Trade Clarifications

Damenace

My intent of this thread is to clarify trading issues related to Pathtags, Geotags, Trolley Coins and regular Geocoins. I am not posting this thread to debate which is better or why or who to use for having one made. I do not mean any disrespect to those who have created Pathtags or Geotags, all I am looking for is clarification with those who own them.

I want to trade for a few of the Geotags but I did not have one made, so my question starts with, what would you offer for a Geotag? Geotags have caused some confusion for me!! They certainly have there own little niche that fills the void between Pathtags and Geocoins, however they are more than a Pathtag and less than a Geocoin. Geotags at this moment appear to only be tradable amongst those that had them created, so the trading options are 65 people strong? I am sure this number will increase.

I can’t help but think that Pathtags took off like they did due to the inexpensive alternate to Geocoins, basically a good alternative for a signature item. I can’t help but think that Geotags will take off since they are cheaper than a regular Geocoin. So what it comes down to is we now have three different hobbies going on.

Geocoin collectors:

1. Would you accept a Pathtag or a Geotag as trade for a Geocoin? How many would you request?

Geotag Collectors:

2. Would you accept a Pathtag as trade for a Geotag and if so how many would you request?

Pathtag Collectors:

3. How many Pathtags would you offer for a Geotag? For a Geocoin?

*snip*

Geocoin collectors:

1. Would you accept a Pathtag or a Geotag as trade for a Geocoin? How many would you request?

I wouldn't accept a Pathtag for a regular geocoin. Geotags are merely micros, so yes, I would trade a geotag for a micro.

Geotag Collectors:

2. Would you accept a Pathtag as trade for a Geotag and if so how many would you request?

N/A

Pathtag Collectors:

3. How many Pathtags would you offer for a Geotag? For a Geocoin?

1 for 1, pathtag for geotag for micro. Wouldn't offer pathtags for a regular size coin.

As a Geotag owner (if I got in the mail today what I think I got in the mail today) I would examine any trade offer on a case-by-case basis. It's more about how much I want what someone is offering, than how big/little or expensive/inexpensive it was.

eta: not sure how "the community" in general feels about this, but I would also be perfectly happy to look at a few dollars one way or the other to make up any perceived difference in trade value.

Edited by fivedime

Good questions which leads to other considerations. And this may be known in general but not necessarily to all or to me. ;)

First, I consider geotags to be geocoins even though all share the same back. I have a choice at some mints to use my own front design and their generic back so I consider this similar to that. So for me they fall in as coins.

Given that, the geotag is 1.25" across. Is it a small or a micro? I have micros that measure smaller than that. Where do we draw the line on size? Is there something set in stone or does this size create a "new" category as Damenace suggests?

There are Geocoins that are 1.5" across. Are they just small and not "worth" a trade for a 2"+ coin?

If you consider Geotags micros, would you only trade micro geocoins for them? Or would you trade larger size for more than one tag.

Since geotags are so new the first group may be the guinea pigs on this. And as fivedime said, it might just have to come down to a case-by-case basis between the traders. If someone wants a coin bad enough there are ways to get the deal done. ;)

You know, I never really thought about it. I figured that I would trade them with those that offer to trade with me as long as they like my coin and I like what they offer. As to what I would accept, I think I would trade for just about anyones own personal coin or Geotag but would have second thoughts if they offered someone elses or one of the cheaper micros still available for purchase. When said and done I think it will mainly fall on the design of the Geotag and popularity of the cacher, rather than a price comparison.

O-Mega

As a Geocoin collector, I would trade for geotags but I didn't have any made myself yet. Not sure about pathtags. I would have to see a few first.

As a Geocoin collector, I got the GeoTags because I viewed them as a nice way to get customized, smaller geocoins with an official GC tracking # and an icon. It's not a unique icon for my design, but it's better than the generic 23.gif, IMHO.

I don't expect that everyone will suddenly become a "GeoTag collector", and actually in the group who made these coins for the first batch, I don't think that we ever had the idea that we were splitting off into a separate category of collector. I'm sure that some will treat their GeoTag just like any other geocoin -- selling them on coin listing sites, auctioning them on eBay, trying to trade them for a Moun10Bike coin, etc etc etc. It will be interesting to see the levels of success that these different approaches achieve.

In the end, I am expecting that my GeoTags will be worth a few micros here and there as trades at events, and possibly worth a few of the generic, mass quantity coins that have been produced, even if they aren't micros.

Of course, a bunch of my GeoTags will get released into the wild with various missions and some will show up with packages of other trades as a surprise for the recipient.

As another GeoTag owner I never considered this, although in a recent potential trade I offered several items that I had coming as options, including my GeoTag. I got a polite response back that they were not considering the collection of GeoTags so that it would not be considered. I respect that and do not have a problem with it.

They are 'just' another geocoin, and as such all trades considered. ;)

Edited by keewee01

As another GeoTag owner I never considered this, although in a recent potential trade I offered several items that I had coming as options, including my GeoTag. I got a polite response back that they were not considering the collection of GeoTags so that it would not be considered. I respect that and do not have a problem with it.

That is an interesting point of how folks may be looking at geotags - grouping them all into one coin/design so to speak, when in fact each tag is as individual as its creator. These are personal cons, reflecting personal choices. And each has its own unique design. Hope is they are looked at as individual personal coins and not as "just another tag." And that to acquire one or two does not mean all are needed to "make a set" since these are not, in that sense, a set of coins. ;)

Edited by GPX Navigators

My other concern was cost of coin. Does the difference in cost matter to you? Or do you just chalk it up as a trade is a trade is a trade?

A geocoin is a geocoin to me. The only exception I might make with regard to the cost of the coin relative to a trade would be for a coin struck on an actual precious metal (real silver, gold, etc.)

A pathtag is a pathtag. I wouldn't accept *-tags in trade for a geocoin.

etc.

A trade is just that.

It has no value as far as monetary.

I have traded almost everyone well....you all know who a little bit of this for a little bit of that.

I thank you all for your generosity in the beginning.

I have some awesome trades.

I treasure that.

The friendship more than anything else.

The real hidden treasure of it all.

I have every envelope and trade item ever sent me.(except bubble mailers(if they had a good stamp I got it).

I collect everything.

I have never sold anything on Eplay.

I finally got to trade with moun10bike.

It was a pathtag but do you know how long I have been trying to get something traded with him?

A looooooooooooooooong time.

Now I have another great treasure from a member of this community.

How do you place a value on that.

just my .02

Geocoin collectors:

Pathtags are the same as untrackable micros, so I'd trade one for one for an untrackable micro geocoin.

Geotags are the same as trackable micros, so I'd trade one for one for a trackable micro geocoin.

Depending on how much I liked the design, I would adjust my trade offer, just like any other geocoin trade. ;)

--Marky

Pathtag (and non trackable micros if there are any) are only signature/regular trade items. I would not trade a coin for a pathtag but maybe a non trackable micro if I really wanted it. I place these in the catagory as they are in the $1 range to produce.

Geotags, trackable micros, and regular coins (trackable and non trackable) I consider geocoins and usually trade 1 for 1. Granted these do range in cost by a couple of dollars but I figure sometimes I get the better of the deal and sometimes the other person does. Overall it will average out.

Team Sand Dollar

(and non trackable micros if there are any)

Team Sand Dollar

(this isn't directed to TSD, just a reply)

There are! I know Parents of SAM's girls each have a non trackable micro and I believe they are so happy to trade that they will trade for most things. I'm willing to bet that if one of those cute little girls came looking for a trade they'd get something nice in return! There will also be some non trackable micros at GW5 I thihnk I'ce heard of a couple ;)

As for me, I have a path tag, not many only made 25, and have only entertained a few trades, but I have placed them in caches and given them away to friends. I also see them as a really nice signature item! I have a non trackable regular, it's kinda big in that it is 3D on both sides, I think so far only 1 person has said no to a trade becuase it wasnt trackable, which is fine by me. I don't have a GeoTag but I've had a design for something similar for awhile and may get it done in the future, at which point I'd trade for other GeoTags, coins, pathtags etc.

Team Sand Dollar

There are! I know Parents of SAM's girls each have a non trackable micro and I believe they are so happy to trade that they will trade for most things. I'm willing to bet that if one of those cute little girls came looking for a trade they'd get something nice in return! There will also be some non trackable micros at GW5 I thihnk I'ce heard of a couple ;)

As for me, I have a path tag, not many only made 25, and have only entertained a few trades, but I have placed them in caches and given them away to friends. I also see them as a really nice signature item! I have a non trackable regular, it's kinda big in that it is 3D on both sides, I think so far only 1 person has said no to a trade because it wasn't trackable, which is fine by me. I don't have a GeoTag but I've had a design for something similar for awhile and may get it done in the future, at which point I'd trade for other GeoTags, coins, pathtags etc.

Forgot about the POS micros.

Actually I have traded for the Parents of SAM's girls non trackable micro coins. They offered me all three coins for 1 of my coin. I didn't think that was fair so I sent them 3 of my coins in trade for 2 sets of there micro coins.

And I will trade for other no trackable personal micros but will try and use my geotag for trade.

Team Sand Dollar

My other concern was cost of coin. Does the difference in cost matter to you? Or do you just chalk it up as a trade is a trade is a trade?

A geocoin is a geocoin to me. The only exception I might make with regard to the cost of the coin relative to a trade would be for a coin struck on an actual precious metal (real silver, gold, etc.)

A pathtag is a pathtag. I wouldn't accept *-tags in trade for a geocoin.

etc.

I agree totally. Geocoins are geocoins. Those other *-tags are not.

They're all coins to me. Some are worth more than others based on design, number produced, etc., etc. If the design is cool enough, a deal can be made :anibad: GeoTags and Path Tags are simply personal coins that are small. They might be cheaper to create, but they're still coins. Like all coins, depending on popularity you might have to adjust numbers involved for trades. Some coins are just a lot more expensive than others to create regardless of what size they are and these just seem like smaller and less expensive coins.

Here is my break down:

2 pathtags for one coin

1 geotag for one coin

1 pathtag for one geotag

The above does not make any sense.

1) 2 pathtags for 1 coin

2) 1 coin for 1 geotag

3) then 1 pathtag can not equal 1 geotag; it should be 2 pathtags for 1 geotag

Edited by TMOCM

Here is my break down:

2 pathtags for one coin

1 geotag for one coin

1 pathtag for one geotag

The above does not make any sense.

1) 2 pathtags for 1 coin

2) 1 coin for 1 geotag

3) then 1 pathtag can not equal 1 geotag; it should be 2 pathtags for 1 geotag

OOO... touche :P

Now that I'm home from GW5 I'm getting caught up on the threads.

Team Sand Dollar

There are! I know Parents of SAM's girls each have a non trackable micro and I believe they are so happy to trade that they will trade for most things. I'm willing to bet that if one of those cute little girls came looking for a trade they'd get something nice in return!

Yup! I probably traded with all 3 of them Friday night at the Ramada. They were too cute!

When I jumped on the GeoTag bandwagon one of my first thoughts was cheap travel bugs. I also saw it as a cheap way to field several coin ideas I had (and make some in low numbers for things like a personal GW5 trader). I had hoped to use them as traders for other geocoins, especially since they're trackable, but the name causing confusion with PathTags and the fact they're a non-standard size complicates that. I see them now as a large microcoin and I think they're worth a trade for other micros, but I doubt I'll get trades for regular coins with them (unless perhaps the regular is non-trackable). As for PathTags, I haven't set out to collect them at this point (and never saw them in person before GW5). If I was offered a PathTag that really interested me I might trade a GeoTag for it but I'd be more inclined to offer several of my own sig items.

I just saw this thread.

I trade for what I like be it pathtag, geocoin or geotag.

We have had people turn us down on a trade for our non-trackable micro coins, because they are micros and no tracking. But I think I am pretty fair about it. I trade the 3 coin set for 1 trackable coin or 2 non-trackables.

The girls also have F2F trade versions that they trade for anything. They have come back with everything from a 06 Gold Compass Rose to a Fimo clay sig item. I have not given them any trading restrictions. Everyone has been very fair in trading with them. :blink: I appreciate that.

I would trade a geocoin for a geotag...seems like the same to me. But I am not sure what I would trade for a Pathtag. It has never come up.

I got to see several Geotags over the weekend, and I was given a few. I have to say, they certainly aren't in the same league as pathtags, nor geocoins. Kind of an odd duck. The design artwork on the custom side was excellent! Overall though, the back side was too boring and they seemed too thin and light for their OD size. By boring I mean, the tag is just big enough to need more than just words back there to catch the eye.

Personally I'm thinking along the lines with Islander1988. I'd be more inclined to trade sig items or other Geotags for them, not geocoins. They make great gifts though.

I have my geotags. To me they are coins, plain and simple. I guess I don't see why some people are so resistant in seeing them as such. Because the name has "tag" in it and a hole? They are larger and thicker than micros but they aren't as thick as most "common" sized geocoins. The backs are the same and they share an icon, this isn't a new concept.

I spent about $460 incl. shipping on 125 coins. I like mine and I think they turned out nice. I've seen a couple others and the designs turned out great. These are just basic and simple coins, nothing fancy. Even if you think they are too plain, ugly or odd, it does not mean they aren't a coin (this comment is not directed toward any one individual).

Value is relative and only important between the parties trading or buying. I would trade mine for a pathtag or micro that I really wanted, I would also trade a micro for a geotag (I don't have pathtags).

I can see it's going to take some time for a portion of the 'coin' community to eventually recognize the geotags as coins.

tsun :blink:

I have my geotags. To me they are coins, plain and simple. I guess I don't see why some people are so resistant in seeing them as such. Because the name has "tag" in it and a hole? They are larger and thicker than micros but they aren't as thick as most "common" sized geocoins. The backs are the same and they share an icon, this isn't a new concept.

I spent about $460 incl. shipping on 125 coins. I like mine and I think they turned out nice. I've seen a couple others and the designs turned out great. These are just basic and simple coins, nothing fancy. Even if you think they are too plain, ugly or odd, it does not mean they aren't a coin (this comment is not directed toward any one individual).

Value is relative and only important between the parties trading or buying. I would trade mine for a pathtag or micro that I really wanted, I would also trade a micro for a geotag (I don't have pathtags).

I can see it's going to take some time for a portion of the 'coin' community to eventually recognize the geotags as coins.

tsun :blink:

I agree with a lot of what you said, tsun. The fact that they are trackable micro/small coins, but specialized with verbage about "tags", makes them confusing. The cost is comprable to a trackable micro geocoin of the same metal specs, with two custom sides. Part of the uniqueness comes in the hole, and the blank side on the back, which makes them a group coin. The other unique feature is the same as all coins/tags/whatever, is someone's personal expression art on the front side.

I feel that the marketing of this *small metal object* :( was intended to separate itself from geocoins somehow. Otherwise, it would have just been called a micro geocoin, without two custom dies, for the same price. It makes me (and possibly others) lose focus. I can appreciate people wanting to be part of a group project, and I think that's just swell. Your quote sums it up best:

"Value is relative and only important between the parties trading or buying"

tsun :(

I agree with a lot of what you said, tsun. The fact that they are trackable micro/small coins, but specialized with verbage about "tags", makes them confusing. The cost is comprable to a trackable micro geocoin of the same metal specs, with two custom sides. Part of the uniqueness comes in the hole, and the blank side on the back, which makes them a group coin. The other unique feature is the same as all coins/tags/whatever, is someone's personal expression art on the front side.

I feel that the marketing of this *small metal object* :blink: was intended to separate itself from geocoins somehow. Otherwise, it would have just been called a micro geocoin, without two custom dies, for the same price. It makes me (and possibly others) lose focus. I can appreciate people wanting to be part of a group project, and I think that's just swell. Your quote sums it up best:

I agree also, I think the name caused some confusion with people. Geocoin life may have been simpler had coin been incorporated BUT that time has come and gone. At least you're not closed-minded regarding this issue :lol:

In the end, I wouldn't give my kidney for one :(

tsun :P

That says it all.

I got my geotags and personally I wouldn't want to trade a geocoin for them, I gave them away as freebies or plan to release them into the wild. I find it hard to equate something made of zinc as being a exactly a geocoin.

Same, same... but different :blink:

Coin for a coin.

Tag for a tag.

Value for Value across the lines.

I don't have any idea what the difference between a Teotag and a Path Tag is. I just assumed they are all made up names for the Trolly Coins.

A GeoTag is trackable on Geocaching just like a Geocoin and are 1.25in in diameter.

PathTags all have a common number for all that are made in a specific design and only can be tracked on the PathTag site and are just a tad smaller then a inch in diameter.

Trolly Tokens have no numbering and not trackable and are just a tad smaller then a inch in diameter.

Then there is a CacheTag these are sequentialy numbered and not trackable as well and are just a tad smaller then a inch in diameter as well.

Hope that helps some , Glenn

That says it all.

I got my geotags and personally I wouldn't want to trade a geocoin for them, I gave them away as freebies or plan to release them into the wild. I find it hard to equate something made of zinc as being a exactly a geocoin.

Same, same... but different ;)

I drilled holes in both a brass and nickle plated tag and then you made me think. Sent note to mint and they reminded me it is a base metal of iron not zinc alloy. Iron is magnetic, zinc is not magnetic. I even verified with another coin I know is zinc based.

