Mac and Legend Work Great w/ Mapsource

I'm new to geocaching and almost didn't buy a garmin based on all of the "I cant load maps" things I read here. However, I managed to get it to work with virtual pc (VPC) very easily. Uploaded east coast topo maps, waypoints, etc. via USB

Does everyone know that this now works?

I'm new to geocaching and almost didn't buy a garmin based on all of the "I cant load maps" things I read here. However, I managed to get it to work with virtual pc (VPC) very easily. Uploaded east coast topo maps, waypoints, etc. via USB

Does everyone know that this now works?

But is there a way to use staying Mac native?

I have a G5, so parallels or bootcamp are not options. I elected to try vpc, which everyone said wouldnt work, but was pleasently surprised that it did. Was hoping others could benefit if needed.

Hint: VPC in XP was unusably slow. However, with Win 2000, it is actually quite usable.

Edited by jpstewart19

I already tried VPC with my iMac Dv 400 (G3) and even with windows 2000, it's turtle slow. 15 min to boot. Also I'm stuck with 10.2.8, so I guess I'll have to manually enter my wapoints until I get a new mac.

Does Maccaching not work on anything less than tiger or panther? I am now using it to load waypoints more quickly (maccaching.com), and use VPC to upload new maps. I can only imagine VPC would be a total dog on a G3...ouch.

Really, you only need Mapsource if you want to load maps onto your garmin. Other than that, you should be able to use a tool like maccaching (waypoints) or MacGPSPro (waypoint and routes).

Thks.

James

Mac native solutions?

Depends what you want to do.

GPSBABEL is available for lots of platforms, including native Mac. Will let you exchange waypoints, routes, and tracks between just about any other program & format available.

GOOGLE EARTH is also available Mac native - and the Plus version ($20/yr subscription) includes the guts of GPSBabel for reading GPS data. Don't know WHAT Google was thinking on the implementation though - you can read waypoints, routes and tracks FROM the GPS, but not put them ONTO the GPS. Go figger.

There are other Mac native programs available, but the two amed above fill my particular needs -- so I haven't looked much further at other offerings.

Now, if you want to load street-details maps, to any GPS at all - you're stuck with the vendor's specific mapping application. NONE of Garmin's, Magellan's, or Lowrance's map packages are native Mac yet.

So for Mac users that means using VPC (on older, PPC based Macs) or Boot Camp or Parallels (on newer Intel based Macs). Tha entails the cost/complexity of buying (or the ethical problem of stealing) a copy of Win2k, XP, or Vista an contending with another operating system.

Edited by lee_rimar

Does Maccaching not work on anything less than tiger or panther? I am now using it to load waypoints more quickly (maccaching.com), and use VPC to upload new maps. I can only imagine VPC would be a total dog on a G3...ouch.

Really, you only need Mapsource if you want to load maps onto your garmin. Other than that, you should be able to use a tool like maccaching (waypoints) or MacGPSPro (waypoint and routes).

Thks.

James

Actually neither Maccaching or GPSBabel work with Jaguar. But I was said that new Cocoa versions should work. Also USB support is Panther or above.

Ah yeah about mapsource... I've got a Yellow 60, so no problem. :blink: