Geocacher Needs Maintenance Geocoin

scobey

While not as dramatic as some of the other posts here, my experience at Squonk (GCH984) has certainly changed what I carry with me when I cache.

In the aftermath of the sting I realized I had become allergic to the yellow jacket venom. I immediately downed a couple of Benadryl, but my arm and hand continued to balloon. Ultimately the skin was stretch so tight I couldn't move my elbow or fingers. I got into the MD the next day and walked out with a script for one of every antihistamine imaginable.

Epipens, don't leave home without one!

Well, it wasn't a caching accident, per se... but since one of my caches is right outside my house...

I have a hip that likes to "go out" or complain on long walks, especially on cache trips when the terrain isn't flat.

I fell and broke my toe back in March and was ordered to NOT cache for 6 weeks by my husband. Yah. right. I started to cache again using my cane.

I burned my breast three weeks ago and since I carry the baby in the sling during most caching trips, I end up in pain and bloody because the burn is right under where the rings sit.

I was too pregnant to cache during the summer and the subsequent post partum recouperation, which included the broken toe, hasn't helped. My numbers are still low in amount found and even though I want to, I still can't do much more than the drive up and cache ones.

baby.jpg

That is the baby in question. I took a break from caching when I was 4 months pregnant with her and nearly fell from the vertigo I got from one cache search. She's now 8 months old. We were out caching yesterday and I was carrying her in her sling when I nearly took a header on one trail. I didn't really log it like that. I took teeny tiny steps down the trail when we were returning from it. DD and DS, however, both ended up injured on it. Nothing more than scrapes and dirt though, although a previous cache DS was wearing sandals and now his toe is weird. We're hoping it isn't infected.

And to top it off, one of the other caches I did that same day nearly put me off of finding them period. An upwards climb the entire way and going back I was afraid I was going to end up sliding down on my posterior.

Then there's the one that was a walk down and that one I just about took a header off the trail while retrieving the cache. The only thing that stopped me was my walking stick which I didn't have during the previous two I've listed. DS slipped and landed against me and I, the mother I am, saved his butt. My toe is swollen again because of that.

Then there's the one where I slipped in doggy do and ended up with a DNF cause I hurt my hip.

its gotten to the point where my hubby won't let me cache without an emergency whistle just in case I do fall even if I go with him and our buddies. Too many close calls. I've given blood sacrifices to rocks, brambles and whipping tree branches. I've had my eyes hit, and just recently strained my ankles trying to find a cache. Then there's the mosquito feast that I am. And to top if all off, I've found three wasps nests while caching - only one was dormant.

Then there was the one where I had to ice my foot and ankle and wrist when I got home

Yes, I know that there are no injuries that required medical attention other than my broken toe and it wasn't really done on a cache trip, but it did hamper my fun and it makes me the slowest one of our group. :ph34r:

(edited to add one more incident with the full log)

Edited by mamid

Wow! That was FAST! And all the way from Alaska! I just ordered these coins/pins on Saturday afternoon and they arrived today! Great service.

BTW, I didn't get a gold coin in my packet. Are you sending these separately?

Ooops...all should have shipped together. My mistake...just can't get good help these days :rolleyes:.

All others...will update the list by tomorrow night...I've been traveling for work the past several days.

Placing order but thought I would add my latest antics that happened while caching in Texas this last week.

Posted at GC12T52 the following:

Out and about with Jade Eyes who is visiting and has just been introduced to caching. Boy did she catch on fast, did 10 out of 12 today, thought twice about some as they were BURIED in POISON OAK but she found the first 3 by herself. Had alot of fun in the rain and sunshine. Weather just couldn't make up its mind. Had to go barefoot, roll up the jeans and wade to get to it but it was worth it!!!

Or so I thought, I really really really should have know better than to climb through the Poison Oak on a few of these caches, I have now had to go the the Dr. for 2 shots and a weeks worth of steroids to fight all the blisters that popped up over night. Will be itching like crazy for at least 2 weeks and that is only IF I manage to cache without any more ivy:(

:blink: SL L-pathtag,whistles and all kinds of Alaskan goodies.

Uploaded pictures to GC12T52 and will add pic of the rashes. May not earn a gold but I sure would trade just about anything to NOT BE ALLERGIC to POISON IVY, OAK or Sumac :rolleyes:

Boy am I ready to get back to Alaska, we don't have that stuff at home.

poisonoakandme1.jpg

Took pictures a week after the shots so at least I am now only itching like crazy from the knees down . Pic only shows a 6" section of what my entire legs look like But I HAD to get the Cache LOL :D

Edited by Frozen Buns

Update on Gold Coin "winners:"

Moosiegirl

Stuck on WGS84

Prying Pandora

Frozen Buns

Mamid--I can't match your order to your post. Please drop me an e-mail or PM.

