Backpacks

Finding a backpack that works well for me has been the bane of my existence for a considerable amt of time...

The biggest problem has been that when I have had my pack on, full and am hiking, the friction from the pack against my clothing/skin has rubbed the skin off of my spine on the lower part of my back.

As you might imagine, it makes the hike pretty uncomfortable.

Moving on, it seems I've cured that problem by purchasing a pack that has bent frame stays and a mesh back, keeping the lions share of the pressure off of my sticking-out-spine. An added bonus is that my water bladder fits between the mesh and the stays making it usable space.

The problem now seems to be that after an extended period of time the back-ward pressure from the shoulder straps tenderizes, and bruises my clavicle. It's a 'front' injury and not on top of my shoulder... and, I suspect, due to how the bones protrude.

I've joked about procuring some 'sheepskin' seatbelt comfort measures... and then joked about how wonderful they'd smell after a nice 4 hour downpour. Kind of like wet-dog.

And there is always the great suggestion to, 'eat more', because we know how well fat works as padding, right?

In all seriousness, the pack does fit very well and is comfortable to carry for an extended amount of (continuous) time. It's when I take it off, and then keep it off for an extended amount of time (overnight, for instance) putting it back on to carry is brutally painful because of the pressure point pain from the previous day.

My question: should I continue to look for a different pack?

It seems there is always going to be back-ward pressure from the pack on the bones as it sits tight to the back and front of my shoulders, keeping it from sitting directly on my shoulders.

(Yes, I know about being fitted at REI... been there, done that. The pack fits well. This isn't something that can really be solved by being fitted 'properly' at that point in time because it doesn't show up until I've been carrying over a lengthy time period.)

michelle

The pack sounds like it fits well, but is it properly adjusted? I'm sure you know that those aren't necessarily the same thing. A pack can fit the contour of your body fine, but the straps need to be properly adjusted to stop excess movement and transfer the weight to the proper areas of your body's frame. I've always found that if my shoulder and chest straps are snug enough to not let the pack slip but move with me and the hip belt is tight enough to transfer the load to my hips, I have a pretty comfortable hike. That may not be the same for you.

How do you put your pack on and adjust the points? I usually get mine over my shoulders, pull the load lifters a bit, adjust my hip belt, pull the load-lifters up, fasten the chest strap, then shake it around a bit to see what slips and tune it from there if needed.

You could probably find some other padding material for the straps, but I think they would still crush over time and you'd be back where you started unless they were air or some type of gel like a bike seat.

Have you tried different pack designs - internal vs. external frame? Mens vs. womens?

Moving on, it seems I've cured that problem by purchasing a pack that has bent frame stays and a mesh back, keeping the lions share of the pressure off of my sticking-out-spine. An added bonus is that my water bladder fits between the mesh and the stays making it usable space.

The problem now seems to be that after an extended period of time the back-ward pressure from the shoulder straps tenderizes, and bruises my clavicle. It's a 'front' injury and not on top of my shoulder... and, I suspect, due to how the bones protrude.

I've joked about procuring some 'sheepskin' seatbelt comfort measures... and then joked about how wonderful they'd smell after a nice 4 hour downpour. Kind of like wet-dog.

michelle

Crud! I didn't want to hear that. When I got fitted for the men's version of yours I had to go up the the large size since I could tell the straps were going to be a problem. But I liked the frame enough to buy it anyway. I also am considering adding additional padding but am waiting until I get a chance to actually hike with it first.

I'm only a day hiker. The packs I've used all suck. Some are better than others, but even those had issues. I've learned to adjust the packs such that the problem moves around and never bothers more than one spot for very log.

Yeah, not much of a solution, but since perfection is elusive, it works in the meantime.

Crud! I didn't want to hear that. When I got fitted for the men's version of yours I had to go up the the large size since I could tell the straps were going to be a problem. But I liked the frame enough to buy it anyway. I also am considering adding additional padding but am waiting until I get a chance to actually hike with it first.

