Logging co-owned caches

Hey, I couldn't find this in the forums but...I have helped set up and caches with another cacher and my name is listed as co-owner....These caches come up as not found by myself....

So I was wondering if it is acceptable to log these caches as found now that they have been found by other cachers? ;)

Edited by hike n'bike

You could put that cache on your Ignore list, then it wouldn't show up in your Searches or in your PQs.

Or . . . you could do what one guy here did on a really great cache he co-owned with someone who had credit for the Hide. He logged a find on it, dating it back a couple of years when the cache was new, thinking no one would see his "Found it" log . . . forgetting there were 30 people "Watching" the cache. :P:);)

Before jumping on the OP, how about asking a question first?

WHat exactly do you mean by "help set up"?

Thank You..At last a voice in the darkness that looks before he leaps..

I helped with the coordinates and because he is not completely "computer savvy" I helped with the cache page....So I was there when the cache was placed and my name is listed as co-owner......

I also did not realize that I could set these caches on an ignore list...will definately look into that.....

It is just that I don't like to see them come up on my search page as a "not found"

Edited by hike n'bike

I helped with the coordinates and because he is not completely "computer savvy" I helped with the cache page....So I was there when the cache was placed and my name is listed as co-owner......

I also did not realize that I could set these caches on an ignore list...will definately look into that.....

It is just that I don't like to see them come up on my search page as a "not found"

Most folks around here log those caches as "beta-testers."
I mean you really didn't "find" anything as you knew where it was all along.
No offense but with this logic nobody that has been been around the block a few times should log an LPC. You know exactly where they are before you ever get out of your car.... ;) Edited by TrailGators

If you are on a hike with someone and they hide a cache during the trek, the others in the group will "Beta-test" the coordinates to make sure they are correct. These people will not log their find on the cache until after the FTF, and they mention they were "Beta Testers."

The "Puritans" will look down on this practice, but that is done routinely around here. ;)

Most folks around here log those caches as "beta-testers."
Ok now I am going to be dumb here but what is a "beta-tester"? And I had to go look up LPC but now I get that...makes sense...too easy..almost like it is always in the stump LOL
A beta-tester is one that tests out the new cache location. I have given my new cache coords to people that were along with me when I hid the cache to make sure those coords work. Of course, I always tell them to cover their eyes ehen I'm hiding it. :P Anyhow, they get credit for the find, but not the FTF. ;) Edited by TrailGators

Well I have wondered this myself. Id say if you want to log it have your name removed from the listing. Or just state in your log that you are logging this because.....

I dont think there are any rules, just morals involved. I dont like to see unchecked caches in my local cache pages either. But I have only added names to the "placed by" of my caches and they have not logged them as found...But he wants too!

It was not his cache or his idea, but he did help me run around finding some "Original swag" for it (It was tribute to the OG stash) then helped me find the great hide for it. So I listed as placed by me and him. When he goes out to find it, Im sure he will log that he helped place it. Dont know how wrong or right this is, but being the owner I wouldnt mind...and its not his cache nor is he co-owner, he just helped place it is all.

I think its just looks bad, and if you C.Y.A. I think it would be fine as long as the log stated that you helped with it, or if its a big deal, just have your buddy change the "placed by" to his name only.

If anyone really cares enough to gripe about it, then they should have better things to gripe about and take it how ever you will...There are always gonna be people to tell you, how they think things should be, use your best judgement and things should be fine.

This is just my opinion- I dont know "the rules" here, but many think they do...Play it out and do what you like...Its just a silly Log on a cache is all! Heck Id even say you deserve it just for helping with it!

Just dont go and log your own!...Thats definatley cheatin! Although I did just adopt 2 caches and the old owner found em before headin home (She was a student and wanted to grab em on the way home) I didnt mind- Its just a log, in what is now my cache!-No Biggie...Shes happy!

Actually, I was thinking the same thing when I first posted, didnt bother asking myself though.

I say, if you dont know the exact location, or how the cache is exactly hidden, I would just wait till FTF logs it, then go ahead and log it once you've found it.

Come to think of it I have never logged the caches I own. Hold on... I'll be right back.

That's twice you have failed to understand.....I definately do not need the negative input as I was just asking a question that appears to have a lot of people wondering about.........and some with good suggestions and ideas.... Thank You

I also noticed that you adopted a cache that you have logged.....perhaps you should delete that log as a find?

