Invisable UV ink?

How dare you steal my idea!!! My UV ink came in on Friday...I'm trying to get my blacklight flashlight working and then I can place my cache.

And yes, that's all the details I'm giving in the forums, but would answer personal PM/email from people NOT in my area.

I've had one set up for a couple of years using UV spraypaint. Never have actually placed the cache though.

The key problem is twofold.

1) UV Inks may not be waterproof ( the spray paint isn't).

2) UV floureses at various wavelenghts. My Inova UV flashlight doesn't make the UV paint I got shine. My cheap Camping UV flouresent bulb does.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Sounds cool. One question: where did you get the ink?

I toyed around with the idea of twisting things around by using invisible ink with the stamp I use on cache logs... :laughing::anicute::wub:

I picked mine up from blacklight.com, but that's not the only source. A lot of theatrical supply shops carry the ink and paints.

Anyone found a cache or know of a cache that used invisable UV ink to display cords? I'm toying around with the idea.

Probably will not be popular. Battery powered UV lights are hard to find, generally you have to order them online.

I just bought the UV LED and made my own light.

UV flashlights are very inexpensive and very easy to find on ebay, but are not easy to find in local stores.

The ink can fade if exposed to sunlight, so protect from light and the elements.

Make sure the ink will be seen with UV LED lights since that is what most people will use.

I sometimes write greetings in UV ink on the tag I attach to my traveling coins and geocoins. The tags explain the mission in black ink, and I write in UV in the blank areas....

I have two UV paint caches:

The Legend of Big Ben

The Forest of Enchanted Light

The key to applying UV paint (especially invisible UV paint) is to paint in the dark, and use your UV light as a tool. On one of my UV caches, I used the UV paint to write the coordinates on a river rock. After allowing the paint to dry, I added two coats of clear coat laquer.

In my opinion, the key to a good UV cache is proper layout, and a good background story.

I had a UV multi published 2-3 weeks ago. So far just two finds and this in an urban area where most new caches get about ten hits in the first week or so. That's because the fact you need to take a UV light is a puzzle (harder than I thought it seems!). The required info is in a photo booth, a phone box and a public lift to minimise the risk of fading etc. When a few more people have found it I may be tempted to add a hint.

A Convicted Hide GCRR2B is a puzzle/multi cache. There is a puzzle at each part of the multi. At one it makes reference to finding the next wp and bringing something from it back to the previous wp. It was a UV flashlight and the first wp had the final coordinates in UV ink on it. So, you had to find one cache, which led you to a second, which led you to a third, which had nothing but a flashlight and no clues. You had to remember the clues from wp2, take the light from wp3 to wp2, return the flashlight to wp3 and then go off to the final.

I don't know if this is helpful or not but I have another way to do the invisible ink. I have a B.S. in Administration of Justice and while I was getting my degree, I learned of a way that inmates would communicate with one another. The way that they did this was by getting a piece of paper( I have seen it work on yellow legal pad paper) , a cup of lemon juice or other acidic juice ( the inmates used either a packet of lemon juice or urine, which I wouldn't advise), and a unsharpened pencil. They would take the pencil dip it in the lemon juice and write the message on the paper and allow it to dry. The inmate who recieved the blank piece of paper would then get another piece of paper or napkin and light it on fire to produce smoke. Then they would wave the napkin under the paper and the message would then appear.

I don't know if that adds anything to this topic or not and I am aware that it isn't invisible UV ink but I thought it would fit this topic. I would attempt this before I used this idea and I'm not sure if the paper would hold the message or if it would clear up for the next cacher to find it. Also I would be reluctant to let people make a napkin smolder as I would be afraid of it causing a larger fire.

Just an idea

After thinking that one of the redirects in our area was written in invisible ink my mom and I tried looking everywhere to find a black light flashlight. When we couldn’t find one I had a "great" idea, I took my flashlight and shone it through a regular black light bulb. This seemed to work, but just incase you are wondering- no we did not find the redirect. I hope that helps someone and maybe will save them a couple of bucks. :)