Quick Question About First Finder Prize Idea

I am in the early planning stages of my first geocache hide. Yes, I plan to find more before placing it...etc.

One quick question about the first to find prize. Would it be okay to put in a gift certificate for a free t-shirt from a website that I own?

It kinda feels commercial, but I want the person to be able to pick out a shirt in a style and size they could use.

It would only be for the first finder (or the 2nd if the 1st didn't take it or something), and there would be no other mention of the website in the cache.

Opinions?

I am in the early planning stages of my first geocache hide. Yes, I plan to find more before placing it...etc.

One quick question about the first to find prize. Would it be okay to put in a gift certificate for a free t-shirt from a website that I own?

It kinda feels commercial, but I want the person to be able to pick out a shirt in a style and size they could use.

It would only be for the first finder (or the 2nd if the 1st didn't take it or something), and there would be no other mention of the website in the cache.

Opinions?

Absolutely not. Send the certificate to me before you get yourself in trouble. :(

Opinions?

:anicute::anicute: I have no problem with the T-shirt idea, of course, but... does this mean that you will no longer be emplacing those four bars of gold as the FTF prize? You plan to substitute one lousy T-shirt for four large bars of gold? If that is true, then I may need to drop out of the FTF race for this cache! :(:unsure:

My advice is to mention the FTF prize as a note on the cache, not in the cache description. After it's been found by a few people nobody is going to care about what the FTF prize was, and after it's been out for a year (you hope) nobody is going to give a foo about what it had in it when it was hidden. Use a note and you can be more descriptive about what the t-shirt prize is, as the note is less obtrusive.

My advice is to mention the FTF prize as a note on the cache, not in the cache description. After it's been found by a few people nobody is going to care about what the FTF prize was, and after it's been out for a year (you hope) nobody is going to give a foo about what it had in it when it was hidden. Use a note and you can be more descriptive about what the t-shirt prize is, as the note is less obtrusive.

That is a great idea. I have always thought it was a little odd for cache pages to have, as part of the description, what the original contents WERE. I find it even more strange that this is suggested in the guidelines.

The idea of using a note, then deleting it after it is no longer relevant is a good one. But of course the owner could also edit the cache page to the same effect.

Personally, I would not even mention the FTF prize. Being as I AM an FTF hound (at least minimally), I can say, IMO, (think I got enuff qualifiers yet?), id oubt that many FTF hounds really care what the FTF prize is or for that matter even if there IS one at all.

Your best course, especially if you are truly concerned about the ethics of listing it in regard to the "commercial" thing, is just don't mention it at all.

The prize is great. The only issue could be the "advertising" thing, so simply don't do that part.

Well, I was planning on just putting a certificate type thing on the top of the cache (inside it of course, not on top really) for the first person. You know... Congrats, your FTF prize is a free t-shirt. Go here (website) and let me know which one you want and I'll send it to you free. I wouldn't mention it on the cache page.

Of course, the 4 gold bar idea could work. It just seems too.... ordinary.

:anibad:

But really... is a free t-shirt a bad FTF? These are very nice t-shirts - like $20 retail. Not good enough for a FTF prize?

Edited by MelN2LilMen

Well, I was planning on just putting a certificate type thing on the top of the cache (inside it of course, not on top really) for the first person. You know... Congrats, your FTF prize is a free t-shirt. Go here (website) and let me know which one you want and I'll send it to you free. I wouldn't mention it on the cache page.

But really... is a free t-shirt a bad FTF? These are very nice t-shirts - like $20 retail. Not good enough for a FTF prize?

i think that is an excellent FTF prize. at least compared to mine, all i gave was a rubber chicken! the other day i was FTF on a cache and i got a $25 gift card for olive garden. thats pretty great around here. so, yeah a T_shirt is a great FTF.

Your cache, your prize. As you can see anything that is not blantantly commercial is acceptable. It is NOT a requirement that you have an FTF prize. Some FTF hounds admit that the joy is in the FTF not in a prize. It is OK to have something in your description that you later edit out such as the fact that you have a "free T-Shirt" as an FTF prize. We suggest that if you choose to place a described value item in a cache that it might be best if the the cache were set for premier members only in order to help prevent the general public from seeking and muggling caches just for the contents.

Anything in a description that is not relevant at a future date is just plain useless. Cache contents, FTF prize, etc., is a real waste of space and time down the road. We do give FTF recognition in our edited descriptions as a kind of reward.