LETTERBOXING

Last week whilst carrying out a maintenance check on one of my caches near Dorking in Surrey :anicute::( [broadwood Tower GC10JNM] I noticed the cache had been moved[most probably by the National Trust who were doing some scrub clearance work in the area]

I was not over concerned as it was still in a good spot not too far away and was grateful for the N.T that it was'nt destroyed [although they were informed that there was a cache in the area]

What suprised me was that about a metre away from my cache was another cache [ a screw top drinks beaker] in a partially decomposed plastic bag.

I opened it up and inside was a rubber John Bull type stamp and a log book [empty]

The stamp was a very well made picture of the tower at the cache location.

The log book contained a phone number which was an 081 prefix not used in London for 8 years or so.

I signed the log and carefully rehid it.

I Phoned the number and left a message.

The next day a lady phoned me back and said that this was a 'Letterbox' one of 4 in the Box Hill Country Park. She went on to say that no one had logged this one for over 10 years and that when she last went to look for it herself 8 years ago she couln't find it!

Letter boxing obviously predates Geocaching by a considerable number of years, and started up in Dartmoor.

We should be grateful for these early pioneers.

Any one know where these logs are listed and how one would have reported the log ?[This would have been pre E mail era ifyou can believe those times existed]

Aso any one else come across these letterboxes on Box Hill?

Last week whilst carrying out a maintenance check on one of my caches near Dorking in Surrey :anicute::( [broadwood Tower GC10JNM] I noticed the cache had been moved[most probably by the National Trust who were doing some scrub clearance work in the area]

I was not over concerned as it was still in a good spot not too far away and was grateful for the N.T that it was'nt destroyed [although they were informed that there was a cache in the area]

What suprised me was that about a metre away from my cache was another cache [ a screw top drinks beaker] in a partially decomposed plastic bag.

I opened it up and inside was a rubber John Bull type stamp and a log book [empty]

The stamp was a very well made picture of the tower at the cache location.

The log book contained a phone number which was an 081 prefix not used in London for 8 years or so.

I signed the log and carefully rehid it.

I Phoned the number and left a message.

The next day a lady phoned me back and said that this was a 'Letterbox' one of 4 in the Box Hill Country Park. She went on to say that no one had logged this one for over 10 years and that when she last went to look for it herself 8 years ago she couln't find it!

Letter boxing obviously predates Geocaching by a considerable number of years, and started up in Dartmoor.

We should be grateful for these early pioneers.

Any one know where these logs are listed and how one would have reported the log ?[This would have been pre E mail era ifyou can believe those times existed]

Aso any one else come across these letterboxes on Box Hill?

Letterboxes are generally found either by luck (search likely Tor's), by word of mouth or in catalogs that are published. One of the most well known directories of Dartmoor letterboxes is published but you need 100 stamps (finds) to be able to buy it. Letterboxers do hold meets as well.

There is no real single place to report logs on the net as Letterboxing predates the net. (Infact there are several other cache listings sites other than Geocaching.com as well).

Here are some links http://www.letterboxing.info/links/?id=20

Philip

That sounds like a great find :( I didn't know that information about the history of letterboxing.

Letterboxing predates electronic computers by a long way!

I believe Letterboxing predates ELECTRIC by a fair margin! The first letterbox was a calling card placed in Cranmoor (cranmere? :anicute: ) Pool on Dartmoor, somewhere in the mid to late 1800s!

As has been said, there is no official logging place - you just collect the stamps in a book or whatever, and keep it at home! Word of mouth, random searching, or the 100 Club catalogue are the way to find them, or sometimes leaflets with circular walks and instructions from village shops in Dartmoor - we've got the catalogue, although its probably a bit dated!

Its great fun, and seems to be the forerunner of caching! Long may they both continue!

Dave

That sounds like a great find :( I didn't know that information about the history of letterboxing.

Letterboxing predates electronic computers by a long way!

I believe Letterboxing predates ELECTRIC by a fair margin! The first letterbox was a calling card placed in Cranmoor (cranmere? :anicute: ) Pool on Dartmoor, somewhere in the mid to late 1800s!

As has been said, there is no official logging place - you just collect the stamps in a book or whatever, and keep it at home! Word of mouth, random searching, or the 100 Club catalogue are the way to find them, or sometimes leaflets with circular walks and instructions from village shops in Dartmoor - we've got the catalogue, although its probably a bit dated!

Its great fun, and seems to be the forerunner of caching! Long may they both continue!

Dave

I once ran a search for something on the internet and came up with a whole list of letterboxes all over the UK quite by accident. If I can find a link to it I will post it here later.

Some of them even seem to be in the exact locations and with the same names as caches, especially on Cadair Idris and in other Welsh locations. There is one within a mile and a half of my house; I have not been able to find it, but now I have a proper compass I intend to go back and have another look. The land use may well have buried it by now though

Slightly off topic, but when in Paris we were doing the cache in the 'Jardin des Plantes'. Great cache - currently suspended - partly because at least one of the clues was AWOL. Mix that with my incompetence and we stride out of the gardens to a location which also matched the clue - and with a bit of deft hunting found the geocache - except it wasnt - it was a totally separate cache series setup from Switzerland.

Stuff happenz!

Slightly off topic, but when in Paris we were doing the cache in the 'Jardin des Plantes'. Great cache - currently suspended - partly because at least one of the clues was AWOL. Mix that with my incompetence and we stride out of the gardens to a location which also matched the clue - and with a bit of deft hunting found the geocache - except it wasnt - it was a totally separate cache series setup from Switzerland.

Stuff happenz!

Stuff happenz!

Letterboxing predates geocaching by almost 150 years, in fact I believe last year was the 150th anniversary of the first letterbox. You no longer need to have found 100 letterboxes to be able to buy the catalogue (see second link) I got one after only about 20 finds, and not having to show any proof of finds. This catalogue only shows those letterboxes hidden on Dartmoor, and of those, only the ones that have been registered with the 100 Club. Of course, the only true letterboxes are on Dartmoor. Both links give some history of letterboxing, and some useful links.

Dartmoor Letterboxing

letterboxing on dartmoor

Letterboxing predates geocaching by almost 150 years, in fact I believe last year was the 150th anniversary of the first letterbox. You no longer need to have found 100 letterboxes to be able to buy the catalogue (see second link) I got one after only about 20 finds, and not having to show any proof of finds. This catalogue only shows those letterboxes hidden on Dartmoor, and of those, only the ones that have been registered with the 100 Club. Of course, the only true letterboxes are on Dartmoor. Both links give some history of letterboxing, and some useful links.

So for 150 years people have been hooked on "the numbers" eh? ;)

Also found this link

http://members.aol.com/g0bpk/lbox.htm

I walked past those kilns at Rosedale on holiday last year - if only I'd known there was a letterbox there!

Lisa

Me too - I found the cache there earlier in the month. ;)

I am surprised too that noone has mentioned hybrid letterbox/geocaches! ;)

I didn't even find the cache - it was placed whilst we were on our holiday so we didn't know it was there! ;)

Lisa

If it wasn't for letterboxing on Dartmoor we may never have discovered geocaching. We have put some links to letterboxing on our website

http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.perton

as well as a bit about ourselves.

Although we have not completed the site yet ;) please feel free to view what is uploaded to date.

Izzy and Paul

P.S. It shouldn't be too long before the pages are completed and moved to our own site (watch this space!)