Garmin is upgrading its eTrex series

If I can get a SiRF III chip in a Legend Cx, why would I want to buy a 60Cx or 76cx? I'm not sure I understand the marketing strategy (but then I always got Bs in marketing).

I agree. There is a difference in screen size (Venture Cx is 1.3x1.7in, 76Cx is 1.6x2.2in). However, I'd much rather have the pocket-sized color eTrex if everything else is the same.

One thing I noticed while looking at Amazon was the change to the Venture Cx. This new model is called the Venture HC (notice there is no x for expandable memory). I got all excited when I saw it was only $140 and was ready to whip out the credit card. Then I saw that it doesn't have expandable memory anymore, just 24MB fixed. Still a good deal, but not as good as I thought it was since I would want something with expandable memory. I guess Garmin caught on to people buying the cheaper Venture Cx instead of the Legend Cx and supplying their own cables and microSD cards.

I'm an eXplorist guy, and I always said I'd be all over a color eTrex with a good receiver chipset. Looks like that day is here. Too bad I have to wait until next year when I get my new PC with a DVD drive so I can use City Navigator.

One thing I noticed while looking at Amazon was the change to the Venture Cx. This new model is called the Venture HC (notice there is no x for expandable memory). I got all excited when I saw it was only $140 and was ready to whip out the credit card. Then I saw that it doesn't have expandable memory anymore, just 24MB fixed. Still a good deal, but not as good as I thought it was since I would want something with expandable memory. I guess Garmin caught on to people buying the cheaper Venture Cx instead of the Legend Cx and supplying their own cables and microSD cards.

Count me in. I just bought a 60CSx but if the Vista HCx turns out to be true and ships in the next month I am totally selling the 60CSx. I just called Garmin and even though they didn't know about the eTrex H series, they nevertheless did not deny its existence.

One thing that makes me fear that this might be a hoax is in fact the Venture HC. Why on earth would they go backwards and remove the memory card? It sounds really weird to me too and I guess I am about to get an F in marketing ...

I've had a legendC for a couple years, but bought a 60cx last year to use.... I still prefer the size of the color etrex.

so a few weeks ago I ordered a vistaCX when REI had such a great deal... now I guess I'm gonna have to buy another new model! oh well someone else always ends up getting a deal on my slightly used stuff.

I agree. There is a difference in screen size (Venture Cx is 1.3x1.7in, 76Cx is 1.6x2.2in). However, I'd much rather have the pocket-sized color eTrex if everything else is the same.

Hmm, I would have quite frankly said the 60C line was pretty pocket sized. Maybe I've just got bigger pockets? I'd rather have th slightly larger screen, since I do use it for auto navigation also.

Do they have the Flash Memory? That's one reason to go with the 60 series. More maps, less swapping them out.

If the Vista has the flash memory...Hmm...

The "x" again designates a microSD slot. According the pdf and amazon, the Vista HCx has a microSD slot.

FWIW, the Venture HC is a big drop down from the Venture Cx.. high sensitivity, 24Mb internal, but no SD slot and only the capability to view maps but not autoroute. Not even a Legend C!

Edited by Maingray

Hmm, I would have quite frankly said the 60C line was pretty pocket sized. Maybe I've just got bigger pockets? I'd rather have th slightly larger screen, since I do use it for auto navigation also.

Since I own both an etrex and 60 series I've had allot of experience with both models. I much prefer the etrex size, you can be much more discrete in a public place when caching compared to carrying around a 60series.

Etrex advantages....

1. The color etrex models have much brighter back light and more vivid colors, actually making the slightly smaller screen easier to see.

2. It has a micro SD card slot that is accessible without removing the batteries.

3. At least with the current etrex vista CX you can pressure plot while unit is off & the unit has an alarm clock.

4. The new chipset in these models will probably effect the color etrex battery life, but the current vista CX is rated at 32hrs.... much more than a 60csx.

Things I think are better with the 60csx...

1. having more/labeled buttons..... though this is a non issue once your familiar with the etrex button layout.

2. map redraw/ route calculation is much quicker than the etrex color units.

The Vista HCx looks interesting…All the whistles and bells of the 60CSx in a smaller, backpacker-friendly form factor. Because I don’t plan to backpack much, I’m not going to trade in my 60CSx which I also use for motorcycle navigation.

Pros:

Hi-sensitivity chip (type unspecified) for better reception

Electronic compass

Barometer

MicroSD memory slot

Supports auto-routing

Cheaper than 60CSx

Cons:

Smaller form factor means smaller screen and side buttons that are not ideal for car (or motorcycle)navigation

Etrex advantages....

1. The color etrex models have much brighter back light and more vivid colors, actually making the slightly smaller screen easier to see.

I have to admit, I only ever use the backlight if it's dark out, so that's not really much of an issue with me.