Right... the frame is great! Love it.

I believe the pack fits very well (aside from the clavicle pressure issue), and does just what I need it to do, especially in that particular area.

I need to add a couple of things to the straps, Mark - something to attach the GPS to (I miss the M.O.L.L.E attachments on my daypack) and, apparently, as ATMouse mentioned, some additional padding.

I have previously had the hip/hamburger issue, ATMouse (carrying a 20-30 pound kid on my back necessitates a pack with a good hipbelt too!). I did a fair amount of searching to find a product that worked in that particular application as well. This particular pack fairs well for me in that regard.

And, as suggested above, I _do_ have it adjusted properly (altho the last hike, which resulted in the most pain afterward, was one of those where I was out in the pouring rain for hours on end and had extra clothes/raingear on which may also have contributed to the extremeness of the problem.

It's hard to explain where/why it hurts, I think. There's no slop in the pack, it sits tight and does NOT move as it would if it were being worn improperly.

My suspicion is that I need more padding on the straps because the bone structure creates an awkward pressure point that can't be avoided. I am not sure any other pack would, necessarily, be any better.

Thank y'all for your suggestions, and Marcus... get out and let me know how it works out for you! I'm probably going to take mine out again this weekend, full, even though we're only daytripping it, just to see if I can work on the fit a little more. Hopefully with a little less clothing this go-round.

I enjoy the pack in every other regard, altho, I was looking at the 65 last weekend and am slightly envious of the sleeping bag zip section on the bottom of that one. However, I am not envious enough to take mine back for that reason alone!

michelle

Right... the frame is great! Love it.

I believe the pack fits very well (aside from the clavicle pressure issue), and does just what I need it to do, especially in that particular area.

I need to add a couple of things to the straps, Mark - something to attach the GPS to (I miss the M.O.L.L.E attachments on my daypack) and, apparently, as ATMouse mentioned, some additional padding.

I have previously had the hip/hamburger issue, ATMouse (carrying a 20-30 pound kid on my back necessitates a pack with a good hipbelt too!). I did a fair amount of searching to find a product that worked in that particular application as well. This particular pack fairs well for me in that regard.

And, as suggested above, I _do_ have it adjusted properly (altho the last hike, which resulted in the most pain afterward, was one of those where I was out in the pouring rain for hours on end and had extra clothes/raingear on which may also have contributed to the extremeness of the problem.

It's hard to explain where/why it hurts, I think. There's no slop in the pack, it sits tight and does NOT move as it would if it were being worn improperly.

My suspicion is that I need more padding on the straps because the bone structure creates an awkward pressure point that can't be avoided. I am not sure any other pack would, necessarily, be any better.

Thank y'all for your suggestions, and Marcus... get out and let me know how it works out for you! I'm probably going to take mine out again this weekend, full, even though we're only daytripping it, just to see if I can work on the fit a little more. Hopefully with a little less clothing this go-round.

I enjoy the pack in every other regard, altho, I was looking at the 65 last weekend and am slightly envious of the sleeping bag zip section on the bottom of that one. However, I am not envious enough to take mine back for that reason alone!

michelle

Memory foam comes to mind. Remember my back problems with sleeping? We got a 3 inch memory foam pad and now I sleep like a baby. Yah, I still wake up for my 2AM feeding. :P

Edited by TotemLake

...My suspicion is that I need more padding on the straps because the bone structure creates an awkward pressure point that can't be avoided. I am not sure any other pack would, necessarily, be any better....

This is a different application but similar problem. My wife and my son both have a bump on their ankle that drives them nuts when they wear hiking shoes. They use mole skin with a hole in it and press it around the bump. That moves the pressure point to the area around the bump and leaves the bump free. That works for them.