All orders received as of 11:30 p.m. ADT tonight will go out in Saturday's mail.

Thanks, all, for sharing your stories.

Well, it wasn't a caching accident, per se... but since one of my caches is right outside my house...

I have a hip that likes to "go out" or complain on long walks, especially on cache trips when the terrain isn't flat.

I fell and broke my toe back in March and was ordered to NOT cache for 6 weeks by my husband. Yah. right. I started to cache again using my cane....(ouch ouch etc)......Then there's the one that was a walk down and that one I just about took a header off the trail while retrieving the cache...(more ouch)....Yes, I know that there are no injuries that required medical attention other than my broken toe and it wasn't really done on a cache trip, but it did hamper my fun and it makes me the slowest one of our group.

So Mamid, do you actually enjoying caching, or are you a masochist? :anitongue::anitongue:

I fell and broke my toe back in March and was ordered to NOT cache for 6 weeks by my husband. Yah. right. I started to cache again using my cane....(ouch ouch etc)......Then there's the one that was a walk down and that one I just about took a header off the trail while retrieving the cache...(more ouch)....Yes, I know that there are no injuries that required medical attention other than my broken toe and it wasn't really done on a cache trip, but it did hamper my fun and it makes me the slowest one of our group.

So Mamid, do you actually enjoying caching, or are you a masochist? :anitongue::anitongue:

Do I have to answer that? :rolleyes:

Actually, I do enjoy most trips, even with the bumps and bruises. I figure if an ambulance hasn't been called, we're doing good. :rolleyes:

I'm the one who finds more caches that the guys or just points them out for them to grab - the "its behind that tree" type of find. I love having a caching buddy in his 20's. He's more than happy to now go after the stuff I can't. We keep the kids in between us and they love running.

But what they really love is finding "treasure." The look on their little faces makes everything worthwhile. <_<

Could I get a clarification please? Is the gold one to take the place of the one I purchased? I received a package today with one gold coin and 1 pin. I'm confused as the things highlighted on the envelope are C:1, G:Y, and P:1

Thanks, frivlas

Could I get a clarification please? Is the gold one to take the place of the one I purchased? I received a package today with one gold coin and 1 pin. I'm confused as the things highlighted on the envelope are C:1, G:Y, and P:1

Thanks, frivlas

I can see where this could be confusing...

If a cacher posts a "caching carnage" story and orders coin(s), one of the coins will be a gold version of the coin. So, if a cacher "earns" a gold and orders only one coin, the coin they will receive will be a gold limited edition.

If you (or anyone else who didn't get all the black nickels they wanted with their gold) would like a black nickel version, you can order another one via the sales page and let me know in the PayPal comments box if you'd like the $1.50 shipping fee refunded or a pin tossed in with the coin. In other words, the shipping will be on us because we weren't clearer on how the limited edition distribution would work.

Since this is a "benefit" coin, giving away coins would defeat the purpose and we aren't charging extra for the limited edition other than encouraging folks to share their caching incidents and helping raise awareness about the need to always practice safe caching.

Seven days before a scheduled trek to GW5 I fel at work, severly breaking my right leg, and requiring surgery 3 days later. I was told by the surgeon that I was to put no weight on the leg for three full monts ( crutches & wheellchair). Although I did not get injured caching, it did prevent me from going to GW5, and will keep me from caching all summer long. Do I qualify for the coin?

Thanks, frivlas

I can see where this could be confusing...

If a cacher posts a "caching carnage" story and orders coin(s), one of the coins will be a gold version of the coin. So, if a cacher "earns" a gold and orders only one coin, the coin they will receive will be a gold limited edition.

If you (or anyone else who didn't get all the black nickels they wanted with their gold) would like a black nickel version, you can order another one via the sales page and let me know in the PayPal comments box if you'd like the $1.50 shipping fee refunded or a pin tossed in with the coin. In other words, the shipping will be on us because we weren't clearer on how the limited edition distribution would work.

Since this is a "benefit" coin, giving away coins would defeat the purpose and we aren't charging extra for the limited edition other than encouraging folks to share their caching incidents and helping raise awareness about the need to always practice safe caching.

Boy, don't I feel foolish! I guess in the future I must learn to read between the lines. For some reason I failed to read it into this line "The remaining 25 are available only to the first 25 cachers who order coins and post a link documenting a caching mishap that required a trip to the emergency room medical treatment and/or drew blood documented with a photo in this thread. ". Oh well, my bad.... that's one of the reasons that I hardly ever buy coins anymore.

WOO HOO thanks Lady Bug, It will give me something to look forward to while I sit here and itch

Don't know which is worse, taking steroids and puffing up like a puffer fish, or itching LOL.

