Routes not working

dbased

Since last week sometime (since the website update?), I've been trying to upload a .KMZ (I've tried a few different ones) to create a route. Everytime I upload I get the error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

How can I fix this? Are routes just not working since the website update?

I believe you're supposed to save it as a .kml and upload that, not the .kmz.

My recollection is that .KMZ used to work, but I do see the prompt is for .KML. However, I tried a .KML and got the same result...

Edited by dbased

The KML/KMZ reader only supports one route at the moment. If you have GPX that has multiple tracks/routes it will read those though.

I just created a KML and KMZ file and uploaded both and it worked with out issue.

-Raine

I have a route that I have used in the past and it no longer works :anicute:

I uploaded again to double check and it looks good until I try to use it for a PQ. The it gives me one of the following, 60% of the route with an odd turn heading where there are no roads, a general view of all the states with no route, or the world (with no route) which is nice, but not helpful. I have tested the same route which worked last summer and I have recreated the route as well. Both files look good until they are used for a PQ.

Any thoughts? I am perplexed...

MandaL in Cincinnati

HELP! I am sure that something must be wrong - we are getting ready to go on vacation and I am using the same route file I used last year which worked great - now Geocaching.com's connection to google maps shows the route making a serious u-turn into the middle of nowhere and driving accross lakes - not likely.

I pulled it up on Google earth, and it looks great I upload the old KML file and then preview it – still looks right. I save it then look at the Route information and the route is wrong again. Arrrgh.

Worst part is that I deleted the old PQ and route files because I thought they were screwed up and now have to start over (and we leave on vacation Sunday bright & early).

HELP!

MandaL ;)

HELP! I am sure that something must be wrong - we are getting ready to go on vacation and I am using the same route file I used last year which worked great - now Geocaching.com's connection to google maps shows the route making a serious u-turn into the middle of nowhere and driving accross lakes - not likely.

I pulled it up on Google earth, and it looks great I upload the old KML file and then preview it – still looks right. I save it then look at the Route information and the route is wrong again. Arrrgh.

Worst part is that I deleted the old PQ and route files because I thought they were screwed up and now have to start over (and we leave on vacation Sunday bright & early).

HELP!

MandaL :)

OK - here is something else interesting - I tried to look at another user's Cinti to Gatlinburg route, and it does not work either. For example CODAventure has one that is published that I tried to use and I get the same results. Also, I can run the route in 2 segments (205 miles & 95 miles) and it works, but put the pieces togerther - nada.

yuck.

MandaL :)

Hi, I'm having similar problems to what "mandalucas" is having. I started a thread in my local UK forum here. So far I've had a couple of responses, one of which bought me to this topic. Here's the problem I'm having:-

I've just created a couple of routes, one of which worked fine, the other didn't. The one that didn't work was 374 miles long with 327 waypoints and ran along the north cornwall coast and beyond. When I imported it and checked the preview, all was fine. However, after running a pocket query, the route now wanders off into mid wales and is now 372.26 miles long with only 281 waypoints! :blink:

I have also looked at the "Latest Routes" section and noticed that at least one of the "Random Route of the Moment" also appears to go way off track.

To clarify my problem:-

When I go to the "Upload GPX / KML" tab and upload a GPX file of my route, there is a preview link which brings up a small map image of my route. When I click it I get this CORRECT route:-

Correctroute.jpg

However, afterwards when I go to the "Your Created Routes" tabs and click on the route link, it brings up a slightly larger map with this INCORRECT image:-

Incorrectroute.jpg

Has anyone else had this problem or know what might be wrong? It looks like it's only a recent problem, but as with "mandalucas", I'm planning a trip soon and could really do with them working.

Cheers :(

After the recent upgrade, I noticed one of my routes got scrambled. I deleted it, uploaded a new version and all was fine. I also noticed that a new route appeared on my list that I never created and it was also scrambled. I deleted it since I never intend to use it anyway.

After the recent upgrade, I noticed one of my routes got scrambled. I deleted it, uploaded a new version and all was fine. I also noticed that a new route appeared on my list that I never created and it was also scrambled. I deleted it since I never intend to use it anyway.

Thanks, but these were only created today. :blink:

I have already tried re-uploading them but had the same result. Maybe I need to try a quiet period?

I'll add my voice to the chorus...I'm seeing the same issue.

I first noticed the problem with an old route that used to work and now does not. I was intrigued so I dissected the KML files coming out of Google Earth and noticed that while the Geocaching upload page may say that a route only has, say, 100 waypoints, in fact the KML file usually has about 10-15 times that number in the <coordinates> meta tag.

So seemingly, GC.com is condensing the KML data somehow--perhaps this mechanism is broken?