Edited by hike n'bike

Hey, I couldn't find this in the forums but...I have helped set up and caches with another cacher and my name is listed as co-owner....These caches come up as not found by myself....

So I was wondering if it is acceptable to log these caches as found now that they have been found by other cachers? ;)

We have a couple of local well-known cachers who do just that at times with their own caches. Amazes me, but I am not here to judge! :P:)

We have a couple of local well-known cachers who do just that at times with their own caches. Amazes me, but I am not here to judge! :):P

I won't log my own caches with one minor exception. I did log "attended" at my one event because I wanted that event to show up in my attended event list. Plus I did "attend" it. B) Edited by TrailGators

A cacher friend of mine adopted a cache that was missing. I went with him to replace it. He owns it, I don't. I drove, we took my bikes to make the 2 mile bike ride into the cache location. He found the spot where the cache was supposed to go, I helped him hide the replacement box. Along the way I almost stepped on a rattlesnake. It was a fun, adventurous time. I wrote about it on the cache page with a note, not a "found it" log. Since I helped him hide the cache and know where it is, I don't think a "find" is appropriate. Some folks feel otherwise. As for me, I had a good time, that's all that matters.

A cacher friend of mine adopted a cache that was missing. I went with him to replace it. He owns it, I don't. I drove, we took my bikes to make the 2 mile bike ride into the cache location. He found the spot where the cache was supposed to go, I helped him hide the replacement box. Along the way I almost stepped on a rattlesnake. It was a fun, adventurous time. I wrote about it on the cache page with a note, not a "found it" log. Since I helped him hide the cache and know where it is, I don't think a "find" is appropriate. Some folks feel otherwise. As for me, I had a good time, that's all that matters.
I can totally understand people doing it that way and it is fine with me. But I want to point out another "find" concept. I have a virtual on top of San Jacinto. Everyone knows where the spot is because I show a photo of myself next to the altitude sign at the peak. That is also how I ask people to prove they were there. So people happily post photos of themselves because it is quite a journey, and they log a find because they found "the spot." So to me it's the same difference with beta-test caches. I was there and I signed the log! ;) Maybe my logic is whack but then all of us San Diegans must be whack. :P

So I was wondering if it is acceptable to log these caches as found now that they have been found by other cachers? :P

We have a couple of local well-known cachers who do just that at times with their own caches. Amazes me, but I am not here to judge! :);)

OOps...quoted the wrong post. Directed at the OP.

I found it before I adopted it. From what you have said,if I understand, you are worried about a not found on a search list. You said you were there when the cache was placed so logging a find seems ridiculous to me.To be honest I really don't think it makes a hill of beans how you handle this. You can even log all of my caches if you want. I won't delete your logs.

Edited by CSpenceFLY

I helped my oldest daughter set up Mogwai's Mighty Multi. I was there for each stage, suggesting locations and layout. At the time, I knew exactly where each one was. That was 1.5 years ago. Today, there is no way I could find any of the stages, or the final, without hopping through the same hoops as any other cacher. If the need comes up for a maintenance run on this cache, and she's off at college, I will have no qualms about logging a find, once I find it.

I helped my oldest daughter set up Mogwai's Mighty Multi. I was there for each stage, suggesting locations and layout. At the time, I knew exactly where each one was. That was 1.5 years ago. Today, there is no way I could find any of the stages, or the final, without hopping through the same hoops as any other cacher. If the need comes up for a maintenance run on this cache, and she's off at college, I will have no qualms about logging a find, once I find it.

That probably would apply to half my caches. I've had to search long and hard for several of my caches during maint runs. One I haven't been able to find in 3 trips, though others seem to have no problem. Still, I wouldn't log them. Just doesn't seem right to me.

Most of my friends and I have an agreement. (Since the caches in question for us are normally all day trips of off road and hiking)

Wild & Woolsey by AZcachemeister & ShadowAce (GCRCZ0)

Old Enough to Know Better by AZcachemeister, AZgeckogirl & ShadowAce (GCRD0D)

Lonely, but not woosey (Woolsey View) by AZcachemeister, AZgeckogirl and ShadowAce (GCR3FE)

South Butte! aka The Fool on the Hill by AZcachemeister, AZgeckogirl and ShadowAce (GCM8MK)

The Ballard of the Mule by ShadowAce and AzCachemeister (GCZCN4)

If you want a find on a cache we placed together, then you wait till someone has found it + 1 month. Then you hike back to it.

