Marriage Proposals

I've been Geocaching for a couple of years and I turned the love of my life onto it last August. Our second date was her first exposure to Geocaching. It didn't go quite as planned because the first three caches we visited we were unable to find. I was getting frustrated and I'm not sure what was going through her mind. Anyway the forth and final cache was the Seven Mountains Patch Cache. I don't remember terrain or difficulty. Terrain must have been like a 4 difficultiy maybe a 2 or 3. It was a successful find and she was hooked. Of course, with a terrain of 4 she'll probably never let me live down the fact that I tried to kill her.

Fast forward a year. I'm ready to ask for her hand in marriage. And I would like to create a private cache for her that contains my proposal. Anyone else ever down something like this? Did you put the ring in the cache? Put in a slip of paper and hold the ring? I need some ideas.

TIA the first half of T&M

Fast forward a year. I'm ready to ask for her hand in marriage. And I would like to create a private cache for her that contains my proposal. Anyone else ever down something like this? Did you put the ring in the cache? Put in a slip of paper and hold the ring? I need some ideas.

Hopefully, M doesn't frequent the forums. I don't have any first hand experience in this, but a couple did get engaged in this manner as part of this year's "Cache Across Maryland" event. I believe he set up a private cache and hid (or had a friend hide) the ring in the cache. After they hit the target CAM cache, he suggesting hitting a nearby cache. I think the log book had "Will you marry me?" written on the first page. Unfortunately, I don't recall their names.

I checked both the CAM event logs and the MGS forums, but didn't find any references to this.

I think that would be a great idea!

Although me being me,I'd make it either a traditional with 12 containers,one inside the other so she had to open them all to get the ring and proposal,or 12 stage multi.Yeah,I'm a chops buster,but hey,you love her.It's the only way. :D:D:D:D

I still think thats a great idea,and I've never personally heard of someone doing it,but I'm sure it's been done.Maybe you could print up a fake cache page,or place a new one and deicate it to her.

Sounds like a very very romantic thing to do! Extra BF points for you! If all goes well, you may decide to follow it up with something like Marry Me! which is up on the Wild & Scenic section of the Rogue River in Oregon. It's a bit out in the sticks and a good scramble up the rocks from the river, but well worth the stop if you are floating by.

In the cache is a lovely note about the site being the location where the cashe owner proposed. We FTF'd it on a steelhead trip last fall.

... I would like to create a private cache for her that contains my proposal...put the ring in the cache?

And the you find that you are not the FTF and someone has traded the ring for a McToy.

:D

If you are any good at palming, slip the ring in as she opens it, or make sure that nobody can get to that cache.

I've been Geocaching for a couple of years and I turned the love of my life onto it last August. Our second date was her first exposure to Geocaching. It didn't go quite as planned because the first three caches we visited we were unable to find. I was getting frustrated and I'm not sure what was going through her mind. Anyway the forth and final cache was the Seven Mountains Patch Cache. I don't remember terrain or difficulty. Terrain must have been like a 4 difficultiy maybe a 2 or 3. It was a successful find and she was hooked. Of course, with a terrain of 4 she'll probably never let me live down the fact that I tried to kill her.

Yes, this has been done a number of times, and, in fact, my friend Greta and I found (I guess in September or October 2005) a nice ammo can cache in a BEAUTIFUL setting in a rugged mountainside meadow in the wilderness near Victor, Idaho called "Proposal Point" (GCH5J2), and the story behind the Proposal cache -- which was told on the webpage and in the cache logbook -- was very similar to what you propose... it started as a private marriage proposal cache, and they then listed it on GC afterwards.

BTW, I own an insane 5/5 Psycho Backcountry cache not far from the Victor, Idaho site mentioned!

Have fun!

If it was me i would make a cache just like you normally would but not submit it for approval. Get the waypoint ID and all that stuff. Then take the cache page and edit out the red writing and all that so a printout would look legit. Program the GPS(s) prior and tell her your on a search to be FTF.

Of course i would worry about a muggle if the ring was in the cache... Thats just me though.

Afterwards if she says yes then you can submit it for approval and it will make a nice story.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Spent some of the day pondering this. Now there is another element that I have to add in. M is absolutely in love with waterfalls. In order to score that 10(instead of just a 9.5), I thought about putting the cache near a waterfall. With that said, there are no real waterfalls within 100 miles of where I'm at. So I considered going out this weekend and placing my private cache for recall at some future date. I've also considered creating a public cache, write my proposal and see how many people write best wishes before she finds it. I'm just a bit leary of leaving a ring in the woods for more than a couple of hours.

Fortunately, M doesn't even know this forum exists so chances of here stumbling across it are somewhere between slim and none.

What I'd do is use photoshop or something like that to manipulate an exisitng cache page printout... make your own "dummy cache" printout with coords you only know, stash it and come in with the printout, hey this one looks cool etc. To keep your investment in the ring safe put the ring box without the ring in it in the cache for her to find and as she opens it you can produce the ring for her. You'll laugh at the photoshop aspect, but my wife hid my birthday presents before I got up, all I saw was a cache page printout listing (I work nights she works days) She did such a good job with it I was seriously wondering if any presents would be left since there are FTF hounds all over our area. It took me a minute to realize the hints were for places around the house. Then if you put the cache in a location where you can activate it later on you can and have a lasting memory for everyone else.

I have not yet proposed (that's down the road a bit still...), but for Valentine's I set up a fake cache just for my girlfriend. It was a real cache, but I never published it, and after she found it, we took the whole thing home with us.

I went out and placed the cache full of her gifts, then I typed out an information sheet that looked just like our regular info pages. I asked her if she wanted to make a FTF attempt on a just set out cache. She said yes and away we went.

It was a bit of a challenge, but I made sure that she was the one to actually find the cache and open it up. She loved it!

We just recently placed a real cache there, so that others can enjoy the area.

Take a look at these two.. Cache first:

Welcome Home

Then the Event:

Nuthin' Fancy

Worked like a champ and AzCachemeister and AzgeckoGirl are still our bestest friends. :(

Take a look at these two.. Cache first:

Welcome Home

Then the Event:

Nuthin' Fancy

Worked like a champ and AzCachemeister and AzgeckoGirl are still our bestest friends. :(

Here's the one that I made:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b2-30b82bbb53d0

I had typed up the geocaching.com entry for the cache but didn't publish it until the proposal was over. So it was private for my intentions and now it's fun to have other cachers find it. The only item in the cache container when I hid it was a note I left, I had the ring on my person (there was no way I was going to let that sit unguarded in the woods, no matter how well hidden).