Went for another cache today in the ivy and told Frozen Fritters I was going in and he just shook his head and said the DR. said to stay out of the stuff.

Hard to do when you just HAVE to get the cache. :blink:

And hey, It did get me a special coin.

Please post when you get moved to Anchorage, will be fun to meet in person at a meet and greet.

I gave away a "Cacher needs maintenance" at last nights NUTS event!...I saw my friend Jester there and she had just slammed her hand in the car door before the event! She was icing it and you could tell it hurt B)

I tossed one of these to her and said "this otta serve the occasion" She was really happy, chuckled at the circumstance and tore right into it! I brought one with me and it certainly served well!

Heres the link to the event for whatever reason. Thanks again for the gold!!! I may get a few more just for this occasion :lol:

:rolleyes::unsure:

Here is my crazy story:

June 12, 2006 by crazycavelover (123 found)

Found it with out any real problems. The weather was starting to look bad about the time we found the final cache spot. We decided to press on for Benham view and try to finish the series. Just as we found the first spot, The weather got really bad. We could see it coming on us very quickly. First we seen a huge black cloud in the distance and it was full of lighting. Next, we heard the sound of thunder. The thunder never stopped. I have never experienced this before. It sounded like two jet planes right above our heads. Then, the wind came. Tree limbs were falling and there was debris everywhere!!! After the wind started, I noticed what appeared to be a small white egg fall from the sky above me. I thought it blew out of a nest near by. But that was not the case. It was a large piece of hail!!! Just about that time I yell to my daughter to go back to the car as fast as posible. (Thanks goodness we were riding mountain bikes instead of walking and we were wearing helmets that were great for protection from hail.) It was to late!!! we were riding about 5 to 7 miles per hour but I believe the storm was going twice that speed or better. Next thing I know we are being pelted by golf ball sized hail!! I was wearing only a tee shirt and jeans, and I have many brusies on my arms and legs from the hail. My daughter, however, had a sweatshirt on and was protected a little better. We hid under large trees just long enough to take a few pictures. Then we again bolted for the truck. When we got the the parking lot, we met up with others who were caught in the freak storm. we all exchanged stories about were we where and what we did. It appears that my daughter and I were the worst hit. furthermore, the parking area was litter with tree limbs and debris. My black truck was now camoflaged.

What an exciting geocaching trip! I will be uploading pictures asap. TNLNSL.

I posted pictures of the hail. they are in my gallery. I didnt take pictures of the bruises... I thought they were ugly, LOL.

Here is the link.... Now I'm off to buy coins. I hope Its not too late for a gold.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

~CCL

Hi All:

Sorry about the extended silence. I've been traveling a lot for work and getting our home ready for sale. I'll be packaging all outstanding orders tonight and getting them into Wednesday's mail. I'm a one cacher operation, so it doesn't take much to trip up the shipping effort. Sorry about the delays.

Tasaint and Crazycavelover--you're on the list for gold. Coins may be ordered from the GeocacheAlaska! geocoin order page.

The hail story certainly ranks up there as one of the most unique ways to get injured while caching. There are still a few more gold coins up for grabs with a coin order, so please keep sharing your stories.

Mamid--your order was received.

Thanks, all, for your continued support!

I dont know if this one qualifies, but my husband and I went on a caching trip 350 km from home, and got struck down with food poisoning. We had to miss out on an event we had organised as well B)

http://cheesypigs.tasgeocaching.com/?p=50

and missing our own event:

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0405

I have ordered another coin, but if it has already been posted, I can order another one :angry:

Coolio! Thanks :ph34r:

Edited to say that Swampy will be getting his publicly presented to him at a large event on Saturday <_<

Be sure to take lots of photos!

Where are the photos??

(Hits self in head) I forgot my camera! :laughing::laughing: But Swampy said something along the lines of 'Paybacks are triple' <_<

He seems to like his coin though :anibad:

(Hits self in head) I forgot my camera! :laughing::laughing: But Swampy said something along the lines of 'Paybacks are triple' <_<

He seems to like his coin though :anibad:

I have received the coin. Everyone I've shown it to has asked "Why, What happened?"

I think it is a great coin - a keeper.

And I can vouch for the Pigs getting food poisoning - first of all, I was at their event when they didn't show, and secondly, I have seen the food establishment where they got the poisoning, and I wouldn't get anything from there anyway! <_< Much better place just down the road...

Thanks Ladybug Kids - that coin is great!!

Swampy

Really great coin! I just ordered one for myself (along with the mosquito once since I just got a 1/2" wlet from one caching half an hour ago).