For you the simpler solution would be to keep the hip/back arrangemenet that works and adjust padding on your straps to distribute the pressure in the areas other than the pressure point. yeah, you may have to wash that sheep skin or whatever every now and then, but I suspect with some tweaking you can get this to work fairly well.

Memory foam comes to mind. Remember my back problems with sleeping? We got a 3 inch memory foam pad and now I sleep like a baby. Yah, I still wake up for my 2AM feeding. :tired:

Those 2AM feedings are the best. :sad:

That said, MEMORY FOAM!!!

You're (potentially) brilliant! :P

We have a memory foam mattress at home and, oh, a large number of months back I ordered something for that mattress from the manufacturers website. Well, now I can't get them to stop sending me advertisements to buy a mattress... excuse me, but if I didn't have one, I wouldn't have needed to order what I did (they're not real smart... but they're making hella good money!)

However, they send out 'samples' of the mattress composition right off the bat hoping to hook, line, and sinker ya.

What I need to do is get them to send me another 'sample' and then try to cannibalize that.

EXCELLENT suggestion!!!

-=-

Now that I've said that, I noticed you bought a different camp mattress, recently. Do tell. I suspect that I need to do two things:

1) I need a REAL two-man tent (not two midgets, not two people my size). Currently, two thermarest prolite-4's (one mens, one womens) won't fit side-by-side even if the heads are places on opposite ends. I'm looking at a Big Agnes 3 man which is approx. the same weight as my two-man.

and

2) I think the thermarest won't be sufficient to keep some substantial back-pain at bay. (Hence the need for the memory foam mattress at home.) My belief is that it's going to make for any number of miserable-day-2 scenarios

but

3) Then I'll need an even wider tent to fit one pad that's a little more substantial, and a midget woman's prolite. (See #1.)

:anicute:

Do you think your Hubba Hubba would fit two of the mattress pads you have, side-by-side, TL?

Thanks!

Edited by CurmudgeonlyGal

Do you think your Hubba Hubba would fit two of the mattress pads you have, side-by-side, TL?

Thanks!

I'll let you know after Sunday. :P If not, then certainly the Hubba Hubba Hubba could do it. There is a significant weight penalty for going to the REI pad. It's easily double the Thermarest 4 equivalent size.

This thread just caught my eye, so I read it... (like that isn't obvious, eh)...

I've got some experience with backpacks/rucksacks... The key is, really, not with the shoulder straps or where they ride, it is in the hipbelt. You should have the majority of the weight solidly on the hips. Start there and then adjust from that point. I've spent many a day with a ruck that did not have a hipbelt, the difference, once you get the adjustment correct, is tremendous...

Just a thought...

Thanks!

I'll let you know after Sunday. :anibad: If not, then certainly the Hubba Hubba Hubba could do it. There is a significant weight penalty for going to the REI pad. It's easily double the Thermarest 4 equivalent size.

... The weight doesn't matter... I won't be carrying it.

:anicute::anicute::unsure:

Thanks!

I'll let you know after Sunday. :anicute: If not, then certainly the Hubba Hubba Hubba could do it. There is a significant weight penalty for going to the REI pad. It's easily double the Thermarest 4 equivalent size.

:unsure::anicute::anibad:

Campout was a washout. A local creek overflowed and changed course forcing the road to be closed as it tries to washout the road. We were stopped with a couple of miles left on the pavement and we didn't feel like hiking on the road with backpacks.

Thanks!

I'll let you know after Sunday. :unsure: If not, then certainly the Hubba Hubba Hubba could do it. There is a significant weight penalty for going to the REI pad. It's easily double the Thermarest 4 equivalent size.

:anicute::anibad::anicute:

Campout was a washout. A local creek overflowed and changed course forcing the road to be closed as it tries to washout the road. We were stopped with a couple of miles left on the pavement and we didn't feel like hiking on the road with backpacks.

Yah... I noticed you were back posting this morning. Something wasn't quite right with that.

Sorry to hear about the trouble there.

