Garmin is upgrading its eTrex series

so far i see the etrex vista hcx unit for $250 online. anybody see a lower price out there?

offroute.com = ~$235 for the Vista Hcx

Keep hunting for those lower prices. I hope to soon place a pre-order on a Vista Hcx soon.

I have not yet begun to Geocach yet. Kinda bummed that I have to wait until mid to late July before I get a GPS. But if I am going to spend the money, I want to get the latest technology.

Hi,

I read some posts and head to smile.

EG Quotes like "I will sell my Gpsmap 60cx" and such.

Also when the etrex gets an better Receiver there is another Main difference:

The Etrex only has a patch antenna while the 60cx has a Built-in quad-helix receiving antenna.

This antenna makes a big difference!

I have a 60cx and an PC with a builtin Sirf III - both have EXACTLY the same Chip! but the Reception differs very much.

The 60cx has a much better reception - so Im looking forward to see comparisons how well the new etrex

series Performs compared to a 60cx

On the Other Hand because of the price the new etrex series is as the cx etrex-series a good beginner device which does a good job.

Greetings

Michael

Hi,

I read some posts and head to smile.

EG Quotes like "I will sell my Gpsmap 60cx" and such.

Also when the etrex gets an better Receiver there is another Main difference:

The Etrex only has a patch antenna while the 60cx has a Built-in quad-helix receiving antenna.

This antenna makes a big difference!

I have a 60cx and an PC with a builtin Sirf III - both have EXACTLY the same Chip! but the Reception differs very much.

The 60cx has a much better reception - so Im looking forward to see comparisons how well the new etrex

series Performs compared to a 60cx

On the Other Hand because of the price the new etrex series is as the cx etrex-series a good beginner device which does a good job.

Greetings

Michael

Not sure I understand you correctly, but are you saying that the Legend CX is a"beginner device"? !!

Not sure I understand you correctly, but are you saying that the Legend CX is a"beginner device"? !!

Yes i think so.

When i began using a GPS it was mainly for bicycling. And i was very shure that i needed a Device with a map.

So normally i would tell anyone to buy a GPS just with a direction like a Gecko.

Also Geocaching is that easier when you havem a digital map to see how to get to the Cache and so i you like geocaching you would have to update but youve then spend already half of the price for a good beginner device lige the etrex for a gecko...

Also i would take the smalles extre cx device because the only difference apart from the colour of the Housing was the size of the Micro-SD - but you get those Cards much cheaper on the market than from garmin...

Greetings

Michael

The Legend CX is FAR from a beginner gps. Color display, autorouting, expandability, waypoint, route, and track storage. Custom POI capability. Computer interface, built in games (i have no use for them but they are there) WAAS....and so on and so on. I have a 60cx. Yes it is a high-end model, but not that much higher than the legend cx. There isn't much that can be done with a handheld gps that can't be done with a Legend CX. If you want the barometer and compass, you can get that in the Vista CX. The etrex cx series are not beginner gps's.

In Taiwan?

Hmm...well since TVNAV.com is in Kansas, maybe they are close to the distribution warehouse? Hehe...it was just a nasty rumor. But they are the first company that I have seen actually ship any H series Etrex units to real end users. As of July 16th, it seems, they have only shipped some Vista HCx units.

Waiting as patiently as I can for Offroute.com to start shipping.

Pre-ordered a Vista HCx a few weeks back.

But hey, I found a way to prepare for it's arrival. I downloaded the Vista C manual from Garmin's website so that I will know what I am doing when I get mine. This is my first hand-held GPS.

Waiting as patiently as I can for Offroute.com to start shipping.

Pre-ordered a Vista HCx a few weeks back.

But hey, I found a way to prepare for it's arrival. I downloaded the Vista C manual from Garmin's website so that I will know what I am doing when I get mine. This is my first hand-held GPS.

I'm in the same boat from offroute. I downloaded the Vista Cx manual to get ahead before the HCx arrives. Vista Cx Manual

Okay - I'd like to clear my muddled mind on a very important issue. The Garmin site description for the Legend Cx and Vista Cx memory is: "Just connect to your computer and load optional MapSource® software to view detailed maps of your surroundings." However, the Garmin site description for the Legend HCx and the Vista HCx reads; "Conveniently plug in optional preloaded microSD cards with MapSource data for your land and sea excursions."

I own the Topo and City Navigator on CD. Does Garmin's statement mean that I'll now have to buy the SD chips with these maps on it, and that I can't download my custom maps w/ MapSource? Does the "x" now mean that only Garmin provided memory chips with preloaded maps can be used with these new units?

REALLY curious!

Star-geezer

I own the Topo and City Navigator on CD. Does Garmin's statement mean that I'll now have to buy the SD chips with these maps on it, and that I can't download my custom maps w/ MapSource? Does the "x" now mean that only Garmin provided memory chips with preloaded maps can be used with these new units?

The microSD/TransFlash cards (either pre-loaded from Garmin or blank which you will load maps onto yourself using MapSource) can both be used with the x units. I'm sure Garmin would love to sell you their pre-loaded cards but you're free to use either or both. Since you already own City Nav, you will have to purchase an additional unlock code to use it with a new unit. Topo needs no unlock code.

<snip>

Have you used both unlock codes that came with your previous version of City Navigator? If you purchased those maps in the past year, Garmin allows you to load those maps on two different units.

I emailed Garmin about this at the time there was a long discussion going on in these Forums and was assured I could put my City Navigator maps on a second GPSr, once I decide to upgrade. :rolleyes:

You definitely do not want to purchase the maps on the cards. The DVD version is much more versatile. You can put it on more than one computer, such as a laptop and your home computer, for your convenience.