Critter on the cache

Juvenile Bald Eagle, yelling at me. Walking in on soft pine needles beneath my feet. I saw 3 eagles, but too many branches defeated my camera. They all took off. Then I heard a splash in the lake and this guy flew up from the water, soaking wet to land in the tree and shake off like a retriever scome to shore. He was too wet to fly off right away, so we regarded one another for a time. whatever he was fishing for got away.
I saw this and want to add it to the front banner rotation but I need a link to the cache log which contains this photo.

My bad. I actually wasn't caching at the time, since I'd done the cache here a few days earlier. It's close to home in an amazing park, and I was just walking my evening walk when the photo op presented itself. I've posted it to the cache that is very nearby (200ft or so.) Perhaps that disqualifies it. Your call. Here it is.

Normally we just find lizards around and keep hoping we don't find a snake. This weekend we were going to try for one cache but when we got to the location we saw the arrow pointing to a likely spot and realized it was being guarded by a little moogle! Mama was just down the road and came to protect her baby. We took pictures and moved on to the next cache! We'll go back another time. ;)

b2eea10a-8a46-4f0b-a04b-769fae42b814.jpg

I saw this little guy looking back at me when I was looking into an old hollow broken off telephone pole. I put a tubular cache in there on top of where he lived. Feeling badly about that I decided to make a mouse-sized living quarters in the bottom of the cache. His "spaceship" includes a door that can be temporarily closed before extracting the tube from its hiding place. That way, given that it has a window through which a person can look, we can see if the "captain" is at home. When visiting the location I ask people to place corn, that I have in a container nearby, into the ship to keep the captain happy. :unsure:

12001dba-63a0-442c-9d09-e1ac143f42df.jpg

Yep, copperhead! And no, i'm not crazy, but i've messed with snakes quite a bit and since he was so sluggish, was able to grab him behind the head and move him.

ebc65376-ed82-4354-8457-02053e18956f.jpg

You can see that he was small too so i figure he wouldn't get me too bad if i made a mistake!!! :unsure:

I'm a discovery channel junkie. Be careful with the little ones, when they are that young they dont know yet how to control how much poison they inject when they bite, so sometimes it's only a little, and sometimes its way more than an adult uses. Apparently this is a skill they learn over time to use enough to defend and kill prey, but not waste it and have to make so much more.

Biggest scare...looking for a cache once I opened up a water meter box (concrete box in the ground with an iron lid) to find a very toothy mouth, wide open, facing me. Angry possum. I closed the lid quickly and took a DNF.

Most beautiful...doing night recon for a cache I came back for another day, my path was crossed by a young spotted skunk. Beautiful animal, and fortunately he ran away instead of spraying.

Ugly real life followed by close call...on a slightly long-ish hike into the woods for a cache we came across a few dozen buzzards climbing over something. It was a dead wild pig. Luckily downwind. A little further down the wife and i spotted an unusual feature on the bank of a canal. We went over to look when my wife suddenly remembered one of her few days actually attending class in high school, and said, "hey, I think that's an alligator nest, we learned about that in school." Not 2 seconds later we heard a very loud SPLASH just a few feet away and high-tailed it out of there. When we got to the final cache location, on the bank of yet another canal, there were a few alligators in the water that kept slowly swimming toward us. Logged it quickly and beat it out of there.

Creepiest...i hate snakes...HATE them. One day while walking through a natural area looking for a cache, I looked over at a very thorny tree next to me and thought, "Boy, that's a thorny tree." Just then I noticed a snake winding its way up a branch just inches away. Who knew they could climb? Actually, I did know that but seeing it creeped me out.

Invasive species...logging a benchmark on a bridge over a canal near a cache I had found many eons previously, I looked over at a palmetto bush on the side of the canal and saw 2 huge wild iguanas sitting in it. A typical scenario in Florida..."exotic" pets escape ot get too hard to care for and are released...apparently there is a huge problem with pythons in the Everglades threatening the eco balance.

