September 24, 2006 by Da Bloodhound (1325 found)

Bunny Trail!!?? Watch out for the boulders as they may move on ya. They did me and I ended up jamming my left leg down in a hole. Result, Ruptured Achilles and heel fracture. This will slow down the caching I'm afraid. Surgery next week. TFTC though. Injured reserve but I'll play again. Da Bloodhound

[view this log on a separate page]

September 24, 2006 by zuma! (4008 found)

Well, this was the 13th find of the day, out caching with Da Bloodhound for the day. I enjoyed this cache location, and the rocks enjoyed Da Bloodhound's Achilles Tendon. While I was too far up the hill looking in potential hidey holes, Da Bloodhound was down at Ground Zero just nosing around, when I heard him fall.

I asked him if was OK, assuming that he was, since I fall almost every day caching and seem to survive it ok. "No, I think I broke my ankle." Well, we spent a few hours in a local ER, and found out that he had torn his Achilles Tendon. Ouch, that has got to hurt. Slowed down our caching for the rest of the day.

Anyway, it is still a nice place to visit, just be safe and watch your step, and yeah, despite the injury, we signed the log. We are cachers, ya know.

Kind hearted Zuma (who is a nurse too) went on to find more caches while Da Bloodhound was in the ER. Da Bloodhound recovered and now has passed me up by a few hundred caches. He doesn't frequent this forum, but does love coins!

Well I havent had any events like that! But have had a few scrapes and bruises! Didnt take any pics but Ive got one that express's what I went through. This pic was taken during the day of the Mega event after Geocoinfest. I was beaten to a tattered pulp. I was on my Mountainbike and there was alot of Sagebrush- I had beelined it straight down a hill to one of six Bikedog caches I hit up while I was there. In shorts and when I was done I was all scraped up and whithered away to one worn out cacher...Then off to the event!

1ca39236-b37c-49fc-a631-8043bab83294.jpg

Ive got a Blue toungue from the Gatorade and I had to hike my bike back outa where I had just been...only after hiking up a huge hill to find a shortcut that wasnt a shortcut! Lots 'O' uphill action on this one! And as I said-My legs were tattered...Just ask Dorkfish...She said-"Thats all from today!????"

Other than that I have had only stumbles over tree stubs and near eye poke outs from branches...(Hence my quote at the bottom)

And just yesterday my little Sweetpea slipped down a 4X4 trail bruising her hip and scraping it up! But she got up with a smile :)

I hope I dont have any more stories to post here and that I cache safe from here on out!...Maybe a Gold LE will give me the luck I need! :):) This just reminds me of my Hazrads of caching coin- Ive only got Passingwinds, but boy what a journey they went on!

Edited by 007BigD

I'm back from a 12-day, 1300 mile drive from Fairbanks to Anchorage, Seward, and Denali NP, and now have a chance to catch up with caching administrative duties.

"Complete" coin orders will be sent out today.

I am having trouble matching up orders with injury logs, so I need your help to straighten things out.

Cachers who posted a link to a cache log documenting caching carnage and earning a gold version of the coin with their order are:

Blue Power Rangers

Nero

Frivlas

Nicolo

Ladybee4T

Cheesy Pigs for Swampy

Triemer

larry739 Prarie Lee #1

Degai Catoctin Forde

Damenace

WIRobin for Da Bloodhound

No further action is needed on your part.

Cachers who ordered coins by didn't post a link to their caching carnage log are:

Eagle618

007BigD

Cachers who mentioned an injury, didn't post a link, and who I can't match to an order are:

buddyluv4

fairyhoney

Lazer

So, to help me get gold coins to the right deserving cachers:

If you didn't link to your caching carnage log, please do so in this thread.

If you ordered coins and didn't provide your geonick for me to tie back to this thread, please e-mail me at coinsales@geocachealaska.org.

I will distribute gold coins in the order that all requirements (post in this tread with link to cache log documenting the injury, coin order received, geonick matched to coin order) are completed.

Since a week has passed and there are still some gold coins up for grabs, I'm tweaking the "eligibility requirements" for a gold coin: To have a gold coin included in your coin order post a link to the cache log documenting a caching mishap that resulted in an injury (medical treatment or emergency room visit no longer required). Be sure to include your caching name in the comments field on the PayPal order page so your order can be matched with your forum post. A posted photo will earn a bonus Cacher Needs Maintenance geopin.

Anyone may purchase the geopins and the black nickel version of the coin.

As a reminder, all proceeds from this coin sale are going to defray Scobey's medical bills. All requests for trades should be sent to Scobey, since it is not my intent to benefit in any way from this project.

Thanks, everyone, for your support!

Edit to update gold coin status.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

Hi -

If there is room for me to order another gold one - I am honestly giving the one I ordered to my dad R-L-Painter for his injury - my husband is feeling a little slighted since he did cut his head open (running into a tree branch in the dark.. :o )

If I am able to order one for us to keep - here is a picture of his head wound.....