I guess I was stupid hoping that I could trade my geotag for another geocoin... But I have not recieved them yet, and when I do, I will try :D

Edit: They have arrived :D

Edited by Smort78

Coin for a coin.

Tag for a tag.

Value for Value across the lines.

I don't have any idea what the difference between a Teotag and a Path Tag is. I just assumed they are all made up names for the Trolly Coins.

A GeoTag is trackable on Geocaching just like a Geocoin and are 1.25in in diameter.

PathTags all have a common number for all that are made in a specific design and only can be tracked on the PathTag site and are just a tad smaller then a inch in diameter.

Trolly Tokens have no numbering and not trackable and are just a tad smaller then a inch in diameter.

Then there is a CacheTag these are sequentialy numbered and not trackable as well and are just a tad smaller then a inch in diameter as well.

Hope that helps some , Glenn

Agreed - I don't see them as anything other than a micro geocoin. Sure they all have the same back on them, but then don't also a number of the mints/geocoin vendors offer some standard backs for full size geocoins. Whats the difference.

GeoTags are definitely not a PathTag, they are a micro geocoin.

The GeoTag regardless of name is a trackable geocoin with a common back and common icon. It is slightly smaller than some coins and slightly bigger than others.

I got my coin as a trade only trackable coin, as did my dad (Buffalo Wings) and my sister (edugator). We got these to trade for other GeoTags as well as micro, non-trackable coins, and other coins when requested.

Team Sand Dollar

Well, I have to say that I now have traded a couple of my Geotags for regular geocoins (good ones too!), given away a couple, and will send a couple more out in a couple of days. So I would say it depends on who is making the trade and what they think of the cacher and the coin that makes the value of the Geotags go up or down. I also think that the art on some of these Geotags far outdo some of the coins that I have seen so the fact that they have a common back doesn't take anything away from them IMHO.

O-Mega

The GeoTag regardless of name is a trackable geocoin with a common back and common icon. It is slightly smaller than some coins and slightly bigger than others.

I got my coin as a trade only trackable coin, as did my dad (Buffalo Wings) and my sister (edugator). We got these to trade for other GeoTags as well as micro, non-trackable coins, and other coins when requested.

Team Sand Dollar

Well, regardless of what you, I or anyone thinks these things are, I think my trading scale is fair...

1 Pathtag for 1 Pathtag

1 Geotag for 1 Geotag

1 Geocoin for 1 Geocoin

Team Sand Dollar

Well, regardless of what you, I or anyone thinks these things are, I think my trading scale is fair...

1 Pathtag for 1 Pathtag

1 Geotag for 1 Geotag

1 Geocoin for 1 Geocoin

So, A&T, do you want to trade for one of my GeoTags? ;)

After taking a week off from this forum (nope, didn't go to GW5; just needed a break from "coins dancing in my head" :D), I came back today and spent the last 10-15 minutes reading this thread. Here are my thoughts...

We bought into the GeoTags; got 30 of them and they came out better than we could have hoped ;) For us this was a way of getting a personal geocoin without spending all the up-front money that others do. They are geocoins, no argument about that! They are trackable, they have an icon, they were sellable through this website; what more does anyone need as proof that they are, in fact, geocoins? We agree that they are thinner than other geocoins, but that was part of the means whereby the cost was kept down. But we did the design (thanks to Jamie for polishing it up!) and paid for it; it's our PC.

That being said, we would never expect to trade one-for-one for a 2006 Compass Rose or a Moun10Bike or any other such rare geocoin. We might expect to be able to work out a trade for a micro, or a high-mintage 2-inch coin, however. There are also a lot of non-trackables which we would trade for. As has been noted, a lot depends upon what the other person wants. If they like our design enough, it might be worth it to them to lose a little "monetary value" to get our GeoTag, and vice versa. Considering that there is no extrinsic value in any geocoin - in other words, no one outside of the geocaching community is likely to want one - all values are determined by the traders.

So, Damenace (or anyone else), if you saw our chaosmanor GeoTag (the one with the stars and comet on one half and the ocean and seashells on the other, with our name on a diagonal bar between them), and would like one, feel free to make us a trade offer. There are probably lots of coins that you have which we would be happy to get in trade. We plan to put out most of our coins into caches, but we have already made two trades, to folks who did *not* have their own GeoTags made.