Having noticed that, I created some custom paths in Google Earth that were under 100 points and verified that the total points in the KML were actually <100 and that it matched the tally shown in the GC.com preview page. I created 3 slightly different paths for the same route (all <100 points, <150 miles)--one of them loaded correctly, the other two still had the same problem. I could find no discernible difference that would account for the sporadic success. (Also tried loading each one three times, performance was the same on each attempt--i.e. the one that worked worked each time, the others failed the same way each time).

I also can't export a route from GC.com as a GPX or KML.

Anyway, IMHO this is definitely broken, but you may have some limited success by creating hand drawn paths in Google Earth and trying to upload those, instead of relying on the routes that are generated by the directions finder. I used the auto-generated route to guide my drawing of a custom path--it's a bit tedious, especially for a lengthy route, but it has better odds of working.

I'm having issues with even uploading a KML file. Once I have browsed to the file and hit the upload button the screen refreshes but the file doesn't appear. I have tried this with very short routes and the same thing is occuring. Not sure what is going on.

I'm having issues with even uploading a KML file. Once I have browsed to the file and hit the upload button the screen refreshes but the file doesn't appear. I have tried this with very short routes and the same thing is occuring. Not sure what is going on.

I just tried it again and it worked fine. I made the routes <100 points and that seemed to work.

I have a few for which the route on the google map does not show up at all. I have deleted all the ones I had that were baltantly wrong (that was a few weeks ago). It's been broken for a while but it seems to be limping along. I would love to see a repair.

Thanks Raine,

For when you get to this:

I just now created one: AuburnCA RenoCarsonNV PlacervilleCA

which I made public. For this one, the route does not show up on the google map at the route page.

(I don't know yet if it will work OK as it has not run yet.)

This one was created by fusing two kml files from Google Earth.

I was having the same problem with a route I made from Topeka, KS to Kearney, NE in Google Maps (grabbing data with GmapToGPX). I was using the simplify filter in gpsbabel to attempt to reduce the number of route points. Once I stopped doing that, the route appeared to work-but after a certain point, all of the route seemed to be shifted about a half mile south and a quarter mile east.

EDIT: Same thing with a route straight out of Google Earth.

Edited by BlueNinja

Just an FYI - even though they don't "look" right, they appear to still work - as long as you trust it.

Mandalucas

I made a route and found all caches within .1 mile of it using GSAK, and used a cache right off the road as a reference. I uploaded the same GPX that was used as an arc filter, and previewed a pocket query of it. I gave it a tolerance of .25 miles-which should have included the reference cache. It didn't. The route appeared well over .25 miles away from the actual road on Google Maps.

I'll be using arc filters in GSAK this summer, I guess.

I got some help via the web site by generating a ticket. Suggested I disable my pewter protection, delete cookies, etc., etc. It worked. Thank you!

:blink: Tried all that, still got wacky results. Improvised and ran 2 PQs that were shorter (205 & 95) and displayed correctly then combined in GSAK. See you all again after vacation - hope you figure it out while I am gone!

Mandalucas/NotMilk!

:rolleyes: Tried all that, still got wacky results. Improvised and ran 2 PQs that were shorter (205 & 95) and displayed correctly then combined in GSAK. See you all again after vacation - hope you figure it out while I am gone!

Mandalucas/NotMilk!

Any further progress on this? I suspect it's related to the no. of points???

Any further progress on this? I suspect it's related to the no. of points???

Sadly, some routes still don't work and I don't think it related to the number of points. Or, if it is, it is something new about the way the kml file is being read. I tried to use a kml file that I used last summer and it no longer works. odd...

NotMilk! (aka Mandalucas)

Still doesn't work. I created a route in Google Earth as I have done before. Uploaded it, previewed it and all was find. Saved it and then looked at it again and while it started out ok, it took a sudden turn south and went somewhere entirely different and far from where it was supposed to go.

Just a note that complicated routes still Server Error in '/' Application error. In fact, I have new variant of the problem today. I have route which I was able to save, but when I attempt to create a pocket query from it, I get the error. However, it gets saved to my list of pocket queries anyway! If I try to edit the pocket query, I get the Server Error in '/' Application error. However, the pocket query does run and I get the results emailed to me! I looked at the results in Google Earth and they are what I expect.

Just a note that complicated routes still Server Error in '/' Application error. In fact, I have new variant of the problem today. I have route which I was able to save, but when I attempt to create a pocket query from it, I get the error. However, it gets saved to my list of pocket queries anyway! If I try to edit the pocket query, I get the Server Error in '/' Application error. However, the pocket query does run and I get the results emailed to me! I looked at the results in Google Earth and they are what I expect.

