USB drivers always missing

I downloaded and installed the latest usb drivers awhile ago for the garmin 76csx... Everytime I connect the gps to the system, I have to go through the New Hardware Wizard..any ideas what might be wrong... I point to the driver in system32/driver each time and it works...but it does not stay. Thanks.

I always direct programs where I want them installed because I have my computer hardrive partitioned. That said, somehow the Garmin USB drivers ended up in the root of C:\ That is not where I wanted them, and not where I would have even let them go, if I had seen that happen . . . :P

Anyway, that is where they are on this laptop running WinXP Media Edition, and I don't have any problems with the computer having to continually look for the drivers when I plug in my Vista C.

Maybe your drivers need to be in C:\Garmin\USB Drivers . . . ? :anicute:

The drivers are located in the Garmin folder and there is one also in sys32\drivers. I am going to re-install the whole system since there is something wrong with the email and I can not resolve it...start it fresh..and I'll watch where Garmin wants to drop the drivers too.

The drivers are located in the Garmin folder and there is one also in sys32\drivers. I am going to re-install the whole system since there is something wrong with the email and I can not resolve it...start it fresh..and I'll watch where Garmin wants to drop the drivers too.

had this happen to me with the 60 cx called garmin and they took control of my computer till they got it fixed (they are the best customer service) this is what they did.

1 go to run type regedit

2 Hkey_local_machine

3 software

4 hit plus on microsoft

5 hit plus on windows

6 highlight current version

7 at top go to edit -new-key

8 in new key type RunOnce

make sure to type it with R and O upper case

I downloaded and installed the latest usb drivers awhile ago for the garmin 76csx... Everytime I connect the gps to the system, I have to go through the New Hardware Wizard..any ideas what might be wrong... I point to the driver in system32/driver each time and it works...but it does not stay. Thanks.

I had the very same thing happening with my 60CSx on my WinXP laptop. I can't recall the details - old age. As I recall I simply found the driver folder on the CD (maybe it was /USB Drivers) and manually copied it to c:/Garmin/USB Drivers on my laptop. The next time I was asked to identify the driver I pointed to the one on the hard drive. I haven't had a problem since.

Edited by kenk