We hiked in the Olympics yesterday near the Mt. Townsend trail. Perfect day weather all-round ... I was super not-feeling-well so we turned back before we made it to our destination. Kids were ok with that tho... all they wanted to do was EAT.

Thanks!

I'll let you know after Sunday. :unsure: If not, then certainly the Hubba Hubba Hubba could do it. There is a significant weight penalty for going to the REI pad. It's easily double the Thermarest 4 equivalent size.

:anibad::anicute::anicute:

But TL, you left out the best part!

Landrover, with the pressure on, found a fantastic pub in Monroe. A few phone calls got Pye and Alanon to meet us all there for beer and terrific eats. Hey, who’s that? Well, fancy meeting you here MissJenn! Geocachers dominated the pub. Somebody took a picture or two if I’m not mistaken.

1) I need a REAL two-man tent (not two midgets, not two people my size). Currently, two thermarest prolite-4's (one mens, one womens) won't fit side-by-side even if the heads are places on opposite ends. I'm looking at a Big Agnes 3 man which is approx. the same weight as my two-man.

Check out the Sierra Designs Sirius 3. It's very tight for 3 people, but fine for two and it weighs in under 5 lbs. I like that it has two doors so you aren't crawling over each other to get out.

Some other ideas in addition to the Hubba Hubba:

Marmot Twilight 2

Mountainsmith Guardian

2) I think the thermarest won't be sufficient to keep some substantial back-pain at bay. (Hence the need for the memory foam mattress at home.) My belief is that it's going to make for any number of miserable-day-2 scenarios

My wife has back problems and I got her a ThermaRest Women's Trail Comfort, which is thicker than the regular Thermarests. She used it once and said her back felt a lot better in the morning. I read elswhere that the Big Agnes Air Core pads are great for people with bad backs. If that Thermarest doesn't do the job for my wife, the Big Agnes is next .

I don't know what kind of backpack you have, but I have a Mountainsmith Approach 2 for women. It has a frame and I find it very comfortable on longer hikes, and I carry up to 30 -35 pounds at times. Im not slim built, but am not fat and can toss 45 pounds across a room! I guess it can depend on your upper body and back strength, what you can carry and what is comfortable for you. :sunsure:

michelle

Well I finally got a chance to test out my Osprey Atmos 50. I was only doing a day trip over Rattlesnake ridge (about 11 miles) but I loaded up all my gear (tent, bag, stove, filter, etc) to get a realistic idea of how it was going to work out. I wore a very light T-shirt under the pack.

It was good news, the wide stiff belt held the weight well and didn't shift around at all. Although the belt pockets are not as easy to use as they seem in the store it was a good spot for the camera and cell phone (it was off). I really liked not having to take the pack off to get to the camera. I did have to take it off to get to my swag and PDA but there was no cold sweat shock at all when putting it back on.

I did get a little shoulder ache towards the end of the hike but no abrasions to speak of from the shoulder straps. I used belt clips to hook the GPS and FRS to the chest strap, that was not very fasionable but was very functional.

I hung the bladder in the mesh cavity. One thing I noticed is that with a bag in the pack and the bladder full it pressed into the mesh so it sat against my back. I did not feel it during the trip and I don't know if that is a plus or minus. Some ice cubes in the bladder on a hot day might make it a plus.

The frame restricted the bore of the pack in the middle so I put the Jetboil and a couple of other things in the bottom where it was wider. I was able to get the bag and tent in with a little effort.

So overall it worked out very well. No sore back or shoulders this morning from the pack. But the legs and knees sure knew I was carrying an extra 25 pounds up the mountain.

:anitongue:

Edited by MarcusArelius

Sounds to me you don't have your shoulder straps quite right. The length of the backframe should take the anchor point of the shoulder strap above the line of your shoulder.

