Why are geocachers so nice?

So be nice to your fellow cacher, because you may have to face them down at a FTF attempt or chat them up at a dinner event.
I think if you could read people's thoughts at events, maybe people would be more like they are in these threads. Luckily we can't do that so events are "nice." :sad: My opinion is that just because some people are really honest with their thoughts in these threads; it doesn't mean that they aren't "nice." I actually like knowing what people really think because it helps me learn and understand things better. Hopefully, when I meet the the folks I've been very honest with (and admittedly maybe too honest), we can forget about our differences, shake hands and have a beer together. :P

Huh? Beer? Yes, let's shake hands and have a beer. :anicute:

Anytime! :tired:

My theory was ALMOST touched upon in a previous post - but I'll expand and expound a little.

I've been to six annual events and talked with a lot of cachers - both online and in person. Consider the first hide of Dave Ulmer. He thought of a neat idea, and then hid something for someone else's enjoyment. That's what cache hiders do. They hide things for other people to find with no hope for repayment other than "thanks" and a full log book. Why are cache's hidden? Because someone wants to share an experience with someone else.

There are VERY few hobbies/intersts these days that smack of altruism while giving someone a nifty time with their family or exercising in the outside. I have two such hobbies and enjoy both immensely.

I can't say much for the person that has 1,000 finds and no hides. But if you've placed a single cache, then you've hoped to give someone else pleasure at finding that container (for whatever reason).

Isn't that a neat premise on which to build a game?

And doesn't that answer why really nice people are drawn to it?

Edited by Markwell

I have met a cacher who was a Curmudgeon.

She was a Curmudgeonlygal.

She used to post here often. Now she stays away. She grew tired of other cachers sending emails berating her honest appraisal of caches.

She has broken free of the bonds of this obsession and is no longer Curmudgeonly.

Actually she posts pretty regular in Hiking and backpacking section.If we're referring to the same girl.

Yup, it's the same girl. She used to be real active in these parts, until about a year or so ago. She also used to come to our events, but didn't attend the last three.

Anyway--OT, we have a real fuss-pot in this neck of the woods. There aren't too many folks that I know that have much to do with him. If you want to learn how to be a PITA, he can give lessons....

How can you NOT love these guys?! :P

To the OP: you might notice my .sig. It is my all-time fave piece of 'hate-mail'. (Unfortunately, even with the kind words of Ironman, I fear I'm only pretending to be more tolerant of crappy hides these days. I had a bad-attitude experience last week which was rather alarming for me. I really thought I was cured.)

And... the hiking and backpacking forum is daBomb!!

And to that last guy... don't get your x's and y's mixed up! That could lead to something rather embarassing.

michelle

To the OP: you might notice my .sig. It is my all-time fave piece of 'hate-mail'. (Unfortunately, even with the kind words of Ironman, I fear I'm only pretending to be more tolerant of crappy hides these days. I had a bad-attitude experience last week which was rather alarming for me. I really thought I was cured.)

Nice sig.

So what is the proper way to criticize a poor hide?

I have met a cacher who was a Curmudgeon.

She was a Curmudgeonlygal.

She used to post here often. Now she stays away. She grew tired of other cachers sending emails berating her honest appraisal of caches.

She has broken free of the bonds of this obsession and is no longer Curmudgeonly.

Actually she posts pretty regular in Hiking and backpacking section.If we're referring to the same girl.

Yup, it's the same girl. She used to be real active in these parts, until about a year or so ago. She also used to come to our events, but didn't attend the last three.

Anyway--OT, we have a real fuss-pot in this neck of the woods. There aren't too many folks that I know that have much to do with him. If you want to learn how to be a PITA, he can give lessons....

How can you NOT love these guys?! :P

And... the hiking and backpacking forum is daBomb!!

And to that last guy... don't get your x's and y's mixed up! That could lead to something rather embarassing.

michelle

Curmudegeonly Gal, it is wonderful to see you back in the forums! I have missed your posts and your presence here, and in the interim, driven by my own demons, I have tried my best to be as curmudgeonly as possible on these forums and elsewhere. I wish you the best in all that you do! :anicute:

P.S. Apologies to all for the slightly off-topic nature of my post, but please do note for the record that the term "curmudgeon" apeared in my post above at least twice!

Glad your experience has been positive. If you do meet some grumpy cachers, don't let it affect your opinion of the hobby, just imagine they simply had a DNF. :P

And don't let your future experiences on the forum color your views either. This place can be pretty harsh, as has been pointed out already.

happy caching! :anicute:

I'm a "closet curmudgeon" but I work in tech support so I have to be nice to folks - even if I think they are horrendously stupid. (Work in tech support a while - you'll see what I mean.)

Normally I'm an outgoing and gregarious guy. I talk to checkers in the store. I talk to folks in the line at the store. I probably make them all crazy. However, I really don't like most people. They are generally a stupid lot and piss me off regularly. I deal with folks with Masters degrees who are so freaking stupid I can't belive they manage to get dressed in the morning without putting both legs in the same sleeve.......

I guess Geocachers are just a friendly bunch so I tend to get along with them. Also, I don't have to offer them tech support.......

Pretty much without exception, every cacher I've met has been congenial and helpful.

However, I hope it doesn't make ME a curmudgeon to observe that (like many other internet venues) this forum seems to bring out the "combative" in some...something about anonymity. Early on, I found myself sucked into some never-ending debate on a hot-button topic. Since then, the best decision I've made was to limit the time I spend reviewing the forum, and limit the topics that I bother to read.

Those who can, cache. Those that can't, play on the forums. Given a choice, I'd rather be caching.

Enjoy the hunt.

I'm a "closet curmudgeon" but I work in tech support so I have to be nice to folks - even if I think they are horrendously stupid. (Work in tech support a while - you'll see what I mean.)

Normally I'm an outgoing and gregarious guy. I talk to checkers in the store. I talk to folks in the line at the store. I probably make them all crazy. However, I really don't like most people. They are generally a stupid lot and piss me off regularly. I deal with folks with Masters degrees who are so freaking stupid I can't belive they manage to get dressed in the morning without putting both legs in the same sleeve.......

I guess Geocachers are just a friendly bunch so I tend to get along with them. Also, I don't have to offer them tech support.......

We have a winner.

No clue what I'm talking about?Check here. :P

Edited by vtmtnman

:P Part of my job is to support the Tier2/Tier 3 guys when they run across new issues. I really enjoy talking to those guys because they have the funniest stories. One of my favorite sayings is a George Bernard Shaw quote: "My way of joking is to tell the truth, it's the funniest joke in the world."