Water Proof logs & Caches

Put a small lock-n-lock inside the swiss cheese ammo can. Double ziplocbaggie everything in that. Use rite-n-the-rain paper. Should keep things reasonably well.

Is rite-n-the-rain paper a plastic base? I've never used it, but I figured anything with a pulp base might get eaten or broken down by various critters, molds, etc. I thought waterproof container at first, but then figured that would only work until the first careless cacher didn't make sure it was sealed well.

Put a small lock-n-lock inside the swiss cheese ammo can. Double ziplocbaggie everything in that. Use rite-n-the-rain paper. Should keep things reasonably well.

Is rite-n-the-rain paper a plastic base? I've never used it, but I figured anything with a pulp base might get eaten or broken down by various critters, molds, etc. I thought waterproof container at first, but then figured that would only work until the first careless cacher didn't make sure it was sealed well.

Looks and feels plastic. I bought one of the Official Geocaching ones and placed it in my first cache, which is a Lock&Lock so it stays dry anyway. My biggest concern would be the ink used to write on it, would it dissolve with continuous immersion?

Looks and feels plastic. I bought one of the Official Geocaching ones and placed it in my first cache, which is a Lock&Lock so it stays dry anyway. My biggest concern would be the ink used to write on it, would it dissolve with continuous immersion?

I hadn't even considered that, but I think I have an idea for what might work. I'll do some testing first though. :(

I am a huge fan of the rite in the rain paper. One of our caches is a large piece of bark that has a piece of ritr paper attached to the entire underside. The bark is velcroed back in place. The cache has been out in the woods for about six months and still looks as good as new.

A couple of my other caches are submerged. The containers themselves are a little unique and cannot be waterproofed so I use bison tubes to hold the log sheet. I attach the bison tubes to the cache containers. They survived the winter intact although one of them has been inactivated for a few months while some sort of work is being done on the pond. The cache is still there but it is difficult to retrieve. They have the pond aerators turned off so there is a thick layer of algae on top of the water. Yuck.

I also use the ritr paper for a cache that needs water added to it to retrieve the log sheet. I figure that the cachers that sign the log sheet will have wet hands by the time the retrieve the log sheet. I hate it when I have to sign a soggy strip of paper! The ritr doesn't get soggy and is easy to write on.

I was not able to use my printer on the ritr paper. The ink easily smudged even after allowing it to dry for several days.

I am a huge fan of the rite in the rain paper. One of our caches is a large piece of bark that has a piece of ritr paper attached to the entire underside. The bark is velcroed back in place. The cache has been out in the woods for about six months and still looks as good as new.

A couple of my other caches are submerged. The containers themselves are a little unique and cannot be waterproofed so I use bison tubes to hold the log sheet. I attach the bison tubes to the cache containers. They survived the winter intact although one of them has been inactivated for a few months while some sort of work is being done on the pond. The cache is still there but it is difficult to retrieve. They have the pond aerators turned off so there is a thick layer of algae on top of the water. Yuck.

I also use the ritr paper for a cache that needs water added to it to retrieve the log sheet. I figure that the cachers that sign the log sheet will have wet hands by the time the retrieve the log sheet. I hate it when I have to sign a soggy strip of paper! The ritr doesn't get soggy and is easy to write on.

I was not able to use my printer on the ritr paper. The ink easily smudged even after allowing it to dry for several days.

Thanks ;) So the ink hasn't run on your bark cache?

I have been using rite in the rain paper for some time and here is what I found out.

This paper is water resistant, not water proof. It will allow water to bead off it (and water based inks too, so use laser to print) but when cut to log size, the moisture will get to the exposed edges eventually so it will not survive too long unprotected underwater. It works great if you place it in a baggy or sealed container, as long as they stay in decent condition but for underwater use, I would get a Underwater Slate they have some rather cheap ones.

O-Mega

I would get a Underwater Slate they have some rather cheap ones.

I'm not a diver, so don't cuss me too bad if this is a stupid question: Are dive slates a single slab, or are they multiple slabs, like a spiral notebook?

CR.. maybe things would be a little more peaceful around here if you started everyone one of your posts like that. ;) The underwater slates I use are rigid plastic.

RitR paper is pulp based paper. It won't retain printer ink and the recommended writing medium is pencil, IIRC.

There are other waterproof papers made from plastic out there that can survive being boiled and handle ink and toner just fine. I actually printed my resume for Cirque du Soleil's "O" on this stuff, then double sealed it in a FoodSaver bag with a couple of cups of water in it. (Very tricky since I couldn't disable the vacuum on that machine.) I have a picture of it at home.

It survived for months and months on the Technical Director's wall. At one point, I was working on making logbooks out of the stuff, but I can't really remember where I put it.

I think I found a foolproof solution! I'm going to use a cut-to-size chunk of 1/4 inch thick sheet aluminum. I'm going to pre-score it with signature areas and just attach an etching steel to it with a small chain. It should hold a few hundred signatures between the two sides if I make it the maximum size for a standard ammocan. I'm off to look for the aluminum now, but I'll post pics if it works out ;)