So lengthen the frame to the longest length. Put on your pack(with weight) with shoulders loosened. Tighten your waist belt so the weight is all on your hips. Stand side on to a mirror and see if your shoulder straps anchor is above your shoulder line. If so adjust them down to the very top of the shoulder line and then tighten the straps bringing the pack into your back. If the anchor point of your shoulder straps cannot adjust above your shoulder line then get a longer frame. The shoulder straps are mainly used to pull the weight in not hold up.

On about a 15 kilo(30 lb) pack weight the shoulders should only take a maximum of about 3 lb of the total weight and that mainly when you lean forward ie on hills.

Lastly. On known pressure points there is an open non weave tape used for blister control that you can tape across the pressure areas. Apply before you wear the skin through. The best way to find these is to walk for a short distance. Stop and take off pack and shirt. Any red areas are then taped. I haven't got the brand of the tape but I don't know whether an Australian brand name would help. The tape should also be applied to feet. Works a dream. On longer hikes I have applied tape and its lasted 4-5 days.

I found the tape. Here in Australia it is Elastoplast Sport Elastowrap. It comes in 10 metre rolls. The blurb says

"Made from stretchable non-woven fabric with a hypoallergenic adhesive (This construction allows for the evaporation of perspiration). Use as an underwrap for regular taping of sensitive skin. Use prior to knee and shoulder taping. Treatment of minor burns and to help prevent blisters"

The company is owned by Johnson and Johnson so I asume it should be available anywhere.

Edited to add brand

Edited by BelKen

I found the tape. Here in Australia it is Elastoplast Sport Elastowrap. It comes in 10 metre rolls. The blurb says

"Made from stretchable non-woven fabric with a hypoallergenic adhesive (This construction allows for the evaporation of perspiration). Use as an underwrap for regular taping of sensitive skin. Use prior to knee and shoulder taping. Treatment of minor burns and to help prevent blisters"

The company is owned by Johnson and Johnson so I asume it should be available anywhere.

Edited to add brand

REI carries it or something similar. I bought some for my first aid pack as it is self adhesive to the skin and suppposed to be better than band-aids.

I would do a couple of things. One important thing I have learned is to ALWAYS get multiple opinions on pack fit. My first pack was fit by someone who supposedly knew what he was talking about, but out on the trail, it didn't hold true. For my next pack, I got multiple opinions before I settled on one (coincidentally, the Osprey Atmos 50).

When putting the pack on, there's actually a proper sequence of strap adjustments to make sure you get everything adjusted correctly. First, loosen all the straps (hip, shoulder, sternum, load lifter). Put the pack on, then adjust the hip belt first. Make sure the hip belt is exactly where it needs to be, and that your hips are carrying the weight. Then tighten the shoulder straps. Snug, but not too tight. You want to be able to move a bit under there so they don't squish you. Then adjust the sternum strap to pull the shoulder straps inward. Finding a sweet spot for your particular shoulders might help a TON with the clavicle pressure point. Finally, you want to adjust the load lifters. Find a spot that's comfy now. I usually adjust mine every few hours on the trail, anyway.

Also, you might want to consider your wardrobe as a possible source for problems. I have to be VERY choosy about the pants, belt, and underwear that I wear with my pack. If the sum of the waistbelts is too thick, I get really nasty bruises on my hip bones. I also tent to try to let my pants ride just a shade bit lower than usual to attempt to avoid the main part of the hip belt altogether.

Finally, there's some degree of 'toughening up' you'll have to tolerate. You've gotta realize that your body's not used to carrying 20, 30, or 40lbs on your back, with that weight focused on your hips and shoulders. The more you carry a heavy pack, the more your body will basically get used to it and it will bother you less. Folks training for a long hike start with light weights and work their way up for a reason...so they can get accustomed to carrying that pack. That training really helps eliminate troubles.

