What are the tell tale signs of a cacher?

I assume everyone I see must be caching and am always surprised when I log a find that no one has been there on the same day. Cakemaker has given a good description of me but you should include the back-pack crammed full of swaps, spare pens, spare log books, napkins for damp caches, printouts of caches, battery shapes bulging from pockets, an enthusiastic looking person accompanied by a resigned looking person :)

Car park full of cars.

Rain pouring down, everybody in their cars.

Topograph 600 yards from car park.

One person runs from topograph back to car park, passes another person running towards the topograph.

Both mad. Both cachers!

Cache log

Hi Goldpot :anicute:

G

Hi there...yes, remembered that very well :laughing:

If it was us on sunday they look lost

or

three kids sat down looking bored and sounds of brambles tearing flesh in the nearby undergrowth.

or

bags full of plastic snakes, animals, bouncy balls and at the moment leaking small kids books in a steady trail wherever we walk.

note to self squirells egg cache on its way. :D

I find that Holding a GPSr unit is kind of a giveaway.

You would like to think so wouldn't you.... Last summer I was on my way to a newly published cache when I spotted someone walking towards me with a GPSr unit. Aha! a cacher! - I mean who else would be out down a country footpath in the rain at 8am with an etrex? So I greated the guy with a cheery 'did you find it?' only to have him look at me as if I have three heads. Tried to explain, but he obviously thought I was some crazy woman out on day release......!

I wish I had a dog, a young child or binoculars - so it wouldn't be so obvious! Maybe just a dog lead will do - Molly, mollyyy..! Come on girl! ... Have you seen my dog?

Young children not always the best disguise. Mine quite frequently shout at the top of their lungs "I've found it! or "Did you find the cache yet Mum?"

I have several responses if I'm asked "what are you doing"...

I often say I'm a location scout for the BBC, and we're looking for suitable places to film Eastenders on location

Or I'm looking for rare species of beetle (if I'm looking at tree trunks a bit too carefully)

or I tell them straight - I'm looking for something that's part of a treesure hunt... hat's boring though. However, recently at an event, a local drunk was sat on the bench where the cache was hidden, and Becky (Tigger) just walked straight up to him and said - sorry - we;re just looking for THIS as she pulled out the cache. Thought that was dead funny!

If I'm not asked, I swing the lanyard to my GPS about - its long and red, and often gets mistaken for a dog lead... I once had someone "helpfully" search for my missing dog in the woods with me for 20 mins!!!

Last week I had a Unite for Diabetes TB that was destined for a place a couple of miles from my house so I went to take some pics of the TB to upload. As I was taking a picture of the Thelwall Viaduct in the middle of a violent storm someone stopped their car next to me to ask what I was doing. I said, "Taking a picture". They replied "We've had horse boxes stolen and the police have told me to take the registrations of cars where people are behaving suspiciously like you. I've taken your registration!"

I still don't see that I was doing anything suspicious. Doesn't everyone photograph motorway bridges in the pouring rain? :(

I still don't see that I was doing anything suspicious. Doesn't everyone photograph motorway bridges in the pouring rain? :(

Brilliant!

It's through seeing similar eccentric(?) behaviours that I've had the pleasure of noticing, hence meeting several cachers which just makes the hunt even more pleasurable.

Maybe just a dog lead will do - Molly, mollyyy..! Come on girl! ... Have you seen my dog?

I love this idea. I've 'adopted' neighbours' dogs to go caching with, since we no longer have a dog of our own. But I do still have my old dog's lead. And it would be such a nice thought that little old Pru might be caching with me in spirit - even though she's been gone for nearly 13 years.

That's it, Pru's lead is to become part of my caching kit! :(

Maybe just a dog lead will do - Molly, mollyyy..! Come on girl! ... Have you seen my dog?

I love this idea. I've 'adopted' neighbours' dogs to go caching with, since we no longer have a dog of our own. But I do still have my old dog's lead. And it would be such a nice thought that little old Pru might be caching with me in spirit - even though she's been gone for nearly 13 years.

That's it, Pru's lead is to become part of my caching kit! ;)

That has sparked off an idea ;) - if only I can find Ben's old retractable dog lead, perhaps I could adapt it to hold and disguise my GPSr, and that would be one less thing to carry! ;)

So there I was, sitting down next to a raised walkway, ladysolly pushing a webcam and torch uinderneath and me looking at the field of view on my laptop, when along walked a band of muggles. They stopped, stared, and asked us, "What are you doing?"

I couldn't think of a good lie, so I told them the truth. "I'm inspecting the underside of this walkway."

"Good idea," they nodded approvingly, and moved along.

So there I was, sitting down next to a raised walkway, ladysolly pushing a webcam and torch uinderneath and me looking at the field of view on my laptop, when along walked a band of muggles. They stopped, stared, and asked us, "What are you doing?"

I couldn't think of a good lie, so I told them the truth. "I'm inspecting the underside of this walkway."

"Good idea," they nodded approvingly, and moved along.

That kind of story always goes better with a fluorescent jacket, hard hat, and clipboard :)

To get started, these are just a few things I've spotted....

Shielding shiny new plastic box :(

Clutching handful of printouts :(

Emerging from bushes, looking furtive :blink:

Well, that would describe me yesterday on my first geocaching attempt, having bought my first GPS the previous day. So, do only rookies carry printouts??? :lol:

Took my two boys with me. We didn't find the first two we looked for, but found the third one! Actually my five-year old spotted it. I was standing there and didn't see anything. Then my son points to something and asks "What's that?"

Looking forward to finding more! :P

Edited by steve p