6b8be17c-1889-45d8-9ecf-1ee089c492b0.jpg

This is the log it is from -

Wicked Woods at night

If I can - just let me know. Otherwise my dad gets it and I understand - his injury was MUCH worse.

Mrs Blue Power Ranger

Hi -

If there is room for me to order another gold one - I am honestly giving the one I ordered to my dad R-L-Painter for his injury - my husband is feeling a little slighted since he did cut his head open (running into a tree branch in the dark.. :o )

If I am able to order one for us to keep - here is a picture of his head wound.....

<snip>

This is the log it is from -

Wicked Woods at night

If I can - just let me know. Otherwise my dad gets it and I understand - his injury was MUCH worse.

Mrs Blue Power Ranger

Double ouch :P and double credit for double photos and logs. Double gold and double pins will go into your package tonight for Monday mailing since I just got back from the post office which will close in about seven minutes.

Think that was a wound inflicted by the Fen Dweller?

Edited by Ladybug Kids

My ankle-spraining adventure at Little Bear Mountain is posted here. Plus a couple of pictures from up top -- but no pics of the ankle. I did make my husband carry the backpack after my ankle gave out.

Can't wait to make that hike! We're moving to Anchorage in the next couple of months, so Seward will be a lot more accessible. Hope your ankle has fully recovered.

Well, I'm going for the gold here. . .my husband, Jeff (AKA Hide-N-Seak) took a nasty fall way back on February 17, 2007. It was at Catoctin Forde (see log). It was really cold and this place is a kind of spooky place. My son and I wanted to leave, but my husband had to take a few pictures first. As he was backing up to take some pictures, he slipped on the ice and bumped the back of his head on a rock. At first, we thought everything was okay, even though he had headaches for the next few days. However, as the days progressed, so did the headaches. He decided to go to the doctor and he found out he had a concussion. So far, he has had 3 cat scans done and 1 MRI. They found a lot of blood leaking in his brain and thought they were going to have to drill some holes in his skull to relieve the pressure. He did have to take some medicine to reduce the swelling, and as of his last cat scan, the Drs. said it looked like his brain was starting to heal itself. So for now, they are just keeping an eye on him and if his headaches intensify, or his vision gets blurry, they may have to operate. Hopefully, his brain will continue to heal itself!

So does he get the gold? :blink:

I don't know how to get a picture here, but if you go to Catoctin Forde, I put a picture of his brain scan there.

Cachers who posted a link to a cache log documenting caching carnage and earning a gold version of the coin with their order are:

Nicolo ( hope you don't get too sick reading my name Nero )

I'm not sure what address I had on my order but I think that it was my Canadian address. If it's any easier shipping to Chandler, AZ, please let me know and I'll forward you my Arizona address.

Thanks for the contest.

If ANYONE deserves one of those LE coins, I DO! I'm a walking, talking accident waiting for a place to happen. Here are a few of my escapades (some have pix, some don't, but I'm posting the best "proof" picture ...

I have proven that I can fall down ANWHERE, even the Texas House of Representatives Gallery! I'm constantly hanging a toe on a firmly affixed root or vine and doing a face plant ... but I'm really good at falling in creeks, too, no matter where we are. I jammed my wrist when I fell in this one, just one day after we had a rare snowfall in Austin! Here I am trying to dry out and hold my wrist still ...

1000049_200.jpg

I still had the memory of that pain in my head when I fell and broke my arm, so I knew instantly that I'd done something a bit more spectacular this time. I had just changed my batteries, and was trying to catch up with Wayne and Trey while rebooting and finding the waypoint, and a durned old log about 18 inches in diameter got in the way. That's what I get for trying to walk and do something else at the same time!

To commemorate my first ever broken bone, I held an event (of course it helped that I had nearly 500 ammo cans to get rid of, as well!), and geocachers from all over Texas showed up. Here's a picture of the clean cast, but it was well-covered with signatures by the end of the event. I still have the nasty thing stashed somewhere ...

71814_200.jpg

To add insult to injury, my first stitches came by way of a geocaching accident, too ... I wasn't watching what I was doing again and stepped on a very roly poly rock, came crashing down on another one with a sharp(ish) edge, and gashed my palm open. Never fear, though, Queen Zelda had not yet done her first cache with her new 4WD, so we kept going! I just tied it up with one of the bandannas I always have around, iced it down with another to lessen the pain, and headed off for some more caches. For the second time, it was hours before I finally went to the emergency room and got the needed ''maintenance''.

8e5c4020-e9ca-40a6-99f7-fc9f358338ae.jpg

What's next? I continue to hope it's never a broken leg ... they'd have to call in a chopper to rescue me! :blink: Keep watching! Or, dare I say, is my second childhood finally over???? :D

Now, I'm off to claim my coin ... DEAR LORD, I HOPE I'M IN TIME!!!!

Happy Trails,

Candy

Edited by Moosiegirl