CG,

I can sympathize with you on this one! Being a female and finding a pack that works well for my shape was a pain the arse! I'm pretty muscular up top and have zippo for hips, lol. I think I've gone through 10 different packs, external and internal. I finally found one that worked for me, the Kelty Haiku 3,000 women's backpack. Thank goodness! Not saying this one would work for you.....

great suggestion from posters here, for any future problems. I know when I first started backpacking, my biggest problem was loading my pack wrong but way back then, I didn't know any better.

The only other option to having no problems at all is a horse or mule :o That is my preferred method! :ph34r:

tsun

Also try posting your particular problem (or searching for any previous posts) on Backpacker.com's website. If you're getting any bruising in the clavicles it definitely sounds like you're not adjusted correctly. I had a similar problem until I was run through the process a few times by a more experienced hiker. I also found that adjusting the upper cross strap made a big difference as well. My wife could barely carry 10-12 pounds for any distance initially using ill fitting packs, but can now carry 35 easy in a "women's" pack when it's adjusted well. The key again was adjustment and packing the items correctly by weight.

Consider trying an "old-school" external frame pack. The shape of the frame in profile should be an elongated "S" to match the contour of your back. A decent external frame allows for a lot of adjustment. The webbing holds the pack away from your back, keeping things cool and dry.

The internal frame packs have come to dominate the market, but adjustment often limited to the shoulder and waist straps. The pack bears directly against the body -- sweaty on hot humid days with a chance of chafing and bruising. Internal frame packs are very sensitive to packing, since the gear creates a lot of the structure.

External frame packs seem to be getting hard to find, which is a shame, since properly fit and packed (heavy stuff up high and close to the back), they work really well. They used to be the old game in town (internal frame packs were exclusively for mountaineering) and I think folks got fed up with the proliferation of some horrible products.

Whether internal frame or external frame, the hip belt is critical. Jansport "back in the day" had a an extension of the frame that wrapped around and cradled your hips. Can't say it did anything for me, but the women who owned them really liked them.

When buying, bring all your gear and insist that the store allow you to pack up , have somebody adjust it properly, and then carry it around the store (a place like REI is usually cool with this).

Internal frame packs are very sensitive to packing, since the gear creates a lot of the structure.

Not really, not if you buy a quality one. Its more a case of packing properly for the same reason as with an external frame pack - to achieve a well balanced load, which is more biomechanically efficient to carry.

Here in the UK it is possible to buy specialised women's rucksacks in various sizes. This is a good one.

In my experience, external frame rucksacks are very uncomfortable compared to internal and the whole 'sweating less with a frame pack' mythos owes more to marketing and urban myth than to reality... after all, the gap is minimal and is hardly a 'wind trap'.

If a pack is properly adjusted, it shouldn't rub.

When buying, bring all your gear and insist that the store allow you to pack up , have somebody adjust it properly, and then carry it around the store (a place like REI is usually cool with this).

As a matter of fact, REI has weighted sand bags to simulate your gear for you and will adjust the bag you're interested in with the weights inside.

Internal frame packs are very sensitive to packing, since the gear creates a lot of the structure.

Not really, not if you buy a quality one. Its more a case of packing properly for the same reason as with an external frame pack - to achieve a well balanced load, which is more biomechanically efficient to carry.

Here in the UK it is possible to buy specialised women's rucksacks in various sizes. This is a good one.

In my experience, external frame rucksacks are very uncomfortable compared to internal and the whole 'sweating less with a frame pack' mythos owes more to marketing and urban myth than to reality... after all, the gap is minimal and is hardly a 'wind trap'.

If a pack is properly adjusted, it shouldn't rub.

I much prefer internal frame packs (I find them to be far more comfortable), but you do need to pay more attention to packing. First, the load should be balanced differently than with a frame pack. The heaviest weights in a frame pack go a bit higher than they do with an internal frame.

You also have to be careful that there are no hard things protruding from the back. If your stove is jutting out in your internal frame pack, it's going to jab you in the back. Not really a concern with a frame pack because it rides away from your body.

And because the contents create much of the structure of the pack you not only have to think about weight balance, but volume as well.