2. It has a micro SD card slot that is accessible without removing the batteries.

I'm still on the non-expandable versions, but is this really much of an issue? I'd guess most people would get a card large enough that they don't generally need to reload it, and can do it through the unit anyways. Again, I'm still on a 60CS, so maybe I'm missing an obvious situation that has people putting them in and pulling them out a lot.

3. At least with the current etrex vista CX you can pressure plot while unit is off & the unit has an alarm clock.

Are you sure the 60 series doesn't have this? I could have sworn I remembered it being added in a firmware update, and people them promptly complaining it was draining their batteries :D. I don't use it myself, but I could see how some people would, so if it is indeed missing in the 60 series that would definitely be a plus for some in the etrex.

4. The new chipset in these models will probably effect the color etrex battery life, but the current vista CX is rated at 32hrs.... much more than a 60csx.

Probably a plus for backpackers, not really an issue for me. Although I'm not sure the ratings are realistic anyways, I'm pretty sure I'm not getting what I should on my 60CS :D.

Things I think are better with the 60csx...

1. having more/labeled buttons..... though this is a non issue once your familiar with the etrex button layout.

This is one I think the 60 definitely wins with, at least for those of us doing car navigation. Having the buttons right there on the front is useful. I know I also personally really find the 60 fits well in my hand, with my thumb perfectly positioned to use the buttons. But that's a feel issue, and is different for everyone, so others could find the etrex better here.

2. map redraw/ route calculation is much quicker than the etrex color units.

Never know, maybe they'll improve that in the new etrex units. No real reason they couldn't.

I'm kinda seriously doubting that it is a sirf chipset, as I'm sure that they would be advertising it as such. However, that's not to say that it wouldn't be a great chipset. Who knows, it could be close to or even better than sirf. If it's even marginally better than the one that's in the Legend CX right now that would be enough incentive for me to buy it, as it seems that the price isn't much more than the price of a Legend CX right now. Think I saw it advertised for 224 or thereabouts on some website.

Edited by GreatCanadian
The Vista HCx looks interesting…All the whistles and bells of the 60CSx in a smaller, backpacker-friendly form factor. Because I don't plan to backpack much, I'm not going to trade in my 60CSx which I also use for motorcycle navigation.

Pros:

Electronic compass

Barometer

MicroSD memory slot

Supports auto-routing

Cheaper than 60CSx

Cons:

Smaller form factor means smaller screen and side buttons that are not ideal for car (or motorcycle)navigation

You forgot about the 60 looking much cooler :D

I'm kinda seriously doubting that it is a sirf chipset, as I'm sure that they would be advertising it as such. However, that's not to say that it wouldn't be a great chipset. Who knows, it could be close to or even better than sirf. If it's even marginally better than the one that's in the Legend CX right now that would be enough incentive for me to buy it, as it seems that the price isn't much more than the price of a Legend CX right now. Think I saw it advertised for 224 or thereabouts on some website.
Im not to sure about that as the 60csx has the sirf chip but is called high sensitivity on its page.

And support for Galileo (The European GPS system)

Does this mean that it's not possible to use 60CSx with Galileo?

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_fall_07/outdoor/...n_new_etrex.pdf

I don't think I'd worry too much about the Galileo for anything anytime soon. The countries involved are bickering, the project is running out of money and steam and there seems to be no clear leadership to keep it going.

Are you sure the 60 series doesn't have this? I could have sworn I remembered it being added in a firmware update, and people them promptly complaining it was draining their batteries ;). I don't use it myself, but I could see how some people would, so if it is indeed missing in the 60 series that would definitely be a plus for some in the etrex.

The 60 C(S) had this, but the 60C(S)x does not. They said that the SiRF chipset was incompatible with worked with the unit turned off.

Edited by CenTexDodger
The Vista HCx looks interesting…All the whistles and bells of the 60CSx in a smaller, backpacker-friendly form factor. Because I don't plan to backpack much, I'm not going to trade in my 60CSx which I also use for motorcycle navigation.

Pros:

Electronic compass

Barometer

MicroSD memory slot

Supports auto-routing

Cheaper than 60CSx

Cons:

You forgot about the 60 looking much cooler ;)

Im not to sure about that as the 60csx has the sirf chip but is called high sensitivity on its page.

Bedanged just checked garmin's website and you're right!! The 60cx page does not mention sirf. Let's hope your right and the legend hcx and vista hcx do indeed have the sirf chipset!

Bedanged just checked garmin's website and you're right!! The 60cx page does not mention sirf. Let's hope your right and the legend hcx and vista hcx do indeed have the sirf chipset!

On the features tab of the 60csx page on garmins site there is still a sirfIII logo that links to sirf website (at the bottom of the page)

So, any idea when these are coming out? I've been thinking about getting a new one, maybe a 60cx or 60csx.

My birthday is coming up soon and my Legend is terrible under tree cover. Aside from that, I've really grown to like the interface on the legend and worry that either I'd miss it or find out the 60 series isn't really all that much better under tree cover and I just have high expectations. ;)

So anyway, back to the HCx.. I can't find it on Amazon's site now even if I search for just 'HCx'. I did find a google cache of the page and it says first available on Aug. 1st, 2007. That's a little longer than I want to wait.