I saw this little guy looking back at me when I was looking into an old hollow broken off telephone pole. I put a tubular cache in there on top of where he lived. Feeling badly about that I decided to make a mouse-sized living quarters in the bottom of the cache. His "spaceship" includes a door that can be temporarily closed before extracting the tube from its hiding place. That way, given that it has a window through which a person can look, we can see if the "captain" is at home. When visiting the location I ask people to place corn, that I have in a container nearby, into the ship to keep the captain happy. :D

12001dba-63a0-442c-9d09-e1ac143f42df.jpg

Awww. I would love to find that cache. What a neat idea. I bet the captain loves it! :)

This was the biggest darn grasshopper I've ever seen. This was taken in Richmond Hill, GA (south of Savannah). I didn't have anything to use to show it's size, but it was easily 5".

100_3913.jpg

In Savannah, we also had banana spiders as big as your head (OK, not really, but it sure felt like it when you got tangled up in their web!).

Ok Found one!!

Wood Family Cache in South Dakota - This guy was gaurding the cache jst behind him behind the pine needles and rocks.

c8278fe5-ce8b-47a8-ad5c-7f26ec658755.jpg

gAAAAAHHH!!!!! Killer Rabbit! Run-Away! Run-Away!!!!! Sorry,, had a fit of Python there for a sec.

Actually, the rabbit DOES Look quite angry. :unsure:

Thank you!!! I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought that!

~see my post on the first page of this thread~ :blink:

i hope he is up to ye holy hand grenade but what about the cache cant destoy the cache

We encountered this guy about 10 feet from a cache we visited last month. He was only about 6 feet from nose to tail.

Littlegator2.jpg

We ran across this much larger model last year hiking the trail between caches. When we first saw him we thought he was someone's green canoe on the beach. He's about a 12 to 14 footer. We were just glad he was on the OTHER side of the river!

Biggator1.jpgBiggator2.jpg

OK -- no pictures, but a few stories.

When I introduced some friends to caching on a weekend trip to Village Creek State Park in Arkansas late last summer, a buddy and I decided to do the 2 night caches there. On one of them, a deer exploded out of a thicket (and yes, EXPLODED is the proper term -- about gave both of us a heart attack), and a few minutes later (same cache), we were met by "Killer Armadill-er", as we called him, doing his best Karate Kid imitation.

While doing a group cache hunt in Shelby County (TN) earlier this spring, I was wearing my new snake boots for the 1st time, trying to break them in -- I look down to see a water moccasin (aka cottonmouth) about 3 feet from my boot. It was an unusually warm day (almost 70 degrees after 2 weeks in the 40s and 50s) -- looked like he had just crawled out of hibernation and was very sluggish -- luckily I was standing on the far end from his head. Cache owner was kind enough to inform us that cache was on other side of trail.

Lifted the camo from "Runway Three Six" in Olive Branch, MS to find a nest of field mice on top of the cache. One of them had remained in the camo and ran out as I was placing the cache lid on the ground.

While at a men's retreat in Wall Doxey State Park in MS, 3 of us decide to go after several of the caches there at night -- keep in mind these are not designed as night caches. One of the friends was the guy with me on the 1st story. As we near the 1st cache, "Killer 'Diller's" cousin comes out of the woods making a beeline for us -- he got within 4 or 5 feet (it seemed) before turning away -- heading straight for where our arrows were pointing. We gave him a few minutes to get away before moving in (slowly) for the cache. On another one that night, I look into a stump (our 3 LED headlamps are our only light sources) -- I go to poke with my trekking pole to see if I can find an ammo can in there, when I realize that the insides of tree trunks don't breathe -- they also don't have beady little eyes. Not sure what was in there -- I moved away pretty quickly.

I've also jumped deer on numerous other occassions.

Didn't get pictures of either of these, but I found a little gardener snake near a earthcache I did last week (the first snake I have seen geocaching, which isn't supprising considering I live in Alberta). Also last week, I was surching for a cache, and this house cat was stairing at me the whole time. Strangly creepy. I got close to him at one point and he hissed at me.