GW5 Sunburst Geocoin

CinemaBoxers

The site says they'll mint some more, so, yay! Hopefully I'll get it right the next time. :unsure::o

Yes! Keep minting more. Eventually those people who bought 2 or 3 of each metal with hopes of selling them off on eBay will learn their lesson about trying to game the market. <_<

Uhhh ... some of us who bought 2-3 will be giving some away as cache FTF or event prizes.

Precisely - nicolo beat me to the reply.

Glad to hear there are more being minted.

The site says they'll mint some more, so, yay! Hopefully I'll get it right the next time. :unsure::o

Yes! Keep minting more. Eventually those people who bought 2 or 3 of each metal with hopes of selling them off on eBay will learn their lesson about trying to game the market. <_<

Ahh, some of US didn't even try to purchase any :unsure:

Yes! Keep minting more. Eventually those people who bought 2 or 3 of each metal with hopes of selling them off on eBay will learn their lesson about trying to game the market. :o

Uhhh ... some of us who bought 2-3 will be giving some away as cache FTF or event prizes.

Oh, I suspect that some people are doing that.... It's just amazing the rate that these are selling! And a quick check of the e-place shows a couple that are listed for an amazing markup.... plus a bunch more in history that sold for 4 to 5x the price Paula is asking.

Oh, I suspect that some people are doing that.... It's just amazing the rate that these are selling! And a quick check of the e-place shows a couple that are listed for an amazing markup.... plus a bunch more in history that sold for 4 to 5x the price Paula is asking.

I guess we're looking at two different sites :unsure: Everything I saw completed was LE silver or Super Secret Probation Artist metal, except one BN :o I would suspect flooding the "base metal" market will keep most of them off there.

Yes! Keep minting more. Eventually those people who bought 2 or 3 of each metal with hopes of selling them off on eBay will learn their lesson about trying to game the market. :o

Looks like no one from the secondary coin market has sold any on eBay. All of the completed auctions are from the coin designer. One of the current auctions is from the designer and one from some one else. Both current auctions are for the LE Silver. So only one person is getting the amazing markup price on this coin. No problems with that from me....she should be the one to reap the profits from her design.

I have multiples of this coin that I got from GW5 and have no intention of selling them on eBay. I happen to really like this coin and want to keep several in my collection. I have been accused of only buying coins to be a eBay reseller and making obscene profits.....but it is just not true.

I did not even buy any from the selling frenzy last night even though I wanted too. (I forgot)

And a quick check of the e-place shows a couple that are listed for an amazing markup.... plus a bunch more in history that sold for 4 to 5x the price Paula is asking.

Those are Paula's auctions dude. LMAO!

<_< Ah! Well, then I suppose she won't get very far by suing the person for using her photos. :o

Well, then I stand corrected. Sorry to stir up the thread here... I love these coins and I'm not trying to cause any trouble... really I'm not!

Let this be a lesson to me to avoid posting on the Forums before I have my morning coffee. Maybe I need to take one of Karma's piranha out and tape it to my monitor as a reminder.

As for the re-minting the pins -- I would buy a couple more of the pins if they were available. I've found that pins make the perfect swag items for caches now. They fit in most all caches and even some micros, and everyone loves finding them later on! Let us know if there are going to be price breaks for 10+ or so purchases.

What it is, is nobody's business. LOL There seems to be alot of interest in what I sell on eBay - which - frankly, is only my concern - and the people purchasing.

I designed the coin, and, I think Im allowed to make a little money off of the design. I do believe AG also had an auction up at one time for a BN - again, not that ANY ebay auction is relevant.

Most of my auctions all begin at $1.00 - its up to the public to decide what they wish to pay for an item. My buy it now price is LOWER than ANY of the auction prices for this same coin.

But, everyone is WELCOME to buy the other versions for $10 each on Castle Mans site - I always make sure I post that information on my Design site - and, on all the local forums along with this one.