Let the purists complain, but tell you what, if you climb any of these twice, you deserve a smiley :anicute:

I do not log a find if present when it was placed, unless I come back. Most times it is moved and rehidden by previous cachers anyways. :(

At the end of the day, whether a cache is logged as a 'find' is based solely* on the agreement between cache owner and logger. If you want to log it as a find and the other guy thinks it's fine, go for it. It doesn't affect me in the least.

*TPTB may step in if they think agregious actions are being taken. This thread does not address those issues.

It kind of hit me today how funny these threads can be. It's kind of like a bunch of kids playing in the sandbox, and one of them throws some sand and another one throws sand back at that one. Then they are start throwing sand and then Mom or Dad moderators must step in. It's the same basic pattern over and over again. What are we doing? :anicute:

Anyhow, back when I was in college, I used to play a lot of eight ball. The rules for eight ball changed depending on what bar you went to. You always made sure that the rules were clear before you played the game so no fights broke out. Most bars played "No slop," but some didn't. Some played "last pocket" and some didn't. Some played that you had to bank the eightball and some didn't. The point is that the game had many variations. I didn't like some of the variations, so I hung out at the bars that played by the rules that I preferred. So I think many of us are in different bars. What we should all do is grab a beer and mellow out because some of these picune things are really not that important in the scheme of things. :(

Edited by TrailGators

So I was wondering if it is acceptable to log these caches as found now that they have been found by other cachers? :(

You have 3 options.

1) Log it as found. However it's best if you are not listed as a co owner when you do this.

2) Put it on your ignore lise.

3) Ignore it anyway but do neither.

#1 solves a problem in that you really don't get credit for hiding the cache even if you are a co owner. It also clears it from your caches not found list. (If you did have actual credit for hiding it...it wouldn't be on this list either).

#2 doesn't solve the credit issue like #1 but it does clear it from your caches not found list if that's the issue.

#3 Is viable if you are seldom if ever in the area.

The real solution is for caches to actually have listed co-owners where both get credit for hiding the chache. Similar to how a lot of people get credit for finding it. Since we don't have the real solution we have to make do with the options we have.

my august opinion:

if you saw it before it was hidden, you do not log it as found.

if you are listed as a co-owner for reasons that do not involve knowing where it is, you may log it.

if you adopted it and then you had to find it on your own, you may log it.

if someone moves your cache so that you do not know where it is, you will be tempted to log it as found but should not.

if you find it before it is published using coordinates provided to you by the hider for purposes of checking the cache for accuracy, you may log it as found but you are not the FTF; you are the beta tester.

if you find a cache before it is published without inside information, you are a poacher and not only may you log it as found, but you are very clever and to be congratulated. or lucky.

if you are finding a cache on which you are listed as an owner and you prefer to escape general derision, you should probably explain yourself in the log, e.g., bob moved outta town and asked me if i'd take over this cache on fordsaken mountain and since i'd never been up here before, i had to find it when i came up in the spreing to do maintenance. it took me four hours to find and the coordinates were off by 200 feet.

That probably would apply to half my caches.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Sticking by the oft quoted dictionary version of "Found", I've found mine several times. I agree that it wouldn't feel right to log my own. When the hypothetical maintenance run occurs on her cache, if it feels hinky, I won't log it. If it has the feel of a "find", (which I suspect it will), I might.

OK I am in a similar type situation. Our local caching group went on a hike and durring that hike we (like 6 of us) hid a new cache. I know exactly where it is so I won't log a found on it. BUT my wife and son were NOT on that hike so they can go find it without me. Should I log that as a find since we use a team name?

OK I am in a similar type situation. Our local caching group went on a hike and durring that hike we (like 6 of us) hid a new cache. I know exactly where it is so I won't log a found on it. BUT my wife and son were NOT on that hike so they can go find it without me. Should I log that as a find since we use a team name?

sure. mention in your log that you personally are recused and that it was your wife and son finding it under your team name.