Critter on the cache

Ok - at the request of 1 or more cachers - I (we) have decided to start a new photo thread. Show us all your pictures of live creatures you found on or right next to a cache container.

I have one here somewhere of a baby fawn curled up next to the cache box (if I can find it). I will add it in a bit.....

Meanwhile - show us your photos.

Ok - at the request of 1 or more cachers - I (we) have decided to start a new photo thread. Show us all your pictures of live creatures you found on or right next to a cache container.

I have one here somewhere of a baby fawn curled up next to the cache box (if I can find it). I will add it in a bit.....

Meanwhile - show us your photos.

54d1a59a-ea9a-4bdc-9354-465079e14b21.jpg

I havent either...pic I posted was compliments of someonelse's log on a cache a couple miles from my house.

Thanx to that critter, I got to log an FTF on the relocated cache...

I gotta show this thread to my cachin buddy KillerB....He kills me everytime he just sticks his hands into holes and old logs he cant see into when searching for caches. :anicute::laughing:

Haven't seen anything quite as scary or interesting except an armadillo one time that skedaddled before I could photograph it. I did find a whole deer skeleton (road kill?) recently. Since there was nothing left but bones, I placed a cache inside the skull and called it "Deer Me!"

sadgirlswampgx1.jpg

I found these critters while caching around Vereen Gardens in Little River, SC. They said they were my friends and that I had invited them, but I'm fully aware of Leave no Trace, so I tried my hardest to avoid them and made sure not to disturb their migration pattern...

dd3047da-5a05-422d-b22d-b9bbafe8ebd3.jpg

Marmot

Actually, that looks like a Pika.

Probably because it IS a pika....

It can't be- there's no lightning coming out of it's a--, errrr posterior.

Oops, sorry, that's a pikachu...

pikachu.gif

No...THIS is Pikachu (my pet chinchilla)

pika3.jpg

I grabbed ahold of this guy looking for a handhold on a very steep hill approaching a cache.

8ec4c913-82e5-4396-98d9-930ae1e2c2a7.jpg

Yessss. I did find the cache. Got a FTF on it too.

No picture, but a field mouse popped out of a tree stump with her babies once. Not a real scare, but a jump back anyway.

Edited by hairball45

Just this weekend, I was working on Trails, No Not Trails (GC11QZQ) and when I got to the final - I found a just born (not even licked off yet) fawn. Took a couple of pics, did not touch, and got away as quickly as possible after signing log. See Photo

a2932850-92f5-49bb-af2d-57463bb50d5c.jpg

Found this little guy coiled up under the cache. It was November and cool out so he was sluggish until i picked him up to move him away from the cache.

292e8e86-e4f4-453c-b6f9-032dd966420e.jpg

Isn't that a poisonous snake?

Yes it is a Copperhead. The color pattern and shape of the head are distinctive. Often Water Snakes and Milksnakes are mistaken for Copperheads, but this one is certainly a Copperhead.

Found this little guy coiled up under the cache. It was November and cool out so he was sluggish until i picked him up to move him away from the cache.

Yep, copperhead! And no, i'm not crazy, but i've messed with snakes quite a bit and since he was so sluggish, was able to grab him behind the head and move him.

ebc65376-ed82-4354-8457-02053e18956f.jpg

You can see that he was small too so i figure he wouldn't get me too bad if i made a mistake!!! ;)

Yep, copperhead! And no, i'm not crazy, but i've messed with snakes quite a bit and since he was so sluggish, was able to grab him behind the head and move him.

You can see that he was small too so i figure he wouldn't get me too bad if i made a mistake!!! ;)

Hey, that's a Pepper cache! How's she doing down there?

I don't know anything about snakes I haven't seen on TV, but that said, on TV once they mentioned that young snakes can be more dangerous than adult snakes.

The reason: young snakes don't know how to control the venom very well and often will pump in the entire available supply; adult snakes sometimes bite without injecting venom and if they do inject it is usually a smaller volume than that dosed out by a young snake.

Like I said, I learned this on TV, so YMMV.

~k

Edited by krisandmel

Actually, there are no poisonous snakes. It is venomous though. :(

You can see that he was small too so i figure he wouldn't get me too bad if i made a mistake!!! :(

Looks like a Pepper cache to me...I don't remember her hiding snakes under them before though. Maybe it's a Texas thing. :anicute:

I don't know anything about snakes I haven't seen on TV, but that said, on TV once they mentioned that young snakes can be more dangerous than adult snakes.

The reason: young snakes don't know how to control the venom very well and often will pump in the entire available supply; adult snakes sometimes bite without injecting venom and if they do inject it is usually a smaller volume than that dosed out by a young snake.

~k

Hmmmm, never thought about that. I'm probably wrong but i was thinking more along the lines of it's fangs being smaller and less apt to get me as well. I'm certainly no expert on snakes as you can see and i certainly don't make a habit of picking venomous snakes up, but this one was so docile that it was easy to manage. My main objective was to move it away from the cache and trying to do that with a stick would have been a little tougher.

Hey, that's a Pepper cache! How's she doing down there?

I saw her at the Texas Challenge back in March and all i can say is that she is a go getter! Seems we always run across her find logs when over near the Houston area and we have found several of her caches as well. Her Pepper Coins are the coolest too. So i guess what i'm trying to say is,, She is doing very good!!! :(

You can see that he was small too so i figure he wouldn't get me too bad if i made a mistake!!! :(

~k

I've heard the same of scorpions as well.It's funny...all my time in the woods at home and I've never found a copperhead.Two years in Iraq and I've found two saw scaled vipers.Thankfully not near a cache.