There should be enough to go around - but if someone wants the LE? They can get it on eBay, or offer me a trade! (I am trading them occasionally as well!)

one person did...

my friend. who bought it as a birthday present... for me. :

Yeah, that's cinemaboxers (paula's) auction listing.

is that a good or a bad thing then?

I think good or bad depends on whether you are a buyer of that coin, or watching the listing :rolleyes:

I thought the silvers all sold out at Geowoodstock 5? Maybe I missed the part where a whole bunch of the LE were reserved for Ebay sales at 5 times the cost. . . . .

I think good or bad depends on whether you are a buyer of that coin, or watching the listing :rolleyes:

I thought the silvers all sold out at Geowoodstock 5? Maybe I missed the part where a whole bunch of the LE were reserved for Ebay sales at 5 times the cost. . . . .

NONE were held back - these were my coins. Artists do get paid for designs ya'know!

The silvers indeed sold out at GW5 - I was lucky enough to have some of my own. (Its a MUCH smaller number than Im sure you think!)

I had chosen my coins BEFORE we even decided the LE metal - those coins stayed at home and didnt even make the trip to NC.

Im a little offended that someone would insinuate that we would "Hold back" coins - but, I indeed am selling a small number of what I had taken from the first minting. (Makes up for MANY MANY MANY coins I gave away - and Im sure a few folks would step up and agree with THAT statement!)

Damned if you do, damned if you dont... I sell coins I design on eBay. And no apologies for that.

However, I DONT sell personal coins, or coins I traded for, etc, etc... Nor do I stock up on purchasing to list them on ebay. My sales are limited to my own coins, and its up to the buyers to decide if they want to purchase.

I do have 100% positive feedback, so not too many people are unhappy with my eBay sales!

**snip**

There should be enough to go around - but if someone wants the LE? They can get it on eBay, or offer me a trade! (I am trading them occasionally as well!)

And, FWIW for all you traders out there, I've asked for an LE trade more times than I can count on one hand. Zero responses. :rolleyes:

Well... I have a trade list - I was just told to look at your list, and didnt see anything at first glance I was seeking (Or Jim was seeking specifically - hes the obsessed collector!)

Ive traded quite a few of these so far! But, regarding Moop Along, I remember a few trades I was interested in at GW5 were a no-go as well! LOL

I just sent over an AE to a friend... I th ink theres a few folks that have gotten Sunburst Surprises since GW5! But, I HAVE given away more than I traded to be honest - Im not the one who usually organizes trades, and when I do, it seems that one or two people always have what Im looking for.

I think good or bad depends on whether you are a buyer of that coin, or watching the listing :unsure:

NONE were held back - these were my coins. Artists do get paid for designs ya'know!

The silvers indeed sold out at GW5 - I was lucky enough to have some of my own. (Its a MUCH smaller number than Im sure you think!)

I had chosen my coins BEFORE we even decided the LE metal - those coins stayed at home and didnt even make the trip to NC.

So are you saying more than 200 were minted in Silver :rolleyes:

ABSOLUTELY NOT - and I dont think that I even hinted at that.

I chose an alotted number of regular coins in addition to my small Antique Copper run.

I ended up with a small number of the regular editions - out of the original numbers minted.

Only 200 LE coins made. No more than that, and never again. :unsure:

And.. thanks Mamid - I too think sometimes the artists are made to look like villains for making any profit.

Thats unfortunate... and I wish that wasn't the case.

Edited by CinemaBoxers

You're not a villian for selling anything on Ebay. I'm just curious to see how many of the hold back silvers show up there. So far 8. Not including your trades. Looks like you picked a good metal to leave some at home without even knowing it :unsure:

And, at I pass graciously on all my trades. All my questions were ducked or never answered :rolleyes:

You're not a villian for selling anything on Ebay. I'm just curious to see how many of the hold back silvers show up there. So far 8. Not including your trades. Looks like you picked a good metal to leave some at home without even knowing it :rolleyes:

And, at I pass graciously on all my trades. All my questions were ducked or never answered :unsure:

We'll agree to disagree - and BTW - "coincidentally" I had the same # of all the metals as I did the LE metal. :angry: Ive also sold some black nickel. I have the LEAST of the gold, which was understandably the most popular metal. So.. its not odd at all - just a matter of preference!

