Making a Silk Purse out of a Bison Tube

I was reading some Vonnegut quotes a few weeks ago and came across this gem:

“Thanks to TV and for the convenience of TV, you can only be one of two kinds of human beings, either a liberal or a conservative.”

It got me to thinking, and of course the Geocacher spin came into my head:

“Thanks to the forums and for the convenience of the forums, you can only be one of two kinds of cachers, either a micro-lover or a micro-hater.”

It seems to me that’s where we draw the lines when it comes to some of our…umm..extreme discussions. :) But we know that’s just not true. There are some really fun micros out there and some fairly lame big caches. More than the cache itself, a lot of it comes down to the attitude of the person finding the cache.

Lame caches are a fact of life. Not everything out there can be the beautiful view or amazing hike. There are going to be some that are just plain mundane and we’re gonna find them. But what do you do to make them fun? How do you insure that—lame or not—you’re gonna have a good time, dadgum it! :P

This cache was cited in a previous thread about micros. Check out the logs from September 29, 2006. We had a blast at this cache because we chose to have a blast…and well…we were just plain goofy anyway. B)

One friend of mine told me about a series of cemetery micros they did a few years ago. Every cache was a micro, most of them the same type of container and the same type of hide. They decided to make a game of it by searching for familiar last names on the grave stones.

I know others who insist on embellishing the logs for some of the more ordinary caches they find. No, really, they do! ;)

Whatever it is, I know you can’t be out there scowling while you’re finding those caches. C’mon, what do YOU do to make the game a little more fun? B)

Bret

“Thanks to the forums and for the convenience of the forums, you can only be one of two kinds of cachers, either a micro-lover or a micro-hater.”

I can't think of one micro hater that I know personally or through these forums. I do know many people who dislike lame caches of any size.

Whatever it is, I know you can’t be out there scowling while you’re finding those caches. C’mon, what do YOU do to make the game a little more fun?

I don't scowl, but I have been known to roll my eyes and leave when I get to GZ and see the cache is in an unappealing spot.

For one thing, I don't expect the cache to entertain me. The act of geocaching is the entertainment. Sometimes a cache is less than totally exciting (actually most of the time ;) ) but, hey, I'm caching! If I really want to add more fun the trip, I go with somebody - that multiplies the enjoyment.

I'm one of those guys that's real easy to entertain. For my birthday one year, I got a card that read, "How do you keep a goober in suspense? Turn over ~~~>". It had the same thing written on the back. (or was that the front?) It kept me entertained for days. On those occassions when I discover I'm not having fun, I leave.

For me, it's totally about my attitude. I make a limited attempt at avoiding caches that I'm not in the mood for, but it's no big deal if my life isn't enriched by every one I look for.

If I'm hunting urban caches, the 'super spy' aspect of the game keeps me entertained. (I also can run errands at the same time.) I keep a look out for those cool things that I might otherwise miss, such as urban wildlife.

If I'm going after caches in the woods, I amuse myself on the way by looking for things that might make a good snapshot.

Come to think of it, the caches themselves have very little to do with whether I am having fun. There have been times when I have been caching and I've discovered that I wasn't having fun. My mind just wasn't in the game and I was unable to get myself enthused about it. On those occasions, I stopped caching and did something else.

I can't think of one micro hater that I know personally or through these forums. I do know many people who dislike lame caches of any size.

Micro haters do exist!!! My 7 yr. old son is one. :(

Seriously though, there are no micro haters here in this forum. I for one periodically upload my My Finds PQ to itsnotaboutthenumbers.com, and 28% of my finds are micros. Quite a bit less than the 36% average of all users of that website, but a significant amount.

Anyone who thinks there are any micro haters in this forum has a biased perception, are being narrow minded, and not even paying attention to what the alleged micro haters are saying.

Expectations + behavior = outcome

If you have high expectations, your behavior will reflect this and you will have a good time - regardless of what happened.

If you have low expectations, your behavior will reflect this and you will not have a good time.

Everyone remembers the bad experiences and this carries over to your personal feelings on any similar situation.

Personally I am having some lowered expectations and lost my motivation. My caching activity has dropped off.

I always try to have a good time and not get myself all worked up; I chose the cache - if I did not have a good time that is my problem. I try to find the positive in any cache I find, sometimes this is hard and sometimes it's not.

If I am caching with my "other half" I know that a single micro wont be found that day. He would MUCH rather walk 10 miles into the woods for one regular sized cache, in a memorable location, than a Wally World micro anyday. I don't mind his caching technique, as I really love the memorable locations as well.

