Event Cache Questions

Phatfish16

Hi all, I've been geocaching for a few years now but I’ve never actually gone to an event cache, however I notice them when I search for caches near me. What's the deal with event caches? Are they just a bunch of friends getting together? Is there actually caching going on? Are they typically open to anyone? Could I show up if I post a note prior to the event that I plan on showing up? How come the event remains listed after the actual date of the event? How come sometimes on these events, there are TBs and other trackables listed in the event cache inventory; is there a requirement to listing an event cache to actually leave a physical cache at the cords once the event is over? (Some of this may be answered in the event description itself.)

What's the difference between a CITO, event, mega-event? What's a Project Ape Cache? (I've gotten the definitions from the site, but they're not very clear on all the little intricacies and etiquettes associate with these types of caches/gatherings.)

I'm just looking for insight and opinions. Thanks in advance to anyone who can hook me up with their thoughts!

Hi all, I've been geocaching for a few years now but I’ve never actually gone to an event cache, however I notice them when I search for caches near me. What's the deal with event caches? Are they just a bunch of friends getting together?

No - event caches are open to anybody that wants to come - the purpose should be to discuss caching.
Is there actually caching going on?
Sometimes the organizers will plant some temporary caches just for fun but they have no actual listing on the site and are therefore not loggable. Events should not be for the purpose of going out on a group cache hunt experience.
Are they typically open to anyone?
yes
Could I show up if I post a note prior to the event that I plan on showing up?
polite to leave a note but you can show up no matter what - should be open to all.
How come the event remains listed after the actual date of the event?
Simply to allow time for folks to log that they attended and post pictures.
How come sometimes on these events, there are TBs and other trackables listed in the event cache inventory; is there a requirement to listing an event cache to actually leave a physical cache at the cords once the event is over? (Some of this may be answered in the event description itself.)
Because folks are gathered fto talk geocaching it is sometimes nice to pass off trackable items so that they meet goals and keep moving out in the wild

What's the difference between a CITO, event, mega-event?
CITO is for Cache-in, Cache-out - a cleanup project for some local area. The purpose is to get cachers together to cleanup trash and give back to local cache friendly areas.
What's a Project Ape Cache? (I've gotten the definitions from the site, but they're not very clear on all the little intricacies and etiquettes associate with these types of caches/gatherings.)
Ape caches were placed as a special event sort of thing when the newer Planet of the Apes Movie was released some years ago. Only a few are left.

We had two Events here last Sunday, a 15-minute Flash Mob event that started at 9:00 a.m. and ended at 9:15 a.m. :D

That was really, really fun. :D

The second Event started at 9:15:02 near the same spot. At that one we just visited and talked caching with old friends and new cachers. Events give you the opportunity to finally put faces to those user names you have been seeing in the logbooks or on the cache pages. :D

I actually don't like attending group events or parties, but caching Events are different and way fun and I try not to miss any we have in this area. :D

We had two Events here last Sunday, a 15-minute Flash Mob event that started at 9:00 a.m. and ended at 9:15 a.m. :D

The second Event started at 9:15:02 near the same spot. At that one we just visited and talked caching with old friends and new cachers. Events give you the opportunity to finally put faces to those user names you have been seeing in the logbooks or on the cache pages. :D

I actually don't like attending group events or parties, but caching Events are different and way fun and I try not to miss any we have in this area. :D

Thanks Miragee, I got another question for ya...How would you know if the event cache is actually a caching event or just a group event or party (gathering)? Would it be stated in the cache description?

Thanks Miragee, I got another question for ya...How would you know if the event cache is actually a caching event or just a group event or party (gathering)? Would it be stated in the cache description?

The Event cache page is usually very descriptive and tells you all about what is going to happen. The first Event I attended here was a "Paperless Caching Clinic" where the organizers had a great presentation about how to "cache paperless." Other Events have been "potluck picnics in a park" where people mingle and share stories and Geocoin collections. Some Events have temporary caches set up for people to go find. Events are as varied as the person or people who organize it. :D