As a matter of fact, REI has weighted sand bags to simulate your gear for you and will adjust the bag you're interested in with the weights inside.

Any outdoors store worth its salt will have sandbags of a variety of sizes and weights for testing. If they don't find another store.

Ok sounds like you picked up an osprey backpack, perhaps an aura 50 or 65, nice pack although it does not have enough support in the belt, the belt is not supported by a stiff materal like plastic or something (I work for the store mentioned above and fit packs every day, I think you need the gregory deva 60 its the queen of comfort and was picked along with its brother the baltoro in backpacker magazines gear guide as the best all around pack, I sell it 10 to 1 over the other packs the padding on that pack should do the trick I haven't been wrong in the whole 2 and a half years I've been doing this.

I hope this helps if I can help at all just shoot me an email through the G C site, my name is Todd or team sixgun on G C.

Wow Michelle, suonds like a headache!....no pun.....first place to start I guess is fit, if you haven't done so I'd go to a reputable store (I like REI, but there are many outdoor companies and local shops that have expertise in backpacking issues) and check fit of your pack. If you're clearly wearing a pack that doesn't fit, a new pack might be in order (now, I say tongue in cheek, because I'm on a slave's budget and can't afford to replace every mistake I make, so I'm an expert jury-rigger....). If you have some bone protrusions that are abnormal, the right fit plus some additional adjustments may be in order. Some packs fit the pack and hip belt separately, that could be a place to start. You can add padding as well. If you can determine what changes need to be made to your shoulder straps, you can add/trim those straps yourself or have a commercial sewer do it. Don't feel constrained to the way the pack is, but don't guess at what you need - work with an expert and make sure you have the right size pack first. Finally, internal frames have the benefit of being able to bend the stays, this might be an essential for you; external frames, though, take the load away from your back entirely which may be what you need. Bottom line, seek knowledge, then feel free to cut, trim, stretch, sew, pad to your heart's delight until you find a fix.

It almost sounds like the hip belt is not fitted properly, it shoud be resting on top of your hip bone, this will keep most of the weight on your legs and not on your back and shoulders. There should be a way move the hip belt up or down.

What pack do you have?

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Osprey has a new backpack out now that gets heat molded to your back. This may be the ticket for those hard to fit body frames. REI's website.

Osprey has had heat-molded hipbelts for quite awhile now... will have to look into the heat-molded back thing. Quite frankly, it's as good a reason as any to head to Seattle.

Altho, if my knee never, ever gets better, I may become one of those people who likes to talk about backpacking... but never gets to go.

:ph34r:

m

In all seriousness, the pack does fit very well and is comfortable to carry for an extended amount of (continuous) time. It's when I take it off, and then keep it off for an extended amount of time (overnight, for instance) putting it back on to carry is brutally painful because of the pressure point pain from the previous day.

My question: should I continue to look for a different pack?

It seems there is always going to be back-ward pressure from the pack on the bones as it sits tight to the back and front of my shoulders, keeping it from sitting directly on my shoulders.

Well, here are a few thoughts.

How much are you carrying? An old (VERY old) rule of thumb was no more than 25% of your body weight. Sometimes that's not practical, of course, but some of what you're experiencing may well be the weight of the load.

If you're getting pressure in the back near the spine, have you ever tried an external frame pack? They're tougher to find these days, but with an external frame, the pack sits further away from your back. (It also allows a lot more ventilation on a really hot day.) Definitely try before you buy, though, because they take a lot of getting used to if all you've used are internal frames.

How are you packing the weight? We have a tendency to put our frequently used items near the top, but we should really be putting the heavier items near the top. Try adjusting HOW you pack and see if that makes a difference.

Is the pack balanced? Once you put it on, check it in a mirror or have your hiking partner check it for you. A pack that is leaning to one side, or one that leans backwards will put quite a strain on you, and you'll definitely end up with those tender spots you mentioned.