HOWEVER, when I cache with my "regular" group of caching buddies, I can be pretty sure that 95 percent of the caches we find will be micros, just because of the locations we travel to. One of the first things we do is come up with a "nickname' for our cache run. Recently caching in Ft. Wayne, we named the day "Converging on the Fort." Not too long ago, we found a bunch of caches hidden by "Lost Scouts." That day was dubbed "Scouting the Lost Scouts"

It's fun as the day goes along, to see what other ideas we can come up with. Though we don't always remember the micro we found at that location, we sure do remember the nickname we came up with at that one.

Edited by The Herd

FOUND - F U N = LOCATED

So.. :( Nope nothing against a good micro. Just prefer to not have to hike 6 miles up a mountain to then search a rock pile for an altoids tin. Why did we go? Because the cache said 'OTHER' as the container and never mentioned the fact it was in a pile of rocks taller then I am.

People make what they want. We have had to move the belongings of homeless people to find caches because the CO thought it was fun to bring people to a homeless camp.

We have moved and picked up much trash. Appears we even CITO'd a container once because we did not know it was in the radiator parts thrown on the side of the road.

Caches will be what people want them to be. Some people truly enjoy watching the logs on a cache they placed within 3 feet of a dead cow. I just dont happen to enjoy it being the surprise when I have the 6 year old and 10 year old with me on the hunt. :anicute:

Edited to add:

~

average of micro to find count appears to be 36.6 percent micro ~ we have kept ours to 32.1 percent.. yeah!!

average of Regular size is 33.1 percent and we have 35.5 percent ~ again Yeah! :anicute:

average for large is 0.8 percent and we have a whopping 1.1 percent... Yippeee!~

Edited by ShadowAce

i would have to agree with pretty much everything i've read in this forum log so far.

but to answer the question, i think that i try to make caching about hanging out with friends. it's like going to the bar...you just feel wierd there when you are alone. also, its fun for me to make it a long ordeal and make my fiancee struggle!!! :( just kidding...

but seriously, it's mostly about hanging out with my girl and my buds...the cache is a cool reward.

but if its a lame cache...then we go to the bar...

If there's one thing I've learned from this thread it's that I need caching buddies.

Caching with others, especially when doing the Urban caches, is way more fun than going by yourself. I don't mind caching by myself on long hikes, but when I am headed towards town, if I am not going to be with others, I just leave my GPSr off. :(

:anicute:

"Thanks to the forums and for the convenience of the forums, you can only be one of two kinds of cachers, either a micro-lover or a micro-hater."

Whatever it is, I know you can't be out there scowling while you're finding those caches. C'mon, what do YOU do to make the game a little more fun?

I don't scowl, but I have been known to roll my eyes and leave when I get to GZ and see the cache is in an unappealing spot.

I'd like to put one of my favorite Vonnegut quotes into the geocaching context.... Are you ready? This is gonna be good:

Any reviewer finder who expresses rage and loathing for a novel cache is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae. Kurt Vonnegut

Gotta love that Vonnegut. What a clever guy. :(:anibad::ph34r::ph34r::anicute::anicute::unsure:

Edited by Snoogans
First off, I don't think anyone is expressing rage or loathing, just dislike. Suggesting otherwise is a fallacy.

What occurs to me is that I'd be pretty ticked off about getting a book that was touted as being the next great action/suspense novel and finding out it's a romance novel. The difference is that (unless I'm stuck somewhere with nothing else to do) I can drop the book after the first chapter & move on. Harder to do this when caching.

Edited by Too Tall John

I was reading some Vonnegut quotes a few weeks ago and came across this gem:

“Thanks to TV and for the convenience of TV, you can only be one of two kinds of human beings, either a liberal or a conservative.”

It got me to thinking, and of course the Geocacher spin came into my head:

It seems to me that’s where we draw the lines when it comes to some of our…umm..extreme discussions. ;) But we know that’s just not true. There are some really fun micros out there and some fairly lame big caches. More than the cache itself, a lot of it comes down to the attitude of the person finding the cache.

Lame caches are a fact of life. Not everything out there can be the beautiful view or amazing hike. There are going to be some that are just plain mundane and we’re gonna find them. But what do you do to make them fun? How do you insure that—lame or not—you’re gonna have a good time, dadgum it! ;)

This cache was cited in a previous thread about micros. Check out the logs from September 29, 2006. We had a blast at this cache because we chose to have a blast…and well…we were just plain goofy anyway. :)

One friend of mine told me about a series of cemetery micros they did a few years ago. Every cache was a micro, most of them the same type of container and the same type of hide. They decided to make a game of it by searching for familiar last names on the grave stones.

