money as a trade

One day when I was caching on a very hot summer day I took the money from every cache whether it was a nickel, a couple of quarters of a dollar. I was trying to see if I could get $5.50 for some beer. (The Sierra Nevada brewery is here in town and Safeway carries their beer for only $5.00 or so - it's $7.50 and up every place else.) At the end of the day I'd collected $4.50 and had traded around $15 worth of swag. Not exactly a money making proposition but I had a lot of fun caching and leaving nice trades and I had almost enough money for the 6 pack.

In this area there are a few folks who often leave a gold dollar as a FTF prize in micro caches. Sometimes folks who don't usually trade will spot something in a cache that they really like for some reason - maybe the grandkids want an item or something like that - and, since they don't carry swag, they'll leave money instead. It works out well as long as you remember to trade even or trade up.

Is money an OK trade?

It sure is! Also consider Foreign currency. I like to contact a distant cacher and make an even trade for paper or coin. Sending those gold dollars overseas is fun.

I've made several geobuddies just by getting together and trading swag.

I have a "Cash Cache" Cachers are supposed to leave a coin that has some significance to them, year of birth, anniversary, home state quarter, country visited, etc. Then they are to take a coin from cache and write in log why the one they left is significant. It is a film cannister and I actually had to remove some coins because no one was taking any and it was full!

If I leave a dollar or two, I usually register it on wheresgeorge.com first.

Wasnt there a posting awhile back that mentioned that wheresgeorge is rather anti-geocaching because $1 will sit for awhile before moving along. The post also mentioned that WG.com would "disable" $1 made specifically for geocaching.com.

I have left a buck but not a WG?

When I leave money it's the equivalent of $2-3 or foreign coins. My favourite way to leave coins in a cache is to do a set: 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 "small change coins" and usually the equivalent of a $1 coin. Often this works out to about ...$2-3, tops. But, again, I think it's best when done with a foreign set of coins.

Wasnt there a posting awhile back that mentioned that wheresgeorge is rather anti-geocaching because $1 will sit for awhile before moving along. The post also mentioned that WG.com would "disable" $1 made specifically for geocaching.com.

Rules for using Where's George? with Geocaching

#3 Usage of Bills in Geocaches

Only real, actual U.S. dollar bills can be used as Travel Bugs in Geocaches if they are to be logged on this site. Photocopies or other duplicates of bills will not be allowed and any instances of this will be deleted and blocked from entry.

Once any bill has been found in a Geocache, it is marked as such on this site and is removed from the summarizations and other Top 10 reports found on this site. Once a bill is tagged as a "Geocache Bill", it will not be untagged as such, even if it is returned to normal circulation.

Just putting a WG$ in a cache is not illegal on WG.COM, but it does make it ineligible for the top 10 hit lists.

If a WG$ is being abused by being logged by numeroous people and dropped back into a cache they may disable that one.

Edited by briansnat

I'd post a dissent to the above posts, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

If I remember correctly that site thinks that dollars left in GeoCaches do not fit into the "Normal flow of money" but I don't agree, sinse it is normal for a cacher to leave money in a cache from time to time

Oops, quoted the wrong post, sorry

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT