Geocaching in Ukraine

jkkneisley

So my wife and I will be travelling to the Ukraine this summer for 2 weeks, the end of July and begining of August to be exact. We were thinking it would be really fun to find a TB or Geocoin over here in PA or somewhere close by before we go and be able to take it halfway around the globe for someone. Just wondering what the best way is to go about finding one or if it would just be best to buy one and register it and then put it in someones cache when we get over there.

Also, I tried looking on Geocaching.com to see if they have much of anything hidden where we will be travelling too. And it doesnt look like there is. Most things look like they are close to Kiev, and we will be much close to Odessa and the Black Sea..

Any suggestions would of course be quite helpful!!

So my wife and I will be travelling to the Ukraine this summer for 2 weeks, the end of July and begining of August to be exact. We were thinking it would be really fun to find a TB or Geocoin over here in PA or somewhere close by before we go and be able to take it halfway around the globe for someone. Just wondering what the best way is to go about finding one or if it would just be best to buy one and register it and then put it in someones cache when we get over there.

Also, I tried looking on Geocaching.com to see if they have much of anything hidden where we will be travelling too. And it doesnt look like there is. Most things look like they are close to Kiev, and we will be much close to Odessa and the Black Sea..

Any suggestions would of course be quite helpful!!

You are most likely seeing exactly what they've got (apparently just 19 - ouch). I don't see a site at geocaching.ua and a quick glance at google reveals no local-to-Ukraine caching sites.

I don't know how you're getting to Ukraine, but if you're flying in and you're close to Kiev, well... there you go.

As for a TB or Geocoin... buy one, drop it off and set it with the goal of getting back to PA. If you want to bring something from PA my advice would be: coins or SMALL TB's. A "big" cache over here is often fairly small by US standards.

If you have a Garmin GPS (such as a Cx-series 60 or 76) you may want to check out Mapcenter or Mapcenter2 to get some local maps. I don't know if Mapcenter has any or if you're familiar with loading 3rd party maps like that but it is probably worth checking out. Garmin's City Navigator 9 for Europe doesn't have GPS-loadable maps. You can buy third-party maps from an authorized Garmin partner/map-maker, but they're probably going to be $150-300 just for Ukraine. If you want more information about loading maps and all that, let me know.

You could always create a cache but might first want to see if one of the local Ukrainian cachers could maintain it for you.

I want to help to create geocashing in Ukraine, especial in Crimea aria. I'm a beginner and I need some assistance of how I can do that. I know Crimea and other arias very well and I speak Ukrainian. I want to put a few coins in Crimea this summer. Also, I want to figure out if it possible to use iPhones there. So, I would be really appreciate if you give me some directions of from what I need to start. Thanks.

I want to help to create geocashing in Ukraine, especial in Crimea aria. I'm a beginner and I need some assistance of how I can do that. I know Crimea and other arias very well and I speak Ukrainian. I want to put a few coins in Crimea this summer. Also, I want to figure out if it possible to use iPhones there. So, I would be really appreciate if you give me some directions of from what I need to start. Thanks.

Placing a geocache is fairly simple. You should probably read the hiding how-to and the guidelines.

I would also advise you to know/be aware of relevant Ukrainian laws regarding err... leaving a plastic container somewhere. This my way of saying, "I am not telling you to place a geocache in the Ukraine because I don't live there and I don't know if they have weird laws about leaving a geocache somewhere. Because some places have weird laws or pissed-off policemen."

iPhone: probably. A couple things to remember, though: where did you get your iPhone? Or, rather, which provider are you using and what is your "home" area? Data roaming is HIDEOUSLY expensive and I see that your location is currently set to "NY". So be careful if you take your iPhone to the Ukraine, it will likely cost you a lot to use non-Wifi internet (3G/EDGE) there. That being said, I suspect that they have EDGE throughout most of the country (like Poland, where I live) and 3G in and around the bigger cities (50.000 people or more).

As for what to put in the Geocache: that is entirely up to you. Coins are usually popular. If you want some people to go after your cache, to get it started, I would put in a USD $5, $10 or $20 note as a reward to the first finder. Or something of equal value. One of the bigger problems in Central/Eastern Europe geocaching is getting people to your geocache once it has been placed.

Good luck... and feel free to respond to this message if you need more help/information. I have been geocaching since 2001 and have placed geocaches in the US and Poland and have searched/found geocaches in the US and various European countries (Slovakia, Poland, Czech Republic, Norway, Italy, Denmark, UK, etc).

To: Just a geocacher

First of all. Thanks a lot!

As far as i know Ukrainian laws are pretty much strange, however, I don't think it would be a problem to put a plastic container anywhere around country. But, again I need to figure it out for sure.

Yes, of course I need an iPhone at least with ability to work with local providers such as Utel in Ukraine. Utel has a 3G coverage in most of places in Ukraine. I'm not sure if it woks in Crimea well. I'm living in NY but I want to start to gather geocashing community in Crimea. It is a grate place one of most beautiful places around the world. I know for sure that places like that would be extremely popular sooner or later.

Here are some of my Crimea's photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8752928@N04/1...57604719188683/

I want to create a web site (I got domains geocaching.crimea.ua and geocaching.ua) to promote and support geocashing. It would help to people to get there. Being a devoted iPhone user I want to concentrate my attention on that aspect of movement.

By the way, what kind of GPS devise are you using?

Edited by anatoliy

I cot my Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx today!!!

Placing a geocache is fairly simple. You should probably read the hiding how-to and the guidelines.

I would also advise you to know/be aware of relevant Ukrainian laws regarding err... leaving a plastic container somewhere. This my way of saying, "I am not telling you to place a geocache in the Ukraine because I don't live there and I don't know if they have weird laws about leaving a geocache somewhere. Because some places have weird laws or pissed-off policemen."

iPhone: probably. A couple things to remember, though: where did you get your iPhone? Or, rather, which provider are you using and what is your "home" area? Data roaming is HIDEOUSLY expensive and I see that your location is currently set to "NY". So be careful if you take your iPhone to the Ukraine, it will likely cost you a lot to use non-Wifi internet (3G/EDGE) there. That being said, I suspect that they have EDGE throughout most of the country (like Poland, where I live) and 3G in and around the bigger cities (50.000 people or more).

As for what to put in the Geocache: that is entirely up to you. Coins are usually popular. If you want some people to go after your cache, to get it started, I would put in a USD $5, $10 or $20 note as a reward to the first finder. Or something of equal value. One of the bigger problems in Central/Eastern Europe geocaching is getting people to your geocache once it has been placed.

Good luck... and feel free to respond to this message if you need more help/information. I have been geocaching since 2001 and have placed geocaches in the US and Poland and have searched/found geocaches in the US and various European countries (Slovakia, Poland, Czech Republic, Norway, Italy, Denmark, UK, etc).