Greatest Puzzle Cache Ever?

sir2u

Figure this one out cause I've been trying for two months now.Not that I can go get it or anything,but it looks like someone put some thought in to this one.

I've received 12 emails from different cachers begging for hints on that cache :laughing:

This cache was light years ahead of it's time. The unique puzzles and the manner in which it was put together makes it what it is. I spent a solid month solving the puzzle.

The Dragonfly Scroll

7d6291fe-3e4b-453b-a86a-417a636e1515.jpg

It's actually quite easy to make an unsolvable puzzle cache. The trick is making it just hard enough to put up a good fight, so that people can actuallly solve it and get a great feeling of accomplishment. I prefer puzzles which are well designed and quite solvable by a smart cacher, such as "Wishbringer":

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...13-7cc476c3e93a

Tougher/more impossible does not equal 'better'.

I'm working on the dragonfly scrolls and making progress, and it's certainly fun, but i think it's a tad too difficult to be a truly great puzzle cache. Wishbringer is just about perfect. Challenging while at the same time accessible.

It's actually quite easy to make an unsolvable puzzle cache. The trick is making it just hard enough to put up a good fight, so that people can actuallly solve it and get a great feeling of accomplishment. I prefer puzzles which are well designed and quite solvable by a smart cacher, such as "Wishbringer":

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...13-7cc476c3e93a

Tougher/more impossible does not equal 'better'.

I'm working on the dragonfly scrolls and making progress, and it's certainly fun, but i think it's a tad too difficult to be a truly great puzzle cache. Wishbringer is just about perfect. Challenging while at the same time accessible.

I'm on the other side, I think Wishbringer is lame because I don't care for silly computer games (never have), but loved the challenge that the dragonfly scroll presented me. If you ever finish the dragonfly scroll, i'm certain that you will develop an appreciation of the detail that went into that puzzle.

I'm on the other side, I think Wishbringer is lame because I don't care for silly computer games (never have), but loved the challenge that the dragonfly scroll presented me. If you ever finish the dragonfly scroll, i'm certain that you will develop an appreciation of the detail that went into that puzzle.

Wishbringer (the game) is nothing more than an extended puzzle / story, which happens to be in a downloadable file rather than on the cache page. No more 'silly' than any other puzzle cache. If you enjoy reading stories, and solving puzzles, you should enjoy it.

Classic text adventures such as wishbringer require a quite a lot of thought, and snapplez put alot of effort into both the questions, as well as the cache hide itself, which is not as simple as just completing the game and answering the questions.

Note that the two caches are by the same hider. <_<

But, that was just an example of a well crafted, as well as solvable, cache. My main point is that the best crafted puzzles are solvable.

If a puzzle cache only gets one or two finds a year, it has probably failed as a puzzle cache. Puzzle caches which have been solved by 4 people (or never) can not win the title of 'greatest puzzle cache'. IMO.

Puzzle caches where figuring out what you're supposed to be figuring out just aren't as fun. I quite like a lot of clrl's puzzles --

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...03fe&u=clrl

'Phoenix' was a fun one --

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...43-6b2bf1fc26da

Edited by benh57

A few come to mind:

1) QMXLP GC10XJV

I haven't figured out this one yet. I know what the encryption is, but just haven't solved it yet.

2) A Convicted Hide GCRR2B

Found this one. A very neat multi-cache/puzzle-cache to find.

3) Beach Challenge - Part 1 GCYAQ4 and Beach Challenge - Part 2 GCYAQF

These two caches are one of the most challenging, clever and complex cache-combos I have found. Together, they combine many different types of caches (Traditional, Puzzle, Multi, Virtual, micro, small, regular-sized). You have to find virtual locations and get clues from them. These go into a sudoku puzzle which leads you other caches with more clues, ultimately leading you to a final ammo box cache. All this over two different towns about 10 miles apart.