"gifts"

fairyhoney

I was wondering and maybe it's been a topic before. But when one leaves an unactivated coin in a random cache, how do you know who retrieved it? Especially if it is one of your own geotag? It would be nice who the new owner is :P

If you keep track of the coin code you can searchh for a coin by the coin code (not just the TB# that's assigned to it).

I was wondering and maybe it's been a topic before. But when one leaves an unactivated coin in a random cache, how do you know who retrieved it? Especially if it is one of your own geotag? It would be nice who the new owner is :P

If you keep track of the coin code you can searchh for a coin by the coin code (not just the TB# that's assigned to it).

Is there a way to do that?

I'm sorry but I was born a strawberry blonde :anicute:

Even if the coin is not activated. I would just watch the Cache listing. Maybe whoever gets the GeoTag would post it in there. I don't really know but maybe. Just a thought.

Edit to add: I would post it in the log sheet of the cache if I got a geocoin for a gift in it. Plus it's not saying whoever gets it would activate it. Or if they do it maybe a long time til then and you may give up checking by then.

Edited by GeoSmurfz

I keep track of all the tracking #s of the coins I've bought and traded. The ones I've dropped off as swag are so noted too so if I wanted to I can look'em up if they are ever activated and maybe watchlist them. The nice thing is that so far people who've found them have emailed me to either find out what to do next with 'em or just to say "Cheers".

There is not really a good way unless you control the activation code retrieval. Because I have control over the Hogwild Stuff Database, for awhile I was putting in XXXXXX for the tracking code, which would force people to email me. I would then ask where and how they got it. It was fun, but just fell out of the habit because I leave so many unactivated coins.

If I can get off my sick bed, I will leave some on Saturday and Sunday around geowoodstock.

Otherwise you can just keep the tracking numbers and go back and look them up.

I would say that when I go back at look at the logs I am supprised / disappointed how rarely people make note of taking the coin. I would say they do maybe 20% of the time.

Greets. When I picked up the Geo_Leprechaun coin in this cache (see link) I dropped off a unactivated "What was in your mailbox" coin. The next finder picked it up went to log it to see where it was to travel next, and notated the log in surprise as to finding the unactivated coin I dropped.

This party also posted that since he did not trade accordingly that he would leave it in another location for another party. I did make contact to state that the coin may be kept. The responce was to the effect that this cacher was planning a new puzzle cache to come, and it will be a prize for the FTF. I could not have asked for more.

EDIT:: to add that, I noted the drop of the unactivated coin in the cache log, and also at the tme of drop on the cache page, and had the cache on my watch list. I will continue to do the same notation to future coins dropped and hope for the best. most cachers are honest. I have been quite fortunate with all of my travelers as well.

This Cache

Edited by glennk721

But if it is unactivated, how would you know what logs to watch. I imagine there is only 1 activation code for the geotags and therefore, one won't need to e-mail the confirm.

If you watch the cache logs, one of the next few finders is "The One" Some of them will even say they found it.

Beyond that you can see if they have activated it by checking the coin like a TB every now and then.

It's really a matter of how much work you wish to put into watching your gifts go forth and be enjoyed.

I put a note in with all the ones that I have dropped. Mostly as 1st or even 2nd to find prizes. If they have a note in the flip, you cant go wrong.

I also have thought of Jay Mills method and think that would work well...Also would make them have to contact you, so it wouldnt just be a free coin in the cache for them, it would be more personal.

I just left a coin for a friend at the cache we were visiting, at first we couldnt find it, then I found it right on the ground. While he was lookin for it, I managed to grab it and slip a HAM radio coin in it (hes a HAM radio dude) When he finally found it and saw the coin, he said "OOOH check this one...I know exactly where this one is goin. Little did he know that it wasnt even active! He tried to grab it and noticed that it wasnt activated.

Its now in his name and I dont think he has went back to log into the cache that he found it unactivated yet (hes still new, and that boy needs some learnin!) and still doesnt know I dropped it.

SPEAKING OF GIFTS!!!!!!!

My Girlfriend (Sweetpea) Just called me in the middle of this reply and has told me that she just got back from her Dr. and guess what?......Yep A little Geo-Bun in the oven!!!! :anicute::tired::huh: ...My first one!!!~HOLY COW!!!

I havent got to tell anyone yet!!!...You guys are the first!...Talk about a gift~How in the heck do I trade even for this one?...OH Yeah, there will be 18 years of Trades made till im even with this one! :sad: JK...I am throughly thrilled! :P...WISH ME LUCK!

SPEAKING OF GIFTS!!!!!!!

My Girlfriend (Sweetpea) Just called me in the middle of this reply and has told me that she just got back from her Dr. and guess what?......Yep A little Geo-Bun in the oven!!!! :tired::huh::( ...My first one!!!~HOLY COW!!!

I havent got to tell anyone yet!!!...You guys are the first!...Talk about a gift~How in the heck do I trade even for this one?...OH Yeah, there will be 18 years of Trades made till im even with this one! :sad: JK...I am throughly thrilled! :P...WISH ME LUCK!

CONGRATZ D!! :anicute:

SPEAKING OF GIFTS!!!!!!!

My Girlfriend (Sweetpea) Just called me in the middle of this reply and has told me that she just got back from her Dr. and guess what?......Yep A little Geo-Bun in the oven!!!! :anicute::tired::huh: ...My first one!!!~HOLY COW!!!

Congrats 007.

SPEAKING OF GIFTS!!!!!!!

My Girlfriend (Sweetpea) Just called me in the middle of this reply and has told me that she just got back from her Dr. and guess what?......Yep A little Geo-Bun in the oven!!!! :huh::(;) ...My first one!!!~HOLY COW!!!

I havent got to tell anyone yet!!!...You guys are the first!...Talk about a gift~How in the heck do I trade even for this one?...OH Yeah, there will be 18 years of Trades made till im even with this one! :anicute: JK...I am throughly thrilled! :P...WISH ME LUCK!

Get some sleep now :tired:;):P:P You won't have any in 9 months :sad: congrats !!

Thanks guys! It really means alot to have friends like the ones I have made hear!

Sorry to go off topic Faihoney, But it was a GIFT indeed to get this call...SO I had to log it, of course! :huh:

Even though I am still awaiting the activation code, I know my FTF prize is on its way! :(:P:anicute:

Thanks again everyone...I gotta get some good sleep for the next 9 months :tired::sad:;) ...and thats comin from experience!...YOU GUYS ROCK!

I put a note in with all the ones that I have dropped. Mostly as 1st or even 2nd to find prizes. If they have a note in the flip, you cant go wrong.

I also have thought of Jay Mills method and think that would work well...Also would make them have to contact you, so it wouldnt just be a free coin in the cache for them, it would be more personal.

I just left a coin for a friend at the cache we were visiting, at first we couldnt find it, then I found it right on the ground. While he was lookin for it, I managed to grab it and slip a HAM radio coin in it (hes a HAM radio dude) When he finally found it and saw the coin, he said "OOOH check this one...I know exactly where this one is goin. Little did he know that it wasnt even active! He tried to grab it and noticed that it wasnt activated.

Its now in his name and I dont think he has went back to log into the cache that he found it unactivated yet (hes still new, and that boy needs some learnin!) and still doesnt know I dropped it.

SPEAKING OF GIFTS!!!!!!!

My Girlfriend (Sweetpea) Just called me in the middle of this reply and has told me that she just got back from her Dr. and guess what?......Yep A little Geo-Bun in the oven!!!! :P:tired::sad: ...My first one!!!~HOLY COW!!!

I havent got to tell anyone yet!!!...You guys are the first!...Talk about a gift~How in the heck do I trade even for this one?...OH Yeah, there will be 18 years of Trades made till im even with this one! :( JK...I am throughly thrilled! :huh:...WISH ME LUCK!

Congrat's 007! May he/she be healthy and may everything go smoothly. Guess you'll be packing some extra weight while caching in about 9 months :anicute:

tsun ;)

Congrat's 007! May he/she be healthy and may everything go smoothly. Guess you'll be packing some extra weight while caching in about 9 months :P

tsun :tired:

Yep...I already told her that we gotta get one of those cool little baby backpacks, to tote the little GeoPrize around in!...She just laughed~I was serious :sad::huh::anicute:

Headed North to see her right now...Shes got a Taiko drumming performance tomorrow, so it should be...as GlennK says..."A Good weekend ahead!"

Thanks again...I LOVE YOU GUYS!

SPEAKING OF GIFTS!!!!!!!

My Girlfriend (Sweetpea) Just called me in the middle of this reply and has told me that she just got back from her Dr. and guess what?......Yep A little Geo-Bun in the oven!!!! ...My first one!!!~HOLY COW!!!

I havent got to tell anyone yet!!!...You guys are the first!...Talk about a gift~How in the heck do I trade even for this one?...OH Yeah, there will be 18 years of Trades made till im even with this one! JK...I am throughly thrilled! ...WISH ME LUCK!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Congrat's 007! May he/she be healthy and may everything go smoothly. Guess you'll be packing some extra weight while caching in about 9 months :P

tsun :(

Yep...I already told her that we gotta get one of those cool little baby backpacks, to tote the little GeoPrize around in!...She just laughed~I was serious :P:rolleyes::P

Headed North to see her right now...Shes got a Taiko drumming performance tomorrow, so it should be...as GlennK says..."A Good weekend ahead!"

Thanks again...I LOVE YOU GUYS!

That's terrific news. No, I don't mind because children and grandchildren ARE gifts ;) . By the way, I hope you put a TB dog tag or trackable coin on that carrier so one can "Discover" your gem :D

I was wondering and maybe it's been a topic before. But when one leaves an unactivated coin in a random cache, how do you know who retrieved it? Especially if it is one of your own geotag? It would be nice who the new owner is :rolleyes:

Of all the unactivated coins I have left in caches - probably about 15 or so - I have never seen a post from someone saying they picked it up. I've kept copies of the tracking numbers to see if they were activated - not one has been. I've also sent several out to new cachers as "welcome to the game" gifts. Not a word as to whether or not they ever received them.

I was wondering and maybe it's been a topic before. But when one leaves an unactivated coin in a random cache, how do you know who retrieved it? Especially if it is one of your own geotag? It would be nice who the new owner is :)

Of all the unactivated coins I have left in caches - probably about 15 or so - I have never seen a post from someone saying they picked it up. I've kept copies of the tracking numbers to see if they were activated - not one has been. I've also sent several out to new cachers as "welcome to the game" gifts. Not a word as to whether or not they ever received them.

Ive had that problem a few times, Just as you say...either a welcome gift or a find prize...But mostly they acknowledge it and thank me, either through email or in the log. You just gotta add a note is all.

Maybe try Jay Mills method- Activate it and then adopt it out...I think Im gonna try it next time just to see what happens...Then at least you will know it is activated.

Ill try to dig up several logs of the coins I have given away and post em. I have about 7-8 that have not been found yet. 4 of them are Bikedog and 1 Motogrrl coins in my Bikedog cache...Come and get em!-I have asked that they be activated is my only wish...oh and to travel.

I activate them and put them up for adoption also. I am not to concerned if they get traded even or not, I leave them for the enjoyment of the people finding them.

I dropped over 50 on my recent trip to GW5, and have all ready had 7 adoption requests. Every cache I visit that will hold a coin, gets an adoptable coin.

Here is a link to how I set mine up.

ADOPT A COIN

Edited by prntr1

I used to try to keep track of who finds them by adding the caches to my watch list and hope someone mentions it. After a while it just became too much for me to keep up with. Now I rarely even think about them after I drop them. I have gotten emails in the past form folks that find my coins and thank me for leaving them, and that's always nice to see, but usually I never know where they go.

I've probably left 40-50 coins in caches, the majority of them unactivated. I used to just drop them in thee, but what I do now is print a card (1/2 of a business card) and stick it in the coin flip. It says "This coin is an unactivated trade item, if you have found it, it is yours to keep, but please remember to trade even or up. -rasj" That way they automatically know it's not an activated coin and they shoud leave something behind if they take it.

Hey 007BigD- another person off track with the discussion, but hey, I had to add my congratulations, also.

Children are gems, but believe me, Glenn was right. . .your sleeping nights are numbered. Good luck to you and Sweetpea! :D