My injury isn't documented and probably wouldn't count, but cross your fingers I'm not going to be looking like the coin image! Hubby (who did the logs yesterday) and I were out caching while waiting for out furbaby to get out of the vet yesterday. I slipped while caching. No biggie, right? It's just that I've had surgery on BOTH my knees in the last three years (last one was almost exactly one year ago). I probably should have checked with my doctor before starting caching (been at it 3 weeks). If the swelling and ache isn't gone by Monday, I get to go in on Tuesday for a checkup. Cross your fingers -- I am having waaaaay too much fun caching to have to give it up for something like a bad knee!

All orders received as of 1800 ADT this evening will go out in Tuesday's mail. Shipping delays have continued due to business travel and home sale preparation. We'll work on keeping to a Saturday shipping schedule from here on out except for the third week in July when we'll be following the moving van from Fairbanks to Anchorage.

Brumbjorn, your gold plus skeeter coin and pins will be packaged tonight.

Tasaint and Crazycavelover--you're still on the list for gold. Coins may be ordered from the GeocacheAlaska! geocoin order page. I'm down to the last few golds, so if you want them, get your orders in. Be sure to include your geonick in the PayPal comment box.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

I just found out about this thread and the special coins -- I will get my order out as soon as possible, as this geocoin certainly fits my medical state.

For what its worth, here is my story: On June 20th, I (Dominik1507) decided to tackle a tree-climbing cache near Hanau, which is about 5 stories above ground. After prusiking basically most of the way to the cache container, I was standing on a solid branch of the tree, and just wanted to clip into a sling I had placed a bit higher. I carelessly unclipped my belay first (thinking I had a very solid standing), and in the same second, I fell...

Since there was nothing holding me back anymore, I took the long jump all the way to the ground (which is about 12 meters of free falling), and crashed very hard on my back. After beeing able to breeth again, I made an emergency call via my cellphone, and after "walking" several hundred meters to the nearest road (to expedite the rescue process, I was in fear of severe internal injuries), was transported to hospital / emergency room. Computed tomography showed a total of 6 fractured vertebrae, and another 4 bruised ones. Fractures in one vertebra were so severe that it was not immediately clear whether there would be damage to the spinal nerves (see image).

Aua.jpg

Now, three weeks later, the pain has subsided, and although this will take some time to heal, it seems that I will be alright again and should not suffer permanent damage.

However, needless to say, I am still quite happy with the outcome, knowing that the fall could well have ended me up in a wheelchair, or in a coffin.

Needless also to say, I learned my lesson about belaying from this unneccessary mistake.

The story about the fall made it into the local newspapers, but they got basically everything wrong that could conceivably be misunderstood, and thereby invented the term "Geo-Climbing" for what they thought I was doing. The newspaper report can be found alongside my log entry on the cache page (unfortunately, it is in German):

Shorty I

Edited by Dominik1507

Well I, Snidly53, know I don't qualify for the gold, even though my sister, Frozen Buns, introduced me to geocaching while i was in a cast and on crutches with a broken leg (see my profile)... She was merciless making me find the caches for myself in tall grasses and rough terrain, but I'm tough and have been hooked ever since... So I just now, 7-20 @7:46p, ordered a nickel one and 5 pins to commemorate the events transpired since then... (I put the time and date on because paypal didn't allow me to add a note about who i am or my 'fun' email address)... Anyway, hope there are some left, they are quite nice looking and I like the reason these are being sold! (there will always be naysayers to be ignored)

T: the occasion for a fine coin and swag

L: with a smile and a good feeling about the reasoning behind the sales

Hard to be snide about a really good hide!!

TFTS(wag)

We finally competed the move from Fairbanks to Anchorage, got the desktop back up and running, and just came off a one-week long outage of phone/DSL.

All orders received as of this morning will ship today. Some folks posted injuries and ordered a gold after it was posted that the gold coins were all claimed. I will be sending those folks e-mails to see if they want their orders filled with the black nickel version of the coin.

GeocacheAlaska! still has Micromosquito and black nickel Cacher Needs Maintenance coins and pins available for shipment.

Sorry about the extended silence...didn't mean to drop out of sight for a full month. Caching and coining back on!!!

And here I was just going to see if I could get a Gold Coin. Of course I didnt get hurt as bad as others....

I had to rush home AND get a cache at the same time :cry:. So of course I rush to get a cache.

I arrived at the cache location and saw the cache right there in the open. So knowing I had to rush, I quickly went towards the cache, with my eyes on the cache. Bang! Down I went.

There was a big thick tree branch that came out of no where! Well, it *might* have been there but I was keeping my eye on the prize.

So after about 3 layers of skin coming off, and a little blood, I know have a big scar on my head.

I guess I now need some more black nickels! :cry:.