I've been planning on buying a new receiver for my wife/guests who come caching with me this summer, and this announcement dovetails nicely with Garmin finally clarifying that my second unlock code will still be good beyond June 1. I was going to go with a Legend CX, but the Venture HC looks almost too good to be true at $139. 24MB is a little limiting, but I can probably get all of Colorado CN and Topo into that. I have the whole US loaded into the 2GB card in my 60CSx.

I have an old B/W Legend right now. With the Venture HC going so cheap, the older lines are not going to have much resale value now, I'm afraid.

People seem to be concerned about the lack of SirfIII. Remember that Sirf is a company that manufactures GPS chipsets it is NOT a GPS standard. So when you buy SirfIII you are simply buying Sirf company's Sirfstar III chip.

Since that chipset was developed there have been others that are at least equally sensitive and a standard called A-GPS produced by several companies. A-GPS chips take less power and are GPS on a single chip. SirfIII still is multiple chips. There was an announcement just this month about such a chip that was successfully tested to work in tunnels. By the way a single chip means it requires less space to fit in a unit and also that it uses less power.

Finally, if Garmin has started using the A-GPS (if they are, but not yet known for sure) they can buy the same technology from several suppliers keeping the price down and not subject to a single supplier's prices.

So, not having SirfIII is by no means a step backward but likely a big step forward.

JD

With the Venture HC going so cheap, the older lines are not going to have much resale value now, I'm afraid.

No auto-routing though.

What I'm reading makes it look like it will route. The info page for several of the vendors says it will, and it appears to be a Legend C with an updated receiver, and the Legend C routed. Does anyone know for sure?

With the Venture HC going so cheap, the older lines are not going to have much resale value now, I'm afraid.

No auto-routing though.

What I'm reading makes it look like it will route. The info page for several of the vendors says it will, and it appears to be a Legend C with an updated receiver, and the Legend C routed. Does anyone know for sure?

What I'm reading makes it look like it will route.

Read here:

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_fall_07/outdoor/...n_new_etrex.pdf

• Built–in memory of 24mb

• Now with USB interface

• Does not have autorouting capabilities

• WAAS–enabled, 12 channel parallel GPS receiver

What to believe? Amazon's description says

Includes a built in Americas autoroute basemap with automatic routing capabilities including highways, exits and tide data /USA only.
If the Venture HC doesn't autoroute, Garmin really neutered the thing with respect to the Venture Cx.

No Geoaching mode on the "basic" units. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

What would Geocaching mode be? I still wander around with an e-map unit, so yes I'm finally in the market :(

And I have other posts, but they don't have me. :(

Edited by modF

Great find, freeday! :(

That link didn't work for me, so they must've taken it off?

This has delayed my decision to purchase a GPS unit, as I'll wait until the Vista HCx comes out - it seems to be a great compromise between the size of the eTrex series, and the capabilities of a unit similar to the 60 CSx. :(

john

I am fairly sure that my old Ledgend B&W used to hold 1000 waypoints, now I admit I neve needed that many, but it was nice to be able to take a 500 cache PQ and download it, child waypoints and all directly into the reciever and then have plenty of room for points I created on the fly.

Looks like with these they are only storing 500 points, other features are nice but why break some of the functionality.

I am fairly sure that my old Ledgend B&W used to hold 1000 waypoints, now I admit I neve needed that many, but it was nice to be able to take a 500 cache PQ and download it, child waypoints and all directly into the reciever and then have plenty of room for points I created on the fly.

Looks like with these they are only storing 500 points, other features are nice but why break some of the functionality.

But.....the "x" series have micro-SD capability...and using Garmins POI Loader you can place waypoints on the micro-SD card...and the number is only limited by the size of the card.

Bill

Just noticed that Garmin is reporting that the Legend HCx and Vista CSx have "fast USB computer connection so you can transfer waypoints and other data to your computer". Does this mean they support the USB 2.0 protocol, or does Garmin think that the obsolete USB 1.1 it uses in the other "x series" is fast?

Vista HCx

GW

Edited by Glenn W

Garmin's post-announce product pages now show four of the new models as supporting 1000 waypoints. These models are: Summit HC; Venture HC; Legend HCx and Vista HCx.

Also FWIW, I have a MTK chip in one of my other receivers and, actually, it often out-performs the SiRF chip in my 60 CSx.

Edited by poohstickz

Also FWIW, I have a MTK chip in one of my other receivers and, actually, it often out-performs the SiRF chip in my 60 CSx.

Has it been confirmed that the new eTrex models use the MTK chip? All I can find is "high sensitivity".

No, sorry about that. I was responding to the various comments from people being concerned that there was no mention about using a SiRF chip as if it was some kind of standard or Holy Grail. Nothing against SiRF, I just find it odd that so many people seem to think it's the only game in town.