I don't think it is just complicated routes. My results were the same today on a fairly straightforward route. In my case, I downloaded a .kml file from Google earth for a route, the preview was OK, but when I wanted to save the route I was shown a map without a route marked HUNDREDS of miles away...my route is in Montana, the map I received was in Washington state! I scrolled WAY over to where my route was supposed to be and there wasn't a route mapped anywhere. I thought "what the heck" and saved the route anyways. But when I tried to create a PQ, I received the Server Error in '/' Application error. After reading this (above) post, I checked my e-mail and my query was there (surprised!), but when I tried to edit i received this error:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Queue empty.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Queue empty.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[invalidOperationException: Queue empty.]

System.Collections.Queue.Dequeue() +110

Groundspeak.Web.UserRoutes.UserRoutePoints.EncodeSignedNumber(Decimal num) +269

Groundspeak.Web.UserRoutes.UserRoutePoints.EncodeLatLong() +339

Geocaching.UI.URQuery.ShowQueryInfo() +711

Geocaching.UI.URQuery.Page_UserLoggedIn(Object sender, EventArgs e) +782

Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.IsLoggedIn() +1314

Geocaching.UI.URQuery.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +515

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +750

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300

Query Empty? Hmmmm??? Any way I can delete this query now since I can't get into the edit area?

Thanks for any help....

shell618

Getting what seems to be 'typical' results here:

• Created my KML in GoogleEarth
  • Uploaded it
  • Previewed fine (nice, simple route around Lake Ontario into Toronto)
  • When turning it into a PQ, 2/3 along the route, it suddenly juts out into the lake
  • Comes up with ZERO caches, so 'trusting' it doesn't work either.

So, from what I've seen in this thread, it seems that route-PQs have been broken for close to a month. Be nice to see some kind of official response somewhere.

I will start to investigate this once I'm done with the cache details page.

-Raine

Hi Raine,

Have you had any luck investigating what is wrong with the "caches along a route" feature? :lol:

I'm still having problems with routes even though they are around 270 miles and 200 points - well below the 500 limit.

Any response would be greatly appreciated as I need the routes for a trip in just over two weeks time. :lol:

Thanks and regards ;):lol:

I've also seen this with routes uploaded as GPX files. I uploaded three routes a few days ago, and tried to create a PQ from the first of them. I've now got four dud PQs in my list. Luckily I hadn't set them to run any day soon, and they're the only ones in my PQ list which have never run...

When I try to edit them the error spew I get looks like this

Queue empty.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Queue empty.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[InvalidOperationException: Queue empty.]
  System.Collections.Queue.Dequeue() +110
  Groundspeak.Web.UserRoutes.UserRoutePoints.EncodeSignedNumber(Decimal num) +269
  Groundspeak.Web.UserRoutes.UserRoutePoints.EncodeLatLong() +339
  Geocaching.UI.URQuery.ShowQueryInfo() +711
  Geocaching.UI.URQuery.Page_UserLoggedIn(Object sender, EventArgs e) +781
  Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.IsLoggedIn() +1315
  Geocaching.UI.URQuery.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +515
  System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67
  System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35
  System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +750

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300

So I was doing my first route and then the website went down. Well now it is back up and I uploaded my route all is good with that part, but I went to run a PQ of the route and the little preview map of the route is wrong.

Now I understand it is a known problem. So if I run my PQ will it also be on wrong route like the map?

So I was doing my first route and then the website went down. Well now it is back up and I uploaded my route all is good with that part, but I went to run a PQ of the route and the little preview map of the route is wrong.

Now I understand it is a known problem. So if I run my PQ will it also be on wrong route like the map?

Why not try the preview function to see if it looks like it's selecting the right caches?

(Sorry I can't be more specific...but I can't even get a route to upload now. Thank heaven for GSAK.)

Why not try the preview function to see if it looks like it's selecting the right caches?

(Sorry I can't be more specific...but I can't even get a route to upload now. Thank heaven for GSAK.)

Thank you. I did run the PQ and did the preview and it put caches along the correct map route and not the wrong way like the little preview map. :o

Hmmm... One of my routes gets previewed as if it was several thousand miles from where it should be, and another takes a strange detour across the Channel to Le Havre. There's no way I can delete the PQs that got created when I got the error spew like the block in my earlier post above, and I can't delete the (presumably corrupted) route until the PQs have gone... :o

I was getting the same server error for all my old route pq even my new ones. In the url I switched pocket/urquery with seek/nearest and quid with pq and the page displays. It works for all queries that displays the server error.

It allows you to run the PQ, but does nothing to help you edit or delete it...

Has the "Server Error in '/' Application. Queue empty." problem been reported to the GC.com maintainers?

I was getting the same server error for all my old route pq even my new ones. In the url I switched pocket/urquery with seek/nearest and quid with pq and the page displays. It works for all queries that displays the server error.

It allows you to run the PQ, but does nothing to help you edit or delete it...

Has the "Server Error in '/' Application. Queue empty." problem been reported to the GC.com maintainers?

I reported it and was told the development team is looking into it.