I know others who insist on embellishing the logs for some of the more ordinary caches they find. No, really, they do! ;)

Whatever it is, I know you can’t be out there scowling while you’re finding those caches. C’mon, what do YOU do to make the game a little more fun? :)

Bret

Hi Bret!

Wow.. you sure threw out a lot for discussion there.

You might be getting the picture by now but if you really pay attention to what people are saying, there's more people in this forum that accuse people of hating micros in order to make a point than people who actually hate them. There's some great micros out there and I don't know a single person that doesn't appreciate a well hidden micro.

Someone very astutely said a while ago that a cache is an attempt to entertain someone and I wish more people would take that to heart. I believe that a good cache can make truly make an outing better, much better. I am always curious about people that claim that a lame cache doesn't disappoint them. Anyways.. another topic.

My family usually plays a common kids game called "Huckle Buckle Beanstalk" where you spot the cache and walk away and yell the name of the game when you spot the cache. This is great fun when we invite several kids with us. If the cache is advertised as very easy, we will invoke the 50 foot rule and turn our GPS off when we get inside that distance. If it is in a scary place, I've got some ghost stories that I will share if the kids are old enough.

Last thing...I think it is doing a great disservice by embellishing a log for the fun of it on a cache you do not like. It's misleading and many people use those logs to plan their outings. Brutally honest logs are often against some folks nature but it is really a best practice.

FOUND - F U N = LOCATED

I just realized that when you subtract F U N from FOUND, you are left with OD. Do it enough, and the OD becomes plural; ODS.

Weird, huh? ;););):)

Back on topic: Lots of good points here, most especially the fact that the term "Micro-Hater" is usually an intentionally false label applied by folks who have run out of salient points to debate. By applying a false, negative label, it puts the labeled person in a position where they can either disengage from the debate to defend themselves from the false accusation, or they can continue the debate, letting the fallacy stand.

Someone very astutely said a while ago that a cache is an attempt to entertain someone and I wish more people would take that to heart. I believe that a good cache can make truly make an outing better, much better. I am always curious about people that claim that a lame cache doesn't disappoint them. Anyways.. another topic.

I agree and I certainly hope that my caches (even the micros) are entertaining. However, I have never had a problem with "making my own fun." Ask anyone who caches with me and you'll find that even at the ordinary ones we've got something to laugh at. When I'm caching on my own, yeah, the repetitious mindless caches can get annoying, but it's a day out of the office, I've got some music on and getting some air. If I'm not having fun I have no one to blame but myself.

(On second thought...don't ask people I go caching with...bad idea...forget that part)

My family usually plays a common kids game called "Huckle Buckle Beanstalk" where you spot the cache and walk away and yell the name of the game when you spot the cache. This is great fun when we invite several kids with us. If the cache is advertised as very easy, we will invoke the 50 foot rule and turn our GPS off when we get inside that distance. If it is in a scary place, I've got some ghost stories that I will share if the kids are old enough.

PERFECT example! Great ideas. This is exactly the kind of stuff I was trying to get at with this thread.

Last thing...I think it is doing a great disservice by embellishing a log for the fun of it on a cache you do not like. It's misleading and many people use those logs to plan their outings. Brutally honest logs are often against some folks nature but it is really a best practice.

You're absolutely right, but that's not really the kind of embellishing I was talking about. I guess maybe "expanding on the story" might be a better term. ;)

Bret

You're absolutely right, but that's not really the kind of embellishing I was talking about. I guess maybe "expanding on the story" might be a better term. ;)

Bret

Okay.. I suppose it would have been good to actually read your log and now that I have, I absolutely agree with you. For me, one of the greatest things about geocaching is the ability to tell the story of the find. The story you told in that log was great and sounded like you did in fact interject some fun into that hunt. It looks as if the ODS cache has now gone the way of most film canisters.

Bret

Okay.. I suppose it would have been good to actually read your log and now that I have, I absolutely agree with you. For me, one of the greatest things about geocaching is the ability to tell the story of the find. The story you told in that log was great and sounded like you did in fact interject some fun into that hunt. It looks as if the ODS cache has now gone the way of most film canisters.

That one was a seed pod.