A plea to cease pointless threads

Mr'D

Nope, and you've just started another one!
I had already considered that before posting... but mine isn't pointless.

This is a Geocaching forum, and the objective of my post is to solicit vote of those, whom I suspect are the silent majority, who find some recent posts well off-topic.

Popcorn comes to mind.

Jon

Personally, I like reading humorous threads like the popcorn one occasionally. Out of all the forums I belong to, this is undoubtedly the one where people are most restrained and the posts are most on topic! I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but a little lighthearted banter now and then keeps it interesting instead of being purely technical. (IMHO, of course) :)

;):P

Thread hijack! If you see a thread you believe to be pointless, try to steer it towards something more to your liking. For example, if there were a cache here would you try to visit it if you happened to be in the general area, or would the lack of roads put you off? That's the UK's most remote pub, by the way.

I think there are too many but it is up to the mods on the board to say what goes and what does not.

Most of the time I think they get it right. :P

While I quite understand what the OP is saying, we (moderators) try to err on the side of allowing threads rather than banning them. I would rather allow a dozen pointless but otherwise harmless threads than run the risk of banning one which could develop into a legitimate discussion.

As a Firefox user I make use of the "ignore" button for quite a few threads (yes I know I really ought to read EVERY post but sometimes the will to live takes over ;)).

On balance I'll leave things alone for the time being.

Well it helps keeps us amused whilst we wait for something interesting to come up for discussion. Things have been pretty dull lately. I keep hitting F5 in the hope that something exciting is going to happen. B)B):P;)

PS Did you know that you can't click all 27 emoticons displayed in one posting?

There's loads more than 27 if you click "show all" :P

I've just tried to post them all but got this message - "You have posted a message with more emoticons that this board allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message"

I think there are too many but it is up to the mods on the board to say what goes and what does not.

Most of the time I think they get it right. ;)

While I quite understand what the OP is saying, we (moderators) try to err on the side of allowing threads rather than banning them. I would rather allow a dozen pointless but otherwise harmless threads than run the risk of banning one which could develop into a legitimate discussion.

As a Firefox user I make use of the "ignore" button for quite a few threads (yes I know I really ought to read EVERY post but sometimes the will to live takes over :)).

Rather than ban them, could they be moved to the off topic forum?

Most of the time I think they get it right. :unsure:

As a Firefox user I make use of the "ignore" button for quite a few threads (yes I know I really ought to read EVERY post but sometimes the will to live takes over :anicute:).

:anicute: I use Firefox at home (this is lunchtime on IE now) but I've not seen an 'Ignore' button. So now from this pointless thread I'm going to look for it tonight. See, a pointless thread was of some use after all. Things should stay as they are. :anibad::(

I am just suggesting to my manager that we have an 'off-topic'/'pointless conversation' room set up at work. I'll move his desk in tomorrow :anicute:

:( I met with my manager last week to talk about how many hours each part of my work takes me. He was totting it up at the end, and he said something like... "right, five hours, for that, 10 hours for that, 5 hours for general office crap..."

How true! :anicute:

Most of the time I think they get it right. :(

As a Firefox user I make use of the "ignore" button for quite a few threads (yes I know I really ought to read EVERY post but sometimes the will to live takes over :P).

:rolleyes: I use Firefox at home (this is lunchtime on IE now) but I've not seen an 'Ignore' button. So now from this pointless thread I'm going to look for it tonight. See, a pointless thread was of some use after all. Things should stay as they are. :P;)

LordElph's geocaching forum tools greasemonkey script.

If you don't have Greasemonkey, I highly suggest you install it, and take a look through some of the tools noted here.

Thread hijack! If you see a thread you believe to be pointless, try to steer it towards something more to your liking. For example, if there were a cache here would you try to visit it if you happened to be in the general area, or would the lack of roads put you off? That's the UK's most remote pub, by the way.

We went there last year and I was temping to place a cache there, but living in London suggested that it wasn't a good idea. ;)

We went there last year and I was temping to place a cache there, but living in London suggested that it wasn't a good idea. ;)

...whooops, sorry, it's on topic ;)

Lack of roads? I can definitely see a road. This pub has no roads to it. You can get a ferry there, or walk there though ;)

Most of the time I think they get it right. :)

As a Firefox user I make use of the "ignore" button for quite a few threads (yes I know I really ought to read EVERY post but sometimes the will to live takes over :)).

:) I use Firefox at home (this is lunchtime on IE now) but I've not seen an 'Ignore' button. So now from this pointless thread I'm going to look for it tonight. See, a pointless thread was of some use after all. Things should stay as they are. :):)

LordElph's geocaching forum tools greasemonkey script.

If you don't have Greasemonkey, I highly suggest you install it, and take a look through some of the tools noted here.

Thanks for advice.

Lack of roads? I can definitely see a road. This pub has no roads to it. You can get a ferry there, or walk there though :)

Or this one

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=48...3&ay=187155