New version of Topo showing on Garmins site

I tried to fill my 2GB card up with maps and i got to a point where i could not put any more maps and it still had plenty of space left on the card, over 1GB. I have Garmin 76CSx. maybe i am doing something wrong?

When you select the CityNav NT Maps, make sure you check the box "include route calculation data". Also keep in mind that there are some combinations of maps that will hit the 2,025 segment with only 1GB, especially if the mix is heavy on Topo.

I tried to fill my 2GB card up with maps and i got to a point where i could not put any more maps and it still had plenty of space left on the card, over 1GB. I have Garmin 76CSx. maybe i am doing something wrong?

When you select the CityNav NT Maps, make sure you check the box "include route calculation data". Also keep in mind that there are some combinations of maps that will hit the 2,025 segment with only 1GB, especially if the mix is heavy on Topo.

No, i used the GPS unit not a card reader.

Where is that setting that you are talking about. Yes I am heavy on TOPO. I dont have city Nav NT. I have city Nav US and TOPO USA and a few others.

Edit.... OK i found that box and its greyed out. I have a 76CSx

Edited by jdwest32

You can not select/desect routing data with NT maps. It's always included.

City Navigator North America v8

You can select and deselect routing data.

City Navigator North America NT v8

You can not select or deselect routing data.

thanks,

I have another question, on my unit, 76CSx I have a page for street nav. it looks similar to what i have seen other units do that show the streets from the view of like you are driving, not top down view. I am ot sure what to do with this page if anything.

...on my unit, 76CSx I have a page for street nav. it looks similar to what i have seen other units do that show the streets from the view of like you are driving, not top down view. I am ot sure what to do with this page if anything.

Like you said, it shows the upcoming route/turns from the driver's perspective, although without the detailed map objects displayed (like the true car-based units). You can enhance this screen with data fields if you want, also (speed, time to next turn, time at destination, etc)

If you don't like it, or find you never use it, you can go into the menus and remove that from the list of "active" screens:

Setup Menu>>Page Sequence>>Remove

-RenHoek

...on my unit, 76CSx I have a page for street nav. it looks similar to what i have seen other units do that show the streets from the view of like you are driving, not top down view. I am ot sure what to do with this page if anything.

Like you said, it shows the upcoming route/turns from the driver's perspective, although without the detailed map objects displayed (like the true car-based units). You can enhance this screen with data fields if you want, also (speed, time to next turn, time at destination, etc)

If you don't like it, or find you never use it, you can go into the menus and remove that from the list of "active" screens:

Setup Menu>>Page Sequence>>Remove

-RenHoek

Thanks.

I think it is pretty useless without the graphics.

I found how to remove it. I was just wondering if the reason it did not have a map associated with it was that I had the wrong setup or the wrong software.

I got mine in the mail yesterday. I'm just starting to play with it but one thing i noticed right away was that there are more roads and the color scheme is different.

Care to expand? AFAI can tell the color scheme is the same...

i dont have it right in fornt of me right now but... the color is a little bit darker brown. I can take a screen shot tonight if you are interested. I dont think it is bad by any means. just a little different. :ph34r:

I got mine in the mail yesterday. I'm just starting to play with it but one thing i noticed right away was that there are more roads and the color scheme is different.

Care to expand? AFAI can tell the color scheme is the same...

i dont have it right in fornt of me right now but... the color is a little bit darker brown. I can take a screen shot tonight if you are interested. I dont think it is bad by any means. just a little different. :ph34r:

You don't need to take a screenshot, I have the software, My point was just that I cannot tell any difference between this and the old topo as far as colors go.

Update on my above review:

I loaded the maps on my 60CSx, and the roads show very nicely. the contour lines are light brown, whereas the roads and trails show up nice and dark.

I pretty much see the same thing as this guy sees.... :ph34r::ph34r:

my old topo was a little different. I am viewing on a 76CSx. either way it looks good to me :ph34r::grin:

Well, it's (US TOPO 2008) been out for a few months now, and I have read all of the posts above. I see amazon.com has it for $59 and if you own the older version (US TOPO) you can get a $30 rebate.

I have 2 questions I hope than someone can answer (PLEASE!!):

1) Is the disc locked or unlocked?

2) Do I need a DVD drive to load this map or can I use my CD drive?

Thank you in advance.

Steve

Edited by hitechman

I have 2 questions I hope than someone can answer (PLEASE!!):

1) Is the disc locked or unlocked?

2) Do I need a DVD drive to load this map or can I use my CD drive?

The software is fully unlocked, and you will need a DVD drive in your computer to install the software(because the software only comes on DVD). You do not need the dvd in the drive to use the software as it installs fully by default.