The more popular trades are still gold and black nickel. Most traders wanted a metal they liked! (Which was cool with me!)

I pass on trades when Im offered something I dont want... but, I wasn't offered anything specific in your case.

Oh well.. like I said, damned when I do, damned if I dont!

ABSOLUTELY NOT - and I dont think that I even hinted at that.

I chose an alotted number of regular coins in addition to my small Antique Copper run.

I ended up with a small number of the regular editions - out of the original numbers minted.

Only 200 LE coins made. No more than that, and never again. :unsure:

And.. thanks Mamid - I too think sometimes the artists are made to look like villains for making any profit.

Personally I don't have a problem with eBay sales, or the price that they were/are offered.

I also don't have a problem with coinmakers making some profit. At $10 a coin these were a steal for the buyer. Even $30 on eBay is not a bad deal - they'd probably go up to that price anyway if you started at, say $15.

Thanks for a great coin at an equally great price.

I too am an artist. And I've been burned by editors and others who were interested in making a profit off of my work but not willing to let me make anything. One in particular is still selling my designs under her trademark and I have not seen a single penny. Nor am I likely to either. The way the contract was written was that I was to pay for all her fees, printing costs, her costs, and everything out of my percentage of profits, but you needed to be well versed in legalese in order to pick that out. When it came down to it, that meant that I was supposed to get about 1% of all products sold at the most. And when I decided to pull out, since she already had my designs, I was hooped.

The second time, the artwork in particular became the property of this fanzine. That was not what I agreed to, especially since I didn't get paid a penny for it. I was furious. So I had it printed in 3 other fanzines. What I find funny is that the first one went under a year later. karma, eh? Thing is, the editor was also supposed to have taken me on as one of her clients to hawk my works at conventions. I think she's pulled out of that line of work.

Third time, I had exchanged artwork for some memory chips for my computer. Bad idea. It cost me 14$ in customs fees and the chips were not what I had been promised.

So I've back to what I had originally decided to sell my work for: you can have it for free if a: I get one copy/finished example for my portfolio, b: I get some from each edition to keep/give away/whatever, c: I get credit for the work, and d: I keep all rights to the artwork unless it is in writting and we agreed that you keep the rights. In other words, if you want to use it again, I get notified first.

I've given up trying to make money off of my work. All I do now is for my own enjoyment. If you ask me to draw something for you and you accept it, great. I expect you to be an honorable person and pay me in kind or money or both. But I've learned that I'll never get paid what I'm worth. Too many scammers out there and since I've been scammed before, I'm leery about doing anything for anyone.

Contests and competitions are fine. I enjoy them because there is no skin off my teeth if I don't win. Although I really appreciate the fact that one of the other coin makers is giving out prizes just because we entered her contest. That made loosing worth it anyway.

Paula, I am sure I am just one of many who want to thank you for designing such a beautiful coin! It's a real gem! And thanks to Castle Man for deciding to mint even more sunbursts, these coins will be popular for a long time. What you do with your coins is your business and that's that. And I just love all of the DRAMA. That's what makes this forum so fun and interesting...

Luckily, I do coins for some of the best people to work with. They give me freedom to do what I wish with what I earn, (and actually allow me to earn)!

So.. no complaints on my end! Im a happy camper!

But, I do support the sentiments - artists do a job just like anyone else. We like to be paid for our work, and really appreciate those who understand that! LOL :rolleyes:

However, I DONT sell personal coins, or coins I traded for, etc, etc... Nor do I stock up on purchasing to list them on ebay. My sales are limited to my own coins, and its up to the buyers to decide if they want to purchase.

This is my philosophy too. I only sell coins I design on eBay. I too feel you have the right since it is your design.

Ive traded quite a few of these so far!

I traded with you at GW5 and just love my sunburst.

Why does it seem that the really really good designs that are very very popular and not made by certain individuals / brokers the ones that aways get picked on by certain individuals? I see a pattern here.....:rolleyes:

This is my philosophy too. I only sell coins I design on eBay. I too feel you have the right since it is your design.

I apologize for straying off topic ~ but i feel people should honor their trades and sales to the customers BEFORE you start sticking coins up on ebay.

I apologize for straying off topic ~ but i feel people should honor their trades and sales to the customers BEFORE you start sticking coins up on ebay.

I've already posted my pholosophy on that one in another thread. So, I'm not going to hyjack this thread.

I got on the site bang on time, even had some LE in my cart by didn't checkout fast enough! All gone. :unsure:

Next time I know to checkout at light speed.

I sincerely hope that the LE's weren't all snapped up by just a couple of people like I suspect some other recent coin releases were. It really annoys me when people do that only to sell them at a gross profit on ebay - blasted geocoin speculators! Can't hold anything against the artists for doing so with a few coins though.

It's interesting watching/reading the comments of people jumping the gun on other peoples comments without reading the entire thread first. :rolleyes::huh:

Anyway - awesome design!! I at least have a couple of standard metals coming my way. :angry:

I got on the site bang on time, even had some LE in my cart by didn't checkout fast enough! All gone. :unsure:

I sincerely hope that the LE's weren't all snapped up by just a couple of people like I suspect some other recent coin releases were. It really annoys me when people do that only to sell them at a gross profit on ebay - blasted geocoin speculators! Can't hold anything against the artists for doing so with a few coins though.

It's interesting watching/reading the comments of people jumping the gun on other peoples comments without reading the entire thread first. :rolleyes::huh:

Anyway - awesome design!! I at least have a couple of standard metals coming my way. :angry:

NO LE's were ever on the site. The versions available on the site were and will be again: Black Nickel, Chrome and Antique Gold. The Antique Silver is the LE GW5 Attendee only coins and have not been and will not be on the site for sale. :huh:

NO LE's were ever on the site. The versions available on the site were and will be again: Black Nickel, Chrome and Antique Gold. The Antique Silver is the LE GW5 Attendee only coins and have not been and will not be on the site for sale. :drama:

I think I may be in the same state of confusion as others.... :mmraspberry:

Maybe it is a semantic thing with the way different folks throw the term LE about. From hitting the store pretty much at 9 pm sharp, it appeared to be something like 100 each of the BN and AG and 50 of the chrome. The BN and AG were 2 of the 3 metals at GW5; the AS is the "LE" and was therefore not minted again. To my knowledge, the chrome was a new metal for this run.

So the confusion on my part is this, the AS LE was originally minted at something like 200 or 250, and this new chrome edition appears to have started at a much smaller minting than the proclaimed LE, but is considered RE? Simply because you could make more? :signalviolin:

I got on the site bang on time, even had some LE in my cart by didn't checkout fast enough! All gone. ;)

It's interesting watching/reading the comments of people jumping the gun on other peoples comments without reading the entire thread first. :signalviolin::mmraspberry:

Anyway - awesome design!! I at least have a couple of standard metals coming my way. ;)

NO LE's were ever on the site. The versions available on the site were and will be again: Black Nickel, Chrome and Antique Gold. The Antique Silver is the LE GW5 Attendee only coins and have not been and will not be on the site for sale. :drama:

Sorry - my bad :o

I thought one of the metals on the site was listed as 'LE'? But, maybe I only thought that it was the case due to the available numbers listed, as dflye said.

Never-the-less - this is a very nice, and unique coin :)

Great design Paula.

Paula, I think you are an inspired artist, and I love all your coins. The Sunburst is extra special though! I LOVE my LE, which I traded for, and it was drooled all over by people at a recent Geocaching Event I attended. That coin has 'turned' some geocachers into geocoin fanatics. Well done! :signalviolin::mmraspberry:

Thanks for the compliments - I can't tell you how proud I am of this coin. Its one of my favorites, and I always appreciate the compliments.

Also, a thank you to everyone who purchased these coins - actually a thanks for purchasing ANY of the coins I designed - and for making them a success!

:D