Is the weight of the pack sitting on your hips? If you can feel the weight of the pack in your shoulders, then it needs to be readjusted. The full weight of the pack should be on your hips.

Is your sternum strap properly adjusted? It's a simple enough item, but if it's either not used, or not adjusted properly, you'll end up with a lot of pressure on the front of your shoulders. The pack "wants" to lean backward, and that sternum strap is your first line of defense to prevent just that.

If I'm going on a long hike with a heavy pack (noting that both "long" and "heavy" are very subjective in this context), I will frequently readjust the settings on the pack to prevent pressure points from building. Some of it violates everything I said above. I may actually spend a mile or so with my shoulders taking the brunt of the weight. Sometimes I'll adjust it higher on the hips, sometimes lower. I'll continuously loosen or tighten the shoulder straps and the sternum strap. The goal (with a heavy pack) is to prevent any part of the body to bear the full brunt of it long enough for a pressure point to build.

Something else to consider if all else fails, is to get some "Dr Scholls" style foot gels, and cut them to be slightly larger than you straps. Attach them to the straps using the method of your choice (which for me is typically duct tape) and use the gels as a cushion. It's not going to win any fashion awards, but the goal is comfort, right?

I asked Fox about your clavicle pain while out hiking this weekend and he asked a couple questions... the first was whether you were using a female-specific pack. He said a number of pack manufacturers are starting to realize the need to better adapt more of their packs for women because females have a lower center of gravity, different pelvic tilt, etc. They also have straps that are wider and curved to work around the breasts, not over. The second question he asked was whether you had the upper chest strap pulled snug and whether it was high or low across your chest. If you're loaded heavy and the strap is too low, he said it can pull very hard across your pectorals, neck muscles and clavicles. I don't know if that helps your query, but I'm still interested in learning what ends up working for you. :o

I haven't replied here much, mostly because it's been non-hiking season, and well, I've been busy.

To answer Fox... my pack is female specific and fits pretty well - the weight is not exorbitant and usually ends up between 16 & 18 pounds. (my goal is to keep it under 20 pounds if gear-sharing... well, even if not, actually - bigger tent gets split up and my smaller tent would weigh less if I were carrying all of it).

The weight is not being borne by my shoulders and the sternum strap is in the proper place (higher than mid, if you know what i mean). It is also properly distributed within the pack itself - bag on the bottom, heavier things near the top - anything I need quick access to that is lighter weight may go in a pocket somewhere. It's not packed for convenience.

I am sure there could be some modification with how things are packed and the pack is adjusted... no one is perfect.

However, the biggest issue as far as I can tell is that I have these bones that protrude - and the pressure from the pack straps as they cross my clavicle on both sides is excruciating after any length of time.

I suspect I will end up back at the store looking for another pack that has better padding on the straps (the Osprey I use has very little padding, actually) and may just return the one I have now for something 'better'.

Something will eventually work out... but I really appreciate all the replies over time, here. There are some fabulous and valuable ideas that have been shared!

michelle

I just bought an Osprey Argon 110 pack...well...ordered...supposed to arrive on the brown truck tomorrow. I also ordered the Osprey BioForm A/X Shoulder Harness. From the pictures it seems that this shoulder harness has much more padding than the stock one...and is more adjustable. In addition, I am planning on making a trip to a nearby REI to have the stock BioForm CM™ A/X hipbelt custom molded to me. You might want to try that alternative shoulder harness. Then again...you might want to wait for me to get back from my trip to the Bruce Peninsula (May 16-22) and just report on the performance of it (unless I don't get it before then).

Edited by victorymike

Got the last of my gear today. But it turned out that the BioForm A/X Shoulder Harness comes standard on the pack anyway...so I have to return the harness I got in addition to the pack. It didn't say that on the description of the packs and the picture wasn't that clear. Oh well. I'll just use